Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 52 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #766
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

just guessing, but I think she'll probably go to Europe after Dothan like last year.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #767
ajmo!

ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future

Yes, she always plays same events. She entered Fes this year but list is stronger than ever and she wont make it to MD.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #768
ajmo!

ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future ajmo! has a brilliant future

where is this game? it seems to me like she almost didn't even try to hit hard, like she had natural speed in her shots. these days, every shot seems to be hit as hard as possible.
look return at 6:00, nobody hits that good. just sorry they didsn't allow her to play wimbledon that year.

i think also this racquet was great for her, no throat and long grip

Last edited by ajmo! : Apr 5th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #769
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future

I've said this before. When you watch her in 99 against Seles and Tauziat at Wimbledon. She seemed comfortable throughout the whole court and played drop shots and volleys well and could rally for 25 shots on one point . By the time she played Venus at the US Open she had turned into a totally one dimensional player relying entirely on power and very little else.
markdelaney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #770
ajmo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdelaney View Post
I've said this before. When you watch her in 99 against Seles and Tauziat at Wimbledon. She seemed comfortable throughout the whole court and played drop shots and volleys well and could rally for 25 shots on one point . By the time she played Venus at the US Open she had turned into a totally one dimensional player relying entirely on power and very little else.
Do you know if it's possible to find match against Tauziat online?
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #771
ajmo!

True. She was playing smart. Look 5 next point from 7:20, completely different player to Mirjana today. and point at 10:20 is probably the best of her career. She finished both sets with volley, first serve & volley.

Different style in 2012 against same type of players. Everything's hit as hard as it gets, and she got it together for that tournament(but no for the rest of the year).But 2012 was he huge chance in Wimbledon for a glorious result. She was so close against Vinci, should have won that match. With Paszek in R4 and possibly Azarenka in QF she had a chance (I mean, she would have had a chance if she def. Vinci). If she played Azarenka any other time on grass she would probably have no big chances.

I really wish HRT(Cro TV) would show some old matches from WTA Bol, but they're not really Lucic fans. A while ago they wre showing different matches and among those was Prpic winning Umag( Mirjana's current coahc) but they never showed Lucic in Bol.

Last edited by ajmo! : Apr 7th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #772
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future

Thanks for those clips ! Those 5 points you illustrated and that winning point at 10.20 are perfect examples of how well she was playing at that stage in her career and the variety she was capable of producing. I defy anyone to say she is a better player now. The proof is there ! That lob was brilliant. The deft touch at the net, the subtle angles. It's all gone ! I've never seen her attempt a lob in any of the matches she has played on her comeback and her net play is generally very poor with no control at all. Her winners all seem to be service dominated (when the first serve goes in) or a power shot and every point sees the ball hit like a train is coming. The Bartoli match was a day where her power game worked more consistently and the nerves in tight positions,which usually see a meltdown, seemed to stay away. She didn't play for a month after Wimbledon and I felt any kind of form she built up was totally wasted and we were back to the player that she has become once again.

So what happened for her to just adapt to this totally one dimensional game ? It was around 1999-2000 that Venus and Serena were coming to the top, Lindsay won Wimbledon and the Australian , Serena the US Open, Pierce took the French the following year. Then Venus took Wimbledon and the US Open . All players with massive power games who were winning the slams and dominating so perhaps the thought of "I have to play like that to win slams" was the mentality by then ? Who knows ? The problem is her game was too error prone to play ONLY in that style. 14 months after Wimbledon 1999 she was outside the top 200 and had only won 2 matches in the entire year by the time the US Open came around, where she was already playing this 100% power game that couldn't possibly succeed. Then at the French in 2001 she qualified and made the third round with some great tennis but in wimbledon qualifying she lost 1R to Nirupama Sanjeev including a 0-6 set. At the start of 2002 she lost in the 1R of a 10k tournament in straight sets to Andrea Nathan (No.468) so this isn't the problem since the comeback. This was already in place by 2000. I last watched her at the Wimbledon qualifiers in 2003. She won her first 2 rounds easily against higher ranked opponents and then had to play Lilia Osterloh to qualify. She lost the first 7 games, won 8 of the next 10 to go 0-6 6-2 2-1 and then fell apart and lost the last 5 games and that performance is pretty much typical of how she plays now. One dimensional and no consistency, but occasional streaks of brilliance that can last anything from 2 games to 8 . It's frustrating to see and sadly she is running out of last chances.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #773
country flag markdelaney

I think I still have the VHS recording of the second day of the Tauziat match (It was suspended overnight at either 3-1 or 4-2 final set but you can see the last 4 games at least). I have no clue as to how to transfer this on to a computer so I'll ask Mark (Husband) how to do this later on.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #774
ajmo!

Watching Serena and Venus documentary, it makes me think how somebody should really make a movie about Lucic. maybe it wouldn't not have had glorious end in terms of tennis success but her story is very inspirational. Being one of the best tennis players at such a young age, then problem she had with her father and escaping from him. Further problems with IMG and dealing with depression and financial problems from 2001-2007. Then comeback to Croatia, a lot of hope, but again no luck. And her big hearth that carried her 2 years on lowest tournaments, with no crowd, money award or anything. But things came around for her, she's happy and that's what counts. We'll and probably she'll always think she could have been one of the biggest champions this sport has ever seen. but it was not to be. On the other hand, there's no bigger success in life than to be happy so maybe it's even better this way. As a fan, I enjoy every minute on big courts she gets, and hope one day something glorious happens.. But she's living her life, and that's most important for her (as a person).
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #775
country flag KingOfSwing

KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all

I watch this tape of Graf and lucic you posted but respectfully I don't see a difference from then to today . ;mistake, mistake, mistake, mistake, big winner. ;mistake, mistake, mistake,,mistake,mbigmwinner. Maybe then she has the bit of confidence that comes being young, that extra bit. I see that. Maybe she doesn't doubt herself,then, as much. She <Mirjana> reminds me so much of Mary Pierce. That big flat attack. But Mary knew to play points better, mostly. I saw that match of mirjana against Lucie on stream and Mirjana did pretty good except for bad choices on important points. Maybe she could get away with bad choices more as a kid but not now. I see no difference at all. Same amount of really uninspired net play and bad drop shots and lobs too. But it's wrong to insult her because the win over Oprandi on that surface was really very good and look didn't she beat Voglele who is in form and getting to semi finals in Mexico? I don't know if lucic has any coaches or help but it could be worse. I like Lucie so I saw that match but it also reminded me how nice it wasmtomsee Lucic on the courts in important tournaments again. Yes her story is inspiring. But her tennis, to me, seems more a case of really stupid or bad tactics and shot choices than lack of talent. anyone can see she has talent. I think she's been making some noise lately. hey you don't just beat Romina on clay for no reason. And she did good against lucie in australia and i think Lucie killed her same event last year in charleston totally killed her so, I thought she put some big games out there in that first set. To me it was just dumb choices on points that should have played themselves. You can tell lucic thinks she should be making these shots like a champion and they should be going in. But then they don't. She needs a coach to my opinion. Just great to see her name and game in matches these days honestly.
KingOfSwing is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #776
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

Her drop shot is actually pretty good. She burned Safarova at least twice with it and didn't miss any that I saw. She doesn't hit lobs much probably because she hardly ever draws her opponent into the net other than with the drop shots which are usually good enough that her opponent doesn't get them back deep thus no need for the lob. I think the big difference you see from the Graf 1997 match can partly be attributed to Racquet technology. What doesn't look like killer pace now could have been so in 1997ook at the video again. Does Graf's pace of shot look as hard to you now as it did back then? I think Lucic was basically a power player back then as well as now. Finally, I don't think she was even full grown heightwise in 1997. She probably added a little power between 1997=1999 when she was full grown.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #777
country flag SERVivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdelaney View Post
I think I still have the VHS recording of the second day of the Tauziat match (It was suspended overnight at either 3-1 or 4-2 final set but you can see the last 4 games at least). I have no clue as to how to transfer this on to a computer so I'll ask Mark (Husband) how to do this later on.
we all thought you were Mark. LOL.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #778
country flag SERVivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
True. She was playing smart. Look 5 next point from 7:20, completely different player to Mirjana today. and point at 10:20 is probably the best of her career. She finished both sets with volley, first serve & volley.

Different style in 2012 against same type of players. Everything's hit as hard as it gets, and she got it together for that tournament(but no for the rest of the year).But 2012 was he huge chance in Wimbledon for a glorious result. She was so close against Vinci, should have won that match. With Paszek in R4 and possibly Azarenka in QF she had a chance (I mean, she would have had a chance if she def. Vinci). If she played Azarenka any other time on grass she would probably have no big chances.

I really wish HRT(Cro TV) would show some old matches from WTA Bol, but they're not really Lucic fans. A while ago they wre showing different matches and among those was Prpic winning Umag( Mirjana's current coahc) but they never showed Lucic in Bol.
I am glad this particular video is on you tube because its her best performance, by far, in her comeback. Consistent power, huge serve, and solid nerves in crucial situations.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #779
country flag KingOfSwing

KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all KingOfSwing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVivor View Post
I am glad this particular video is on you tube because its her best performance, by far, in her comeback. Consistent power, huge serve, and solid nerves in crucial situations.
Oh this? I saw bits from this last year and ashamed to say I did not even know Mirijana Lucic was even playing tennis still. Or again or whatever. It was a little shocking. Then I see her results (like a bad loss to Lucie, my personal favorite) that season and so on andmsomforth. I don't know. So easy to say Lucic at her very best has power to beat anyone, even now, and its true. But seems she is not a player who can produce her good tennis onthe regular basis. Then again with lucic there is always this suspicion that she can find one tournament or whatever and reel off scalps and scalps and scalps. From these matches one things anyonencannsay is that she is so much more physically fit than back when she was well / a pudgy kid. My thought, from watching her play Lucie: her tennis instincts suck. She is tall and powerful enough to getnthingsndone but she does not have court instincts she can rely on. Like she has open court and easy cross court hit and she plops some awful hit into the tape going down the line. Out of nowhere. Game safarova. I'm glad Lucie won, but I was also interested to see it was MIRIJana Lucic she was playing. Then Mirijana came close to it. I mean Lucie is top 20 and she hits as hard as mirijana. Well she hits harder and more consistent than lucic. But lucic is shotmaker. If she learned to mentally play tennis she would be top 20. Good serve like hers and she's not a bad mover. Not great but not bad. Someone need tell her to stick to a game plan with shots and not suddenly go off the plan. That's why lucite is top 20. Lucie knows how to work every point, even though she really is not so tall or strong as a player like lucic. But for sure how could anybody not have a little soft spot for lucic. If she ever learns to play tennis look out. But the chances of it now?
KingOfSwing is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #780
country flag markdelaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVivor View Post
we all thought you were Mark. LOL.
No he signed the account up for me because I'm female and from Caucasia and therefore useless with anything technological . I should have a Georgian flag not that thing

We used to record a lot of matches from TV so I am sure we have the Tauziat match from Wimbledon. I remember Natalie served for it at 5-2 and 5-4 and was broken to 30 both times. The first time with 2 drop shots and an impecable lob and the second time with her returns and a brilliant half volley at the net. I just don't see that net game with her now. Of course she always had incredible power but she seemed to have the confidence to play more of a touch game when needed to . She played 7 tournaments in 1997 as a 14/15 year old she finished with 32 wins and 5 losses, beating players such as Coetzer, Wiesner, Zvereva, Tauziat. In 1998 she lost 3-6 6-4 7-5 to Serena, beats Mary Pierce 7-5 6-4 on Clay.
Obviously so few of her matches are televised or streamed these days so we don't have many chances to compare it all. I don't think racquet technology developed so much between Wimbledon 1999 and October 2000 to cause such a huge drop in her consistency and results. The tennis Mary Pierce played at RG to get to the final in 94 was as hard hitting and dominant as any performance of any player in 2000 in my opinion, but it's good that we all have different theories. Just a shame that we can't somehow cure her of whatever has stopped her developing into the champion she really ought to be.