Why is it the 'Serena Slam' when Graf did this - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:19 AM   #1
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
Why is it the 'Serena Slam' when Graf did this

back from 1993-1994??
carried the weight on my own
Had to be strong
so I believed
and now I know I've succeeded
in finding the place I conceived
jenglisbe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #2
country flag Scotso

Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute Scotso has a reputation beyond repute
Because Graf wasn't American.

Le Poussin! Faithfully ignoring the haters since 1995.

Le Poulailler de Poussin! (Simontarded.)

Ron Paul for President 2012!
Scotso is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:16 AM   #3
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
"Because Graf wasn't American"

100% but of course also because it was so controversial those days (when not steffi's fault)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #4
selesfan

selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold
Whats the big deal? Its the name Serena gave it. It is her slam she can call it what she wishes. It isn't an official name for a slam.
selesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:21 AM   #5
Tennis Fan 007

Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point
I always thought it was called a GRAND SLAM (meaning)
Winning all 4 in the same year starting with the
Australian Open and ending with the US Open
Or maybe I'm wrong just winning 4 in a row.

In any event that was then called a GRAND SLAM
Tennis Fan 007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #6
selesfan

selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold selesfan is a splendid one to behold
Thats why Serena named it the Serena slam because it is not a Grand Slam which is 4 slams in one calendar year.
selesfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #7
Tennis Fan 007

Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point Tennis Fan 007 is an unknown quantity at this point
So then is she the only player to do this?
Tennis Fan 007 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #8
jenglisbe

jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold jenglisbe is a splendid one to behold
TennisFan - no, she isn't; that was the reason I started this. Steffi did this in 1993-1994 when she won the exact same order of majors...

selesfan - the big deal is that if it's going to have a name, it should go to the person who did it first; to call it the "Serena Slam" is an injustice to Graf
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #9
aisha

aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute aisha has a reputation beyond repute
aisha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10
country flag ~RedRose~

~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts ~RedRose~ is infamous around these parts
Serena knew it wasnt a grand slam ... she took off tiger woods ... tiger slam ... and called it her Serena Slam .... its not a big deal ... let the girl have some fun ... geesh!!
~RedRose~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #11
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jenglisbe
TennisFan - no, she isn't; that was the reason I started this. Steffi did this in 1993-1994 when she won the exact same order of majors...

selesfan - the big deal is that if it's going to have a name, it should go to the person who did it first; to call it the "Serena Slam" is an injustice to Graf
Lol. If you're going to get up in arms about this then let's credit the person who did the non-calendar slam first. Martina Navratilova did it before Steffi Graf.

Anyway, so what if she calls it a Serena Slam - it's true for this period of time!
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #12
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
She called it that because she couldnt call it a Grand Slam. Graf could have called hers the Steffi Slam, and Martina the Martina Slam, but they didnt, so thats their problem, not Serena fault.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #13
jenglisbe

MIrjanaFan - My point being that Graf won the same exact oder of majors; When Martina N did it, she won the French last so hers is unique from others.
Had to be strong
so I believed
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #14
country flag tia clara
California Dreamer

tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice tia clara is just really nice
Serena has a better agent and PR people than Steffi did back then.
Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #15
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
a better coach too (oops that has nothing to do with it)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote