Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: the single greatest shot

serena's serve 194 53.44%
henin's single handed backhand 41 11.29%
graf's forehand 82 22.59%
seles's double handed backhand 14 3.86%
navratilova's backhand volley 8 2.20%
evert's backhand pass 8 2.20%
court's forehand volley 1 0.28%
king's overhead smash 1 0.28%
other 14 3.86%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #121
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaid View Post
How many 'sneaky' dropshots has Martina Hingis executed? Priceless to see the expression on an opponents face..gotta rate hers as the "best" ever!

Barmaid
this is what happened when she hit a couple of drop shot serves against steffi......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #122
country flag Veesus

Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute Veesus has a reputation beyond repute

Venus' backhand
Veesus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #123
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
I agree with this post entirely, in fact, all the other players in this list also had a great game to go with that weapon, as opposed to Serena.
You just can't help yourself, huh?!
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #124
country flag djwebby

djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all djwebby is a name known to all

Serena's serve hands down. There really is no competition and nothing else needs to be said. Close thread please mods. Lol

We are ready for
18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25
djwebby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #125
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
I personally found Henin's driven BH absolutely fug, and it's not like Graf's stroke production on the FH was seamless and aesthetically pleasing. She hit it late with a fugly follow-through. The beauty of Graf's shot was the athleticism and elevation she used to get off that shot, not the shot in its fundamental state.

I'm surprised Davenport's Backhand wasn't included. One of the most gorgeous, fluent shots in tennis.
I'm not surprised. When it comes to esthetics 1HBH wipes the floor with 2HBH.

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating: crowds express amazement to one-handers by gasping and holding their breath and erupting in "ooh"s and "aah"s even before knowing for sure whether the ball has landed in or out.

On the other hand crowds only go as far as applauding and cheering a 100% successful score when it comes to complimenting a 2HBH - which is logical: one can't really be too impressed by a lipstick on a pig (2HBH is arguably the ugliest groundstroke in tennis - the ugliness is at an inherent and fundamental level: two hands are short-swinging around from one end of a human neck to the other end - where is the esthetics in that? Not for nothing that it was frowned upon for over 100 years when tennis was dominated by aristocrats).
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #126
country flag cogent53

cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of cogent53 has much to be proud of

My 2 favourite players are in this poll - Steffi's awesome forehand and Justine's majestic backhand, but despite that, Serena's serve is the best shot in women's tennis IMO - indeed, possibly in all tennis. This summer, she was just unplayable on grass. Such variety and consistency. Yes,ok, the current crop,of top'players aren't the best returners (notable that Aga gave her her toughest grass court victory) but as a weapon, it beats out the groundstrokes of the others in this poll as it is entirely in her control and she makes amazing use of it. Yes, it can have bad days, but working well I don't think there is a better single stoke in the game. Of course, Serena combines it with an astute tennis brain and incredibly intimidating court presence and focus.

Elena Dementieva Angelique Kerber Amelie Mauresmo Sabine Lisicki
Simona Halep
Sam Stosur Andrea Petkovic Svetlana Kuznetsova Maria Sharapova Yaroslava Shvedova

cogent53 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #127
country flag traralgon

traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passierschlag View Post
Anke Huber's backhand crosscourt
there are several examples in this match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrzTI4bs98
I would nominate Laura's backhand crosscourt
traralgon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #128

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogent53 View Post
My 2 favourite players are in this poll - Steffi's awesome forehand and Justine's majestic backhand, but despite that, Serena's serve is the best shot in women's tennis IMO - indeed, possibly in all tennis. This summer, she was just unplayable on grass. Such variety and consistency. Yes,ok, the current crop,of top'players aren't the best returners (notable that Aga gave her her toughest grass court victory) but as a weapon, it beats out the groundstrokes of the others in this poll as it is entirely in her control and she makes amazing use of it. Yes, it can have bad days, but working well I don't think there is a better single stoke in the game. Of course, Serena combines it with an astute tennis brain and incredibly intimidating court presence and focus.
i think serena's serve is slightly overrated......how she served under pressure over the years against great returners is also something that needs to be studied......starting in the mid-late 90s, gaining experience of serving with older rackets and now having access to modern strings these days also does not do her much favour in this argument......

enlighten yourself...
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #129
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i think serena's serve is slightly overrated......how she served under pressure over the years against great returners is also something that needs to be studied......starting in the mid-late 90s, gaining experience of serving with older rackets and now having access to modern strings these days also does not do her much favour in this argument......
Legends of the game, pundits a like have stated the obvious, that it's the greatest serve in the history of the game - simplicity of technique, placement, different spins & speeds. Only Sampras on the men's side fits into this conversation. ...You may need to take your case to court to win this argument, GL
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #130

how good is her second serve? sampras cannot be touched by anybody as far as serve is concerned.....serena is half the server that female version of sampras would be......

enlighten yourself...
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #131
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
Legends of the game, pundits a like have stated the obvious, that it's the greatest serve in the history of the game - simplicity of technique, placement, different spins & speeds. Only Sampras on the men's side fits into this conversation. ...You may need to take your case to court to win this argument, GL
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 04:07 AM   #132
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
how good is her second serve? sampras cannot be touched by anybody as far as serve is concerned.....serena is half the server that female version of sampras would be......
WTA Tour MATCHFACTS Date : 2/25/2013

Pos Player % Match
SECOND SERVE POINTS WON
1 ZHOU , YI-MIAO 59.3 3
2 CEPELOVA , JANA 55.1 3
3 WILLIAMS , SERENA 52.4 14
4 RADWANSKA , AGNIESZKA 51.7 20
5 FLIPKENS , KIRSTEN 51.4 14
6 JOVANOVSKI , BOJANA 51.3 9
7 ORMAECHEA , PAULA 51.0 9
8 ARVIDSSON , SOFIA 50.7 6
9 CHAN , YUNG-JAN 50.6 3
10 RODIONOVA , ANASTASIA 50.5 4
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
WTA Tour MATCHFACTS Date : 2/25/2013

Pos Player % Match
SECOND SERVE POINTS WON
1 ZHOU , YI-MIAO 59.3 3
2 CEPELOVA , JANA 55.1 3
3 WILLIAMS , SERENA 52.4 14
4 RADWANSKA , AGNIESZKA 51.7 20
5 FLIPKENS , KIRSTEN 51.4 14
6 JOVANOVSKI , BOJANA 51.3 9
7 ORMAECHEA , PAULA 51.0 9
8 ARVIDSSON , SOFIA 50.7 6
9 CHAN , YUNG-JAN 50.6 3
10 RODIONOVA , ANASTASIA 50.5 4
winning points on second serve and serving unreturnable second serves can be two different things......any stats on her unreturned second serves?

enlighten yourself...
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #134
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

For me Serena Serve. Serena's Serve is just perfect.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #135
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salve View Post
Venus' backhand
yes yes, but Serena's serve can hold up under pressure.

Serenita is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote