Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign - Page 34 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #496
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

And losing to Venus 3 and 3 is nothing to be ashamed of, but that last service game ... Case in point. Go see a sports shrink, Mirjana.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #497
country flag WhatTheDeuce
11/11/11

WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute WhatTheDeuce has a reputation beyond repute

The fact of the matter is she plays such low percentage, risky, often times stupid tennis that it's hard for her to capitalize on chances and close out even the Cepelova's of the world. You just can't give away that many errors against any decent player. It's not a mental problem or a lack of effort, it's an unrelenting stubbornness to play a certain way without a plan B, no matter what the circumstance or who the opposition is. It's really as simple as that. Confidence is important for sure, but even at her most confident, she still sprays the ball way too much and makes a lot of silly decisions on the court. It's just who she is as a player.
Never come

WhatTheDeuce is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #498
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Game at 2-1 was the key. If she didn't serve 2 DF's she would have a big change.
Beause after rain she played 2 great games, and then the next was great off ground but poor serving. From 2-2 until 36 05 everything was poor.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #499
country flag volume3d

volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold

Miki playing doubles right now..match is streamed

Of course, Miki missed smash on set point...now is 5-5

Tipping2010: Wimbledon&US Open winner, Prague F, Cincinnati& Tashkent SF

Tipping2011: Sydney&Stuttgart F
volume3d is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #500
country flag volume3d

volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold volume3d is a splendid one to behold

Miki playing great

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #501
country flag vladekCRO

vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold vladekCRO is a splendid one to behold

won
vladekCRO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #502
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

Great win in doubles!
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #503
country flag volume3d

Amazing lob in last game and served ace on match point

Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #504
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, She had 2-1 and game point against Venus. That was key that she lost that game. As for the doubles, I watched the last few games, She played well. Alves and her could make a good team. She's got the power and Alves has the good hands at net and the lefty serve.
SERVivor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #505
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Hooray! Sweet win in the dubs. She can use any win she gets and it would be nice to see her supplement her income (and trophy case) even more.

Yes, her game is one of "unrelenting stubborn" strategy. She does tend to modify things a little bit on clay because of the surface demands, but everywhere else ... not really. The main thing I observe is that she tends to play higher percentage tennis when she is confident. And her very glaring chokes are mental -- as are her wild, proud, gritty come-from-behind surprises (today's brief rally at the end being a good example).

I thought I noticed a few remarkable technical improvements in her game in all the matches I have seen her play this year. Namely, that backhand: she is hitting it just a bit closer to her body and moving to her backhand side with more agility than she has done in the past. The result is that she seems to be getting a much more effective crank and a hint of topspin that has been allowing her to belt reliable drives from the baseline even down the middle with sharper angle. She's just improved that shot. Then, her service return is clearly improved. Perhaps we didn't get to see that quite as much today against Venus, but she is exploding off the return better than in years past. The forehand and serve, her trademark weapons, are still at the mercy of her nerves, movement, judgment, etc.

We all saw how relatively diffident she can get when serving it out, or when a chance for a big lead is on the line. It's the only time she takes her foot of the gas and then everything implodes. Of course, some days she just plays like crap. And, no, Plan B does not exist for her. I often wish she would at least freak an opponent out by hitting a decent approach and charging the net when she is going down in flames and has nothing to lose. That would be an aggressive mindset ... But, no. She needs to tighten the screws on her focus, at the very least. Sharapova is even more one-dimensional than Mirjana and she doesn't suffer from ruinous walkabout-episodes.

I still believe she has improved this year -- Mirjana just needs more wins against players she has against-the-ropes (Cepelova & Burdette) to solidify her launch to the next level. She has to beat the players she already has virtually beaten out there.

Let's see what she comes up with in IW and Miami quallies. Meanwhile, these doubles wins are very encouraging! Well done, Mirjana.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 04:22 AM   #506
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

all seeds gone in her half of doubles draw so possible deep run here.
SERVivor is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #507
ajmo!

It is. And I hope they will use the chance they created.
As od her singles game, I do agree bh has improved alot and it's seen in every match. E.g. she had one fabulous bh cc pass she could not have played before and generaly it's just a good shot. Well, she lost her focus after that lame game at 2-1.. And you could see she was not even trowing the ball well when serving, she wasn't focused on returns, serving to much on fh of venus, not seeing many serve of V got to her backhand,.... And it happens. To bad she couldn't hold for 3-1 or in second set for 1-2 (V got a bit lucky there) but generally it was a solid performance. And Mirjana would beat many other girls in the draw yesterday. It's not the same to face Williams serve or backhand as of Muguruza, Beck etc.
And when focused she can play Williams and she can outhit her, always good to know.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #508
country flag markdelaney

markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future markdelaney has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmo! View Post
And when focused she can play Williams and she can outhit her, always good to know.

That is I think why it's so frustrating for her fans (and her). She isn't like the other players of similar ranking (Rodionova, Cabeza-Candela either side of her) without the ability to construct and win points as she does. (Very few players in the top 20 let alone outside the top 100 could have done to Bartoli what she did at Wimbledon). Even though she is 30 it's still like watching a 14 year old with the potential to be the best, a mixture of spectacular devastating winners but more unforced errors, especially on the forehand and an inability to close out sets and matches when presented with them. The 2 losses to Cepelova, the loss last year to Duque Marino in November were matches she had completely under control and lost them all. Since Wimbledon she has only got 232 points and needs to get around 250 more up to the cut off point , to avoid having to qualify for this year's tournament, therefore missing grass court point opportunities. I agree with mikireturns, she should be playing 50ks as she isn't going to get those points in the wta events at this rate.

But on the plus side she is definitely playing better than at this stage last year and she was 3/3 on BP against Venus (clutching at straws here)
markdelaney is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #509
ajmo!

Maybe it would be good to smack everybody in straight sets and win a 25k, for confidence.
But I think she's playing for some big result and you don't get that at challengers. at this point nobody really care if she's gonna make it to #72 in rankings or #84, it's about possibility to win or tournament somewhere or something like that.
But the fact is that she won only around 30 points this year and that is surely not as many as she should have won, considering the tennis she's playing.
It was very unlucky part of the year, with a lot of bad draws(Safarova at the Open, Venus in Brasil) and also some heartbreaking losses, but still to players that are in or just outside of top100. Also in Memphis Q-draw was as strong as it gets for that level. Compare it to bogota, Florianapolis, Acapulco, KL.. It doesn't make any sense.

But you can expect her at 50k Osprey, which will be loaded with many good players unfortunately.
It's not like she's losing to some no names or getting crushed by top players. She's playing good, it will open sooner or later. She has until Wimbledon.

But she's serious about this year, and so is her coach. He was a top20 player and is a good coach, he saw something in Lucic which made him leave Croatia and start to work with Mirjana. They are working hard, she has talent, he has the knowledge. if they stay together long enough they will have some good results, if not many.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #510
country flag volume3d

Her 2nd round doubles match is streamed today