What type of player's personality attract fans? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #16
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What type of player's personality attract fans?

I don't think the initial attraction of most fans to their faves has much to do with actual personality, but rather that they project the personality on to their fave that they would like her to have. Same applies btw to hated players.

The initial attraction/repulsion is usually based on appearance, results, and in the case of more serious fans, style of play. Once a fan decides to follow/hate a player, every word or action is carefully interpreted to fit the desired personality.

The blandest and most innocuous statements by those players are thus interpreted as classy shade or classless bitchiness, kindhearted generosity or insufferable dullness, etc., depending on whether the fan has decided to love or hate the player concerned.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 4th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #17
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute

Personality wide, I like players who are quick to engage the crowd - like Li Na, Kim and Serena or genuinely nice/funny players like Lisicki, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva.

I don't like players who come off as cold, bitchy or uncaring to the plight of others - like Sharapova, Kirilenko, Nicole Pratt.

But generally, I like players who possess games that I like, with the key component being speedy around the court like Jankovic, Errani. If they weren't fast, I would like them if they at least tried to move fast like Yanina Wickmayer.

There are exceptions to every rule of course.
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #18
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

well, we can say for sure it's not the type of player like azarenka...
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #19
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

I love any players that have at least 3 of these traits: funny, witty, friendly, warm, humble.
I hate any players that have at least 3 of these traits: cold, loser, rude, drama queen, diva wannabe.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #20
country flag Big_Banana

Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Banana has a reputation beyond repute

jokes about husbands
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #21
country flag Sloejelly

Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold Sloejelly is a splendid one to behold

Initially I go for players with an exciting game with variety including not being afraid to come to the net (Schiavone, Momo, The Goddess Navratilova) but their off-court personality has to include some degree of sportsmanship and respect for their opponent and the game. Players who won't acknowledge their opponent played better is a pet hate. Players who seem to genuinely enjoy playing (as opposed to just putting $$ in the bank) is a huge plus. Currently, I love Sammie's quiet personality, Bartoli's unconventionality, Schiavone's passion (when she's "on", so not for a while ), Sloane's and Sabine's grins when they hit a great winner. So no real pattern there.
Sloejelly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #22
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

What is important for me (random order):

- fighter attitude
- hard work ethics
- respect for fans and other athletes
- good sportsmanship
- maintaining high PR level

What I disregard completely - "hotness". And I dare to call "immature" everybody for whom it IS a factor.

--

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina

Last edited by Manitou : Feb 4th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Manitou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote