Former President Carter: US 'Dormant' on Inequality - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #1
country flag 1setAll
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of
Former President Carter: US 'Dormant' on Inequality

Ex-President Carter: US 'Dormant' on Inequality
AUSTIN, Texas April 8, 2014 (AP)
By PAUL J. WEBER Associated Press

Associated Press

Former President Jimmy Carter on Tuesday night lamented continuing inequalities between black and white Americans during a 50th anniversary celebration of the Civil Rights Act in Texas that will feature four of the five living U.S. presidents this week.

Carter said "too many people are at ease" with black unemployment rates that exceed the national average and schools in some places that he described as basically still segregated.

Carter, 89, was the first president to speak at the Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library in Austin, which is holding the three-day summit to mark the anniversary of the landmark 1964 law that banned widespread discrimination against racial and ethnic minorities and against women.

"We're pretty much dormant now," Carter said. "We accept self-congratulations about the wonderful 50th anniversary — which is wonderful — but we feel like Lyndon Johnson did it and we don't have to do anything anymore."

The unemployment rate for blacks was 12 percent in February, compared with 5.8 percent for whites.

Carter, who grew up in Georgia, recalled being influenced by black culture and calling for the end of racial discrimination after he was elected governor of that state in 1970. But four decades later, Carter expressed regret at racial and gender inequalities that he says are persistent.

The 39th president touched on wage gaps between women and men and reiterated his support for gay marriage. During a wide-ranging interview to a packed auditorium, Carter also chalked up loosened rules on political campaign contributions as partly the reason for a new era of gridlock in Washington.

"What happens is that the political environment is flooded with money since the Supreme Court made that stupid decision," Carter said, a reference to the high court's 2010 Citizens United ruling.

"A lot of that money that pours into the campaigns is spent on negative commercials. ... So by the time the election's over, you have a polarized Texas or polarized Georgia, red and blue states. Then, when people get to Washington, they don't trust each other," he said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/j...ummit-23232797

Serena J. Williams
1setAll is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #2
country flag 1setAll
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of 1setAll has much to be proud of
Re: Former President Carter: US 'Dormant' on Inequality

Below is a link to the entire presentation that President Carter gave at the summit. It begins at 31:40. I am not savvy enough to know how to embed videos, I will try to learn soon and then I will post the video properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fF14ceTrBw

Serena J. Williams

Last edited by 1setAll : Apr 9th, 2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #3
country flag 1setAll
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It seems that issues of inequality are often discussed on this board, both in General Messages and other sub-forums. These subjects usually polarize posters, some feeling that certain types of inequality are less pervasive than others or some feeling that one type of inequality is more legitimate than another.

When the fact is, in my opinion, that inequality, no matter the type, is wrong and is a hindrance to progress, no matter if it is racial inequality, gender inequality, age inequality or inequality based upon sexual preference.

I find it saddening to read so many posts mocking one type of discrimination, only to later find some of those posters being appalled by a different type of discrimination. When we are tolerant or dismissive of one type of inequality then we become part of the problem.

It was nice to see President Carter recognize the ongoing issues with inequality in such a candid and honest manner. I only wish that more people would adopt his stance that inequality in any regard is wrong.

Serena J. Williams
Old Apr 9th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #4
country flag JLG

JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future JLG has a brilliant future

Buddyholly, plantman and Pov's silence is deafening...I think I hear a tumbleweed or 2 rollin by....
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote