Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 35 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #511
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufeAiU-6UE
somebody posted this on utube yesterday
she actually won a game at 0-5 but wrong call took it away
nice to see sam smith giving some credit to lucic after the match

Last edited by ajmo! : Feb 27th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #512
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Mirjana rather out of shape for that disastrous 02 encounter. I suppose it does lend some perspective on her obvious improvements almost 13 (Yikes!) years later.

She simply needs to keep improving the huge weapons she already possesses -- there is never going to be a "Plan B" for her because, as it has been said, she is not a Plan B kind of player. There is no point for a Plan B, for such a player. And strategically speaking, it really is not rocket science for Mirjana, either. Doesn't need to be. She is a first-strike player -- that is what she is meant to play. She is meant to try for a BIG serve, elicit a short reply, and put the ball away in one, two, or three shots at the very most, point after point. In baseline rallies she must use her power to play the percentages and angles and likewise bring her opponent off-court or force an error or short reply that can become a set-up winner. If she manages to do that, the only "shot selection" Mirjana has to make is: which corner is best to put away the ball? Left or right? Or: Do I have an obvious and really sweet down-the-line opening on either side?

Then she chooses the best percentage, makes her drive, and puts it away. It truly is that straightforward for her. There really is no "point construction" for her, and we should not expect any. She is not Errani or Vinci. If she gets caught in a long rally, she doesn't need to mix it up or plot points ... She just needs to play the percentages as best she can with her (usually superior) power and wait for a short reply to put the ball away. Mirjana does not need to make a lot of complicated choices out there, not with her style.

That is not a discredit to her at all -- that is her brand of tennis. On return games she also has to be super aggressive with those on-the-rise shots and also play the percentages unless she spies and obvious opening or is in prime position for a low-percentage winner.

Her challenge has been maintaining the fitness and focus to execute according to the demands of such a powerful game. The fitness is no longer a problem. Now, she simply needs to keep her composure and be in position to execute while avoiding loss of focus, which is when she utterly goes to hell and, say, hits a forehand down the line into the spectator stands, 20 feet out, from behind her ass, when all she has to do is blast the crosscourt high-percentage drive and either miss or stay in the game, but not look ridiculous due to the fact that she is not concentrating and is out of position.

Otherwise, Mirjana knows how to play the game of tennis. There are little things she can do for defense -- things that she picked-up from a childhood on clay: topspin lobs; drop-shots; slice backhands to stay alive when way off court. But these are peripheral.

With her reach she could add a surprise charge to the net on a good approach every now & then. Also peripheral.

Otherwise, it's all first-strike tennis and being able to execute with reasonably high percentages without losing her concentration. She has improved, surely, but Prpic needs to look for ways to keep her emotions in check out there. Give her a few more breaths before rushing a toss or being tempted to abandon the high percentage shot.

And she does need a freakin' break in a draw. Damn ... If she had met a crap player in Australia, she probably would have been ahead 100 or 160 points by now. She blinked twice against Cepelova (who is now in the quarters, BTW) otherwise she would have at least 200 or so points in the bag, as Ajmo noted. And he's also correct about the fact that being no.82 is not of interest anymore. She wants a big result of some kind.

The right draw, the right frame of mind ... It is going to happen. She simply has to stay VERY vigilant for opportunities in the next few months or else she could free-fall after Wimbledon and the. She might as well kiss it all goodbye (or stick mostly to doubles, if she keeps doing nicely there).

But Mirjana is very much on track for a big result, and I think she knows it, and I think we know it ... unless she meets the top seed in every event from now until W. I mean, Olga freaking Puchkova, for crying out loud. Heading to the QFs and Top 100, here.

If THAT can happen, Mirjana's moment is coming soon. Hope she and Alves stay frosty in the dubs.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #513
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of SERVivor has much to be proud of

I just watched some of the youtube of the 2002 match against Venus. Wow, she was heavy, and the announcer said she had lost 20 pounds already. I think this match deflated her, because they were saying she was poised for a comeback, etc, and she really didn't win anything after this match and then stopped playing.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #514
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Her doubles match is on the SB. Does anybody know of any good streams?
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #515
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Already down a break, 2-3
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #516
country flag networthy

Down two breaks, 2-5
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #517
country flag networthy

Gonna stop following SB
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #518
country flag MLF

MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute MLF has a reputation beyond repute

Doubles on :

http://lsh.streamhunter.eu/static/po...954336030.html
MLF is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #519
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

26 61 9-11
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #520
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

damn, very close.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #521
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Mirjana & Alves were down 4-9 in the final set breaker, saved 5 MPs in a row to even it back to 9-9 on Mirjana's serve, immediately gave-up a mini-break and Keothavong served it out to win 11-9.

I thought for sure they would steal it by such a dramatic 5-point surge and their own serve.

Not to be. On to Indian Wells and a hopefully fortuitous experience there in the qualifiers. If she can even qualify, it's a triumph.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #522
ajmo!

Alves saying after the match that tb is a game of luck and everything happens so soon that you have no time to think. She also said that at 5-9 they were mostly palying at keothavong because she seemed very nervous.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #523
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
Alves saying after the match that tb is a game of luck and everything happens so soon that you have no time to think. She also said that at 5-9 they were mostly palying at keothavong because she seemed very nervous.
Yeah. Too bad ... Mirjana was really fighting (and so was Alves, for that matter).

Best best best luck to Mirjana in Indian Wells. Something special IS going to happen at one of these events. She's playing some strong tennis and all the pieces are in place to do damage every week.

Keep 'da Faith, Lucicians. Or Lucic-Baronians.
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #524
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they play together again. I think they are a good combo
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM   #525
ajmo!

Keothavong/Sav. in final