Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: the single greatest shot

serena's serve 194 53.44%
henin's single handed backhand 41 11.29%
graf's forehand 82 22.59%
seles's double handed backhand 14 3.86%
navratilova's backhand volley 8 2.20%
evert's backhand pass 8 2.20%
court's forehand volley 1 0.28%
king's overhead smash 1 0.28%
other 14 3.86%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #61
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
I was going to say Serena's serve and that it was an obvious answer.

But on second thought it's Steffi's forehand. People here say Serena's serve is unbeatable. Then why hasn't she won more slams? It's because it isn't always on.

On the other hand, the Steffi forehand seemed to be always on. It's a huge reason why she dominated so thoroughly with great consistency.
Just so u know my mindset:
Steffi is first in my signature
Steffi > Serena (in singles achievements)

I think good arguments are being made for both shots but your rationale of basing your decission on consistency is odd. its odd because on shot for shot basis Serena's serve is way more consistent and reliable. The amount if unforced errors that Steffi made on that shot far more eclipses the amount of double faults for Rena.

I actually came up with a few reasons to pick Steffi's forehand but consistency is definitely not one. It's no surprise that Serena's serve is far more consistent. You only are allowed to hit a limited amount of serves whereas FHs and rally shots you can hit tons more, which means more opportunity for errors.

When you say consistent could you elaborate further exactly how you define that. And with regards to achievements you already know that no one shot is enough for the kinds if success either player has had, its merely one weapon in a full arsenal of weapons each possesses. Additionally there are so many factors at play I think the majors ones aren't game styles or shots I think the intangibles and mental strength > technique and ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Graf was a more complete player than Serena.

People underestimate the role Steffi's slice played in her baseline game.
A more complete player? Not so sure about that.

As for the Steffi's slice u are right it was underrated but not by me. Here's a thread where I wrote in detail about its effectiveness and the role it played in her game:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...363&highlight=
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #62
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Serena's serve is a great weapon , but it's a weapon only in serve games , in ATP big servers have problems even on fast surfaces vs the likes of Federer , who can still beat any servebot 7-6, 7-6, 7-6
Serena is not a servebot , she has a number of weapons and her forehand/backhand are in top 10 best ever, so she is not only relying on her serve

At the same time i think it's possible to have everything average + Steffi's forehand to win Slams,

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #63
country flag Tennisation

Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute Tennisation has a reputation beyond repute

It's a really tough call for me between Serena's serve and Steffi's forehand. Serena's serve is just near perfection and many girls who are taller than her can't even serve properly, let alone having the speed, motion, ball toss, placement, and accuracy that Serena has. Steffi's forehand is such a weapon that it completely compensates for her weakness, the backhand. Her forehand still would have been a weapon in today's game. When it comes down to it, I'm going with Steffi's forehand purely because it was the shot that inspired me to pick up a racket.
Tennisation is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #64
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Serena's serve isn't a great shot. I have far more respect for other parts of her game than her serve, which pretty much just relies on brute strength for its effectiveness.

Hey, here we have the child of mama the Manmountain.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #65
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Rena's serve, her career is what it is because of that.
Same goes for Steffi Graf and forehand.

Thanks for chipping it though.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #66
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
I was going to say Serena's serve and that it was an obvious answer.

But on second thought it's Steffi's forehand. People here say Serena's serve is unbeatable. Then why hasn't she won more slams? It's because it isn't always on.
Why hasn't Steffi won more slams? She certainly had far weaker competition.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #67
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
graf is the best mover ever on a tennis court and she can be put in any era......

better rackets would add more spin and power to her already great forehand......

serving has gone down in women's tennis mainly because most of them have started investing more in training & fitness, groundstrokes and less in elements like serving, volleying etc......graf was still fitter than almost any player today and possessed an overall groundgame as good as anyone's......

legends are just something else.....you normally know when you see them......and graf is one......
the reason why Graf struggled with Seles is because of her weight of shot, considering many women can hit as hard as Seles if not harder, Graf's weapon will decrease because she wouldn't able to move around her forehand as much, and considering her backhand is pretty attackable player can hit their shots better.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #68
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
the reason why Graf struggled with Seles is because of her weight of shot, considering many women can hit as hard as Seles if not harder, Graf's weapon will decrease because she wouldn't able to move around her forehand as much, and considering her backhand is pretty attackable player can hit their shots better.

you are forgetting about new racquets/strings ..... that's why "many women can hit as hard as Seles" , but actually just a few could have overpowered Graf with old racquets

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #69
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
But Graf faced even bigger hitters than Seles at the end of her career and did quite well against them, no?
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #70
country flag serenafann

serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of serenafann has much to be proud of

Serena's serve got my vote,the best ever!

"Serena Derangement Syndrome"is Real-You Sad Bitter Pathological Haters/Liars in the Tennis media-Nothing You Say Or Write will Diminish Her GREATNESS!!
serenafann is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #71
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Voted for Henin's BH because its iconic and it looks so effortless when she hits it, unlike Serena's serve, it doesn't take much tehnique to hit it like that, just muscles.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #72
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It View Post
Voted for Henin's BH because its iconic and it looks so effortless when she hits it, unlike Serena's serve, it doesn't take much tehnique to hit it like that, just muscles.
Yea right.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #73
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

You rightly discuss the big names here and you can`t compare Barthel to any of the mentioned players.

Nontheless, looking simply at the shot in technical issues and variability her double handed backhand is for sure one of the best I`ve ever seen in tennis and I`ve seen a lot.
joy division is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #74
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
Yea right.
Ask Ivo Karlovic, he got into the patter and its just smashing it
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #75
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which of these is the Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
What ? Just rewatch Graf pounding Seles' forehand to death with her sliced backhand over and over...
More like Seles pounding Graf's sliced backhand over and over with her forehand...
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote