Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: the single greatest shot

serena's serve 194 53.44%
henin's single handed backhand 41 11.29%
graf's forehand 82 22.59%
seles's double handed backhand 14 3.86%
navratilova's backhand volley 8 2.20%
evert's backhand pass 8 2.20%
court's forehand volley 1 0.28%
king's overhead smash 1 0.28%
other 14 3.86%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #46
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which of these is the Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWarrior View Post
What ? Just rewatch Graf pounding Seles' forehand to death with her sliced backhand over and over...
Any particular match u want me to watch- I practically have a full library of almost every Steffi match and a pretty descent size collection of Seles videos as well. So the days of u having to school me are over before they even begin.

Are you trying to imply that there's a general consensus that Seles backhand was superior to her forehand? Even though I ask the question I already know the answer and it's NO there isn't. When they used to debate which shot was better the usual take away was that Seles got slightly better use of her angles off the backhand while she was slightly more consistent with the forehand. Most people tend to think its even and if people do pick a side it's usually by a hair. I stand by my original assessment In that there is no significant advantage or difference.

Re:Steffi and how she could "pound" Seles forehand, well that's more of a matter of a particular matchup. What one opponent can exploit might make one shot less effective against that particular opponent but it might be opposite with another opponent. Steffi tended to slice her backhand cross court going into most players backhands. Well since Seles is left handed Steffi's slice went into her forehand and we all know that most power players don't like to tea off on a slice shot because of the ball being so low. It's obviously more difficult to hit with pace having to bring the ball back up high enough to get over the net from the low trajectory from the slice. All u manged to prove is how this particular shot was less effective against Graf and my original comments had nothing to do with Graf.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #47
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Serena's serve. First it, it's easily the prettiest serve in the history of the game. Second, Serena's serve singlehandedly win her matches. Serena's serve is the only thing that won her that 2010 Australian Open final, for example.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #48
country flag NoppaNoppa

NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future NoppaNoppa has a brilliant future

Have to go with Serenas serve here. Steffis FH did similar damege, but against lesser opponents.
NoppaNoppa is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #49
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Rena's serve, her career is what it is because of that.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #50
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute

Serena's serve. It's what's won her many, many matches anyone else, including the Greats on this list, couldn't have done.

Following that I'd say Graf's forehand.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #51
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

Serena's serve isn't a great shot. I have far more respect for other parts of her game than her serve, which pretty much just relies on brute strength for its effectiveness.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #52
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Caro's windshield wiper forehand
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #53
country flag Sir Stefwhit

Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute Sir Stefwhit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Serena's serve isn't a great shot. I have far more respect for other parts of her game than her serve, which pretty much just relies on brute strength for its effectiveness.
are u new to tennis? I'm asking seriously and not trying to be insulting.

No question, Serena can muscle a serve like no ones business, but that's just one of many reasons why her serve is such a great weapon.

It all starts with her ball toss, that's the biggest key. She is able to get the ball in the same spot each time and more remarkable she uses the same toss for all her serves. Usually u can watch your opponent and gage where the serve is going to go because most people give it away on the toss. Since Serena's motion is the same you can't read it, she has total disguise.

Next ingredient is variety. Serena produces aces going wide hitting angles as well as going down the "T". So she's got the flat fast serve that u mentioned, the angled serve which usually isn't even a fast serve, she's got a spin serve which again doesn't rely on speed, slice serve, and her legendary kick serve.

So the notion that Serena's serve is merely a "brute" serve is faulty (excuse the bad pun...)- but seriously, there's no truth in that. Had u criticized Venus for that I might be a little more inclined to agree.
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #54
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

Maybe I sounded like I was talking it down a bit because we are talking in terms of the all time great shots in the history of the game.

Don't get me wrong, Serena's serve is very, very good. Even is she hit it at a 'normal' speed it would still be one of the best (probably the best) on tour. But the thing that makes it so amazing is how hard she is able to muscle it.

I guess what I am saying is that in terms of all-time great shots I am a bigger fan of the ones that don't really rely on brute strength in order to achieve that status.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #55
country flag Luminous One

Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold Luminous One is a splendid one to behold

Hingis huge forehead. A cerebral tundra of mischief and disdain.
Luminous One is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #56
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say Serena's serve and that it was an obvious answer.

But on second thought it's Steffi's forehand. People here say Serena's serve is unbeatable. Then why hasn't she won more slams? It's because it isn't always on.

On the other hand, the Steffi forehand seemed to be always on. It's a huge reason why she dominated so thoroughly with great consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #57
country flag JJ all the way

JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute JJ all the way has a reputation beyond repute

you forgot azarenka's rib.......won her the AO
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #58
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous One View Post
Hingis huge forehead. A cerebral tundra of mischief and disdain.
Hey... Caro has a huge forehead too!
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #59
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
I was going to say Serena's serve and that it was an obvious answer.

But on second thought it's Steffi's forehand. People here say Serena's serve is unbeatable. Then why hasn't she won more slams? It's because it isn't always on.

On the other hand, the Steffi forehand seemed to be always on. It's a huge reason why she dominated so thoroughly with great consistency.
Graf was a more complete player than Serena.

People underestimate the role Steffi's slice played in her baseline game.
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #60
country flag Otlichno
Hammer of Thor

Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderFan View Post
Ivanovic's flat forehand 2006-2008
I cannot.
Otlichno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote