Next 'Great' Player - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #46
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future
Re: Next 'Great' Player

Wasn't Ivanovic supposed to be the next big thing ?
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #47
country flag 雨傘

雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future

Of the current players, only Sabine is the one I hold out hope for. Neither Azarenka or Kvitova look like the player to take over from Queen Serena. If only Sabine can just pull her crap together. Please, if only she will learn how to compose and apply her power in a measured way like Serena - which is why I like Serena these days. Sabine is like every bbb, she doesn't see she has to build up her forces out there on the court, instead, she is rather simple minded, just have a go at it and hope screaming winners outnumber the howlers. Of course, it goes either way and mostly falls on the side of errors. Look at Radwanska, she consistently piles the pressure until people break themselves on her steadiness. If she or Zheng had Sabine's tremendous tennis playing physique and power. To me, Sabine resembles an enormously powerful sports car - unfortunately, missing a few screws here, a few parts missing there, an engine installed upside down ..... so she has these wild up and down, up and down spurts of power but mostly stutters and splutters along until she falls flat. One hopes Sanchez will finally be the mechanic to take her game apart and put it back in the right order.
雨傘 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #48
country flag viktory

viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future viktory has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
Since Navratilova -> Graf -> Seles -> Hingis -> Davenport -> Capriati -> Venus -> Serena -> Henin -> Clijsters -> Sharapova -> Mauresmo -> Azarenka

Some were greater than others, but all of the above were great.

in order:

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Henin
4. Graf
5. Hingis
6. Davenport
7. Clijsters
8. Seles
9. Navratilova
10. Azarenka
11. Sharapova
12. Mauresmo
13. Capriati
should have mentioned the list is in order of your liking the players. People will think you are trolling if they get an idea that you are saying this is the order of their greatness. I mean kim over seles,vika over masha.
viktory is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #49
country flag Yoncé
On His Mouth Like Liquor

Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute Yoncé has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
Never.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #50
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #51
country flag brickhousesupporter

brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute brickhousesupporter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
It could be a player of current gen? Look at Serena in 2001 prior to US Open she was regularly losing GS QF

Look at her GS results between 1999 USO title and the 2002 RG

2000 AO - R16
2000 RG - DNP
2000 Wim - SF
2000 USO - QF
2001 AO - QF
2001 RG - QF
2001 Win - QF
2001 USO - Final
2002 AO - DNP

What I am saying in that period I doubt we were saying Serena will be the player she is today.
My name has never changed. I have alway been a fan of Serena and that was way before she had the GS results........
Right now, there just doesn't seem to be an athletic player with power and good tennis skills. Remember all the greats of their eras were though to be excellent athletes with great power and tennis skills, especially when compared to their contemporaries.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #52
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom_Sabine View Post
Of the current players, only Sabine is the one I hold out hope for. Neither Azarenka or Kvitova look like the player to take over from Queen Serena. If only Sabine can just pull her crap together. Please, if only she will learn how to compose and apply her power in a measured way like Serena - which is why I like Serena these days. Sabine is like every bbb, she doesn't see she has to build up her forces out there on the court, instead, she is rather simple minded, just have a go at it and hope screaming winners outnumber the howlers. Of course, it goes either way and mostly falls on the side of errors. Look at Radwanska, she consistently piles the pressure until people break themselves on her steadiness. If she or Zheng had Sabine's tremendous tennis playing physique and power. To me, Sabine resembles an enormously powerful sports car - unfortunately, missing a few screws here, a few parts missing there, an engine installed upside down ..... so she has these wild up and down, up and down spurts of power but mostly stutters and splutters along until she falls flat. One hopes Sanchez will finally be the mechanic to take her game apart and put it back in the right order.
Lisicki the next great player? I would agree if she didn't have terrible speed and footwork, a poor backhand, a hit or miss forehand, a serve she gets in occasionally, and the mental toughness of a wet paper bag. BTW, Azarenka and Kvitova have won slams, call me when Lisicki does
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #53
country flag Lilowannabe

Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1979 View Post
It could be a player of current gen? Look at Serena in 2001 prior to US Open she was regularly losing GS QF

Look at her GS results between 1999 USO title and the 2002 RG

2000 AO - R16
2000 RG - DNP
2000 Wim - SF
2000 USO - QF
2001 AO - QF
2001 RG - QF
2001 Win - QF
2001 USO - Final
2002 AO - DNP

What I am saying in that period I doubt we were saying Serena will be the player she is today.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App
But you are referring to results of an 18-19 year old. And she was often a favourite to win slams (wimbly 00, us open 00/01) she just seemed to lack maturity at the time. A 19 year old Serena at the US in 2001 looked to finally have found her range. A Navratilova, too, took time to mature. These women though, had the game at 17. I don't see that with many, if any young players coming up. Madison keys though does possess some promise, but I doubt it'll led to greatness

big support for... Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova, Ana Ivanovic, Vika Azarenka
Lilowannabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #54
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
Since Navratilova -> Graf -> Seles -> Hingis -> Davenport -> Capriati -> Venus -> Serena -> Henin -> Clijsters -> Sharapova -> Mauresmo -> Azarenka
I don't see those as being "the greats" Being "a great" isn't the same as just being a great player. There has to be an unusual degree of standing out. For me, the Open Era greats are:
Court, Evert, Graf, Seles, Navratilova, S.Williams. Maybe King.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #55
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Madison Keys is really amazing. I think she has the attitude to be a great player as well.

It's a little early to talk about Konjuh.
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #56
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sounds like a Jaguar

So let's just say she has electrical problems
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #57
country flag 雨傘

雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future 雨傘 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroalltheway View Post
Lisicki the next great player? I would agree if she didn't have terrible speed and footwork, a poor backhand, a hit or miss forehand, a serve she gets in occasionally, and the mental toughness of a wet paper bag. BTW, Azarenka and Kvitova have won slams, call me when Lisicki does
I just don't see Azarenka as being the double digit slam type over a decade of dominance, do you? Her Australian form is already cracking up I can't believe 2013 will be a repeat of 2012 where she nearly won 3 slams. Since 2011, I had hoped for Kvitova and Lisicki to keep improving and rule the rest of the 2010's but Kvitova is getting tubbier and tubbier, and Sabine is still a sum of brilliant but broken parts. Likely we will just see a bunch of Kvitova types at best, one or two good years and then form fades just as quickly, and not a Queen Serena type.
雨傘 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #58
country flag caroalltheway

caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future caroalltheway has a brilliant future

Quote:
I just don't see Azarenka as being the double digit slam type over a decade of dominance, do you? Her Australian form is already cracking up I can't believe 2013 will be a repeat of 2012 where she nearly won 3 slams. Since 2011, I had hoped for Kvitova and Lisicki to keep improving and rule the rest of the 2010's but Kvitova is getting tubbier and tubbier, and Sabine is still a sum of brilliant but broken parts. Likely we will just see a bunch of Kvitova types at best, one or two good years and then form fades just as quickly, and not a Queen Serena type.
Unfortunately I agree with this. Players now days just don't have the drive and determination of players from the past.
caroalltheway is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #59
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroalltheway View Post
Unfortunately I agree with this. Players now days just don't have the drive and determination of players from the past.
They don't? I believe that is BS and a myth.

Azarenka surely has the determination and drive. If anything, the players nowadays are working harder than before (with the exception of a few players), but even then, we don't know what kind of work they are truly putting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #60
country flag Queen Vika

Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute Queen Vika has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka will win more slams, i guarantee you. If she just works on her serve and can keep her head together on more occaisions, she will be the dominant player.
Queen Vika is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote