Mona Barthel News & Opinion - Page 19 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #271
country flag Grininel

Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Mona Barthel News & Opinion

You're gonna cut the timeseries and habe a better year.
Grininel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #272
kiriosh.

kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future kiriosh. has a brilliant future

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have good news. In practice I got injured in my shoulder. I had some problems with it for a couple of month now. So it is time for me to rest. I hope I will have a quick recovery and I can start my preperation for the next season as soon as possible.
Will keep you updated...
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #273
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Get well soon, Mona!

I think now we know why she had problems with her serve. She shouldn't have played with an injured shoulder. I hope she'll take herself enough time to let the injury heal.

Mona's sister had to end her career because of a chronic shoulder injury.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #274
country flag matthias
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute matthias has a reputation beyond repute

hope it isn´t serious
matthias is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #275
country flag jalusbrian

jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold jalusbrian is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Get well soon, Mona!

I think now we know why she had problems with her serve. She shouldn't have played with an injured shoulder. I hope she'll take herself enough time to let the injury heal.

Mona's sister had to end her career because of a chronic shoulder injury.
Yes:her serve seemed to miss the lines :this may be why
jalusbrian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #276
country flag HowardH

HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute HowardH has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, a little worrying but she has some time before the Aussie tournaments to recover. Playing with injuries seems to be a common theme among the German girls at the moment.
HowardH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #277
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
Hmm, a little worrying but she has some time before the Aussie tournaments to recover. Playing with injuries seems to be a common theme among the German girls at the moment.
Yes, Petkovic played with a meniscus tear in 2011. This year Kerber started playing tennis again way too early after her back injury and we all know the story of Görges' wrist injury. Lisicki on the other hand seems to be the exception of the rule.

Last year Mona received an ankle injury in her match against Jankovic and afterwards she didn't take her time to let it heal.

Unfortunately it seems that she has made the same mistake again. Playing tennis with a shoulder injury is one of the most unreasonable things i can imagine.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #278
country flag sortof

sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice sortof is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
Yes, Petkovic played with a meniscus tear in 2011. This year Kerber started playing tennis again way too early after her back injury and we all know the story of Görges' wrist injury. Last year Mona received an ankle injury in her match against Jankovic and afterwards she didn't take her time to let it heal. Unfortunately it seems that she has made the same mistake again. Playing tennis with a shoulder injury is one of the most unreasonable things i can imagine.
Very odd indeed - particularly in case of Goerges and Barthel. Why would they think that they can compete in professional tennis with a sore wrist or shoulder? What´s the point in going from tournament to tournament with bad and frustrating results?
sortof is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #279
country flag Tecumseh

An improved google translation of an interview with Mona which was conducted by the "Holsteinischer Courier" on November 27th:
Quote:
At Home I Can Relax

In the interview with “Courier” tennis professional Mona Barthel from Neumünster looks back on a season with ups and downs, which ended on world ranking position 34.

It is the calm after a long season during the preparation phase before the great tennis circuit starts again at the end of the year: tennis pro Mona Barthel is at home in her hometown of Neumünster and can finally recover her breath again. However, it is a little quieter than she may be fond of. After a shoulder injury in training, the 23 -year-old has to desist from playing tennis. "But I'm working on my fitness and speed," says Barthel and seems to be disappointed that she currently has to take a break. The Courier utilized the time-out and spoke to Mona Barthel about the past season, about her tennis, her plans and her new targets.

Mrs. Barthel, how do you evaluate the past season?

On the whole positively. Especially the start of the season with the semi-final in Auckland, the final in Hobart and with the win of the Premier tournament in Paris was very, very good. I constantly played for four months at a very good level and had many victories against top-10 and top-20 players . After that, however, it was an up and down, similar to the previous year. One must also say that the ladies all play good tennis in the top 100. The difference often depends on the form on the day.

After the U.S. Open, you lost in the first round in Tokyo, Beijing, Linz and finally in October in Luxembourg. Why?

My game has evolved, although these results have not necessarily shown that. Of course I did not play well now and then. But sometimes it's also a bit about bad luck with the match or with the draw - just like in Tokyo when I had to play against Venus Williams in round one. I think in the last match in Luxembourg I played very well and was unlucky to lose (6:1 , 4:6 , 6:7 against Stefanie Voegele, editor's note). But I think that it is normal for such a long season to be not quite so fit every now and then.

And that's why it was your plan to play fewer tournaments than in the previous year. But in the end, however, you almost played as many.

Other than in 2012 I did not play in the german league . When I am in Europe, I prefer to use the time in order to be at home again and to exercise. But it depends of course on how many matches you have to play. After the first four weeks I also had tournaments where I retired in the first round and therefore had breaks. I have noticed how much more important breaks and workouts at home are, instead of always only being at tournaments. To incorporate these phases is exactly the plan for next year.

But you have also played more doubles than last year. How did that happen?

I always wanted to play doubles. It’s great fun for me. Because I moved so quickly up the singles rankings, doubles went a little too short and my doubles ranking was automatically bad. This year after the win with Sabine Lisicki in Stuttgart I got a much better doubles ranking and therefor was able to play a few more doubles tournaments, most of which have a very strong draw. The double is also a good workout for the singles, especially for the serve and the volleys.

Why did you took part in Fed Cup in April, after you had refused to participate before?

For me it was always a dream to play for my country. I think my refusal in February was discussed often enough. I was just happy to once again get the chance and then was assigned twice. The decisive singles match against Bojana Jovanovski was a very special experience. To be responsible for the whole team playing at home, in Stuttgart - that came with a very different tension. The victory has given me a lot of confidence.

Are you disappointed that you did not stay in the top 30?

With position 34 I can be pretty happy. If you look at the first four months, it should indeed have been better at the end. But I am by no means disappointed, especially since the ranking can change every week.

On December 23th you will go again to Australia. What role does your hometown Neumünster play for you during the breaks in between?

The breaks are important, not only for physical recuperation, but also for the head. At home I can switch off and think of other things. The atmosphere I can enjoy with my family and friends is very important to me in between. After that, I always feel much fresher and more relaxed.

What is your goal for the upcoming season?

I have to defend, of course, many points at the beginning of the year. But I'm pretty relaxed. I am working on living up to my potential more constantly. If I can play throughout the season on the level of performance of the first four months, that would be incredible. But nonetheless I also played good tennis recently and felt very well on the court. I know that if I go on like this, then sooner or later the corresponding results will come. I see it this way: Every week I’ll get a new chance.
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM   #280
country flag Tecumseh

And here is the original version of the interview in german:

Quote:
„Zu Hause kann ich abschalten“

Neumünster Tennis-Profi Mona Barthel blickt im Courier-Interview zurück auf eine Saison mit Höhen und Tiefen, die auf Weltranglisten-Position 34 endete.

Es ist die Ruhe nach einer langen Saison und die Vorbereitungsphase, bevor es Ende des Jahres schon wieder losgeht mit dem großen Tenniszirkus: Tennis-Profi Mona Barthel ist zu Hause in ihrer Heimatstadt Neumünster und kann endlich einmal durchatmen. Allerdings ist es etwas ruhiger, als ihr lieb sein kann. Nach einer Schulterverletzung im Training muss die 23-Jährige im Moment auf Tennis verzichten. „Ich arbeite aber an meiner Fitness und Schnelligkeit“, sagt Barthel und wirkt enttäuscht, dass sie aktuell pausieren muss. Der Courier nutzte die Auszeit und sprach mit Mona Barthel über die zurückliegende Saison, über ihr Tennis, ihre Pläne und ihre neuen Ziele.

Frau Barthel, wie bewerten Sie die abgelaufene Saison?

Im Großen und Ganzen positiv. Vor allem der Start in die Saison war mit dem Halbfinale in Auckland, dem Finale in Hobart und dem Sieg beim Premier-Turnier in Paris sehr, sehr gut. Ich habe vier Monate lang konstant auf sehr gutem Niveau gespielt und viele Siege gegen Top 10- und Top 20-Spielerinnen gehabt. Danach war es allerdings ein Auf und Ab, ähnlich wie im vorigen Jahr. Man muss auch sagen, dass die Damen in den Top 100 alle gutes Tennis spielen. Oft ist es dann auch nur die Tagesform, die den Unterschied ausmacht.

Nach den US Open sind Sie in Tokio, Peking, Linz und zuletzt im Oktober in Luxemburg jeweils in der ersten Runde ausgeschieden. Warum?

Mein Spiel hat sich weiterentwickelt, auch wenn diese Ergebnisse es nicht unbedingt gezeigt haben. Natürlich habe ich das ein oder andere Match nicht gut gespielt. Aber manchmal ist es auch ein bisschen Pech beim Spiel oder bei der Auslosung – so wie in Tokio in Runde eins gegen Venus Williams. Ich finde, das letzte Match in Luxemburg habe ich sehr gut gespielt und unglücklich verloren (6:1, 4:6, 6:7 gegen Stefanie Voegele, Anm. d. Red.). Ich denke aber, dass es über eine so lange Saison normal ist, hin und wieder auch nicht ganz so fit zu sein.

Genau deshalb war es doch aber Ihr Plan, weniger Turniere zu spielen als im vorigen Jahr. Am Ende waren es jedoch fast genauso viele.

Ich habe anders als noch 2012 nicht mehr Bundesliga gespielt. Die Zeit, die ich in Europa bin, wollte ich lieber nutzen, um nochmal zu Hause zu sein und zu trainieren. Aber es kommt natürlich darauf an, wie viele Matches man zu bestreiten hat. Nach den ersten vier Wochen hatte ich ja auch Turniere, bei denen ich in der ersten Runde ausgeschieden bin und daher Pausen hatte. Ich habe gemerkt, wie viel wichtiger Pausen und Trainingseinheiten zu Hause sind, als immer nur auf Turnieren zu sein. Diese Phasen genau einzubauen, ist auch der Plan für das nächste Jahr.

Sie haben aber auch mehr Doppel als im vergangenen Jahr gespielt. Wie kam es dazu?

Ich wollte immer gerne Doppel spielen. Das macht mir sehr großen Spaß. Dadurch, dass ich im Einzel-Ranking so schnell nach oben gerückt bin, ist das aber ein wenig zu kurz gekommen und mein Doppel-Ranking wurde automatisch schlechter. Dieses Jahr habe ich nach dem Sieg mit Sabine Lisicki in Stuttgart ein viel besseres Doppel-Ranking bekommen und konnte dann ein paar mehr Turniere im Doppel spielen, die meistens sehr stark besetzt sind. Das Doppel ist auch immer ein gutes Training für das Einzel, für den Aufschlag und für die Volleys.

Warum haben Sie, nachdem Sie die Teilnahme am Fed-Cup abgelehnt hatten, dann doch im April zugesagt?

Für mich war es immer ein Traum, für mein Land zu spielen. Ich denke, meine Absage im Februar wurde schon oft genug thematisiert. Ich war einfach froh, noch einmal die Chance zu bekommen und dann auch zwei Mal eingesetzt zu werden. Das entscheidende Einzel (beim 3:2 gegen Serbien glich Barthel gegen Bojana Jovanovski zum 2:2 aus, Anm. d. Red.) war ein ganz besonderes Erlebnis. Vor heimischem Publikum in Stuttgart für das ganze Team verantwortlich zu sein – das war noch einmal eine ganz andere Anspannung. Der Sieg hat mir sehr viel Selbstvertrauen gegeben.

Sind Sie enttäuscht, dass Sie sich nicht in den Top 30 gehalten haben?

Mit Position 34 kann ich ziemlich zufrieden sein. Wenn man die ersten vier Monate betrachtet, dann hätte es am Ende zwar besser sein können. Aber ich bin auf keinen Fall enttäuscht, zumal sich das Ranking ja jede Woche verändert.

Bereits am 23. Dezember geht es schon wieder für Sie in Richtung Australien. Welche Rolle spielt Ihr Heimatort Neumünster für Sie bei den Pausen zwischendurch?

Die Pausen sind nicht nur für die körperliche Regeneration wichtig, sondern auch für den Kopf. Zu Hause kann ich abschalten und auf andere Gedanken kommen. Die Atmosphäre mit meiner Familie und meinen Freunden zwischendurch ist mir sehr wichtig. Danach bin ich immer viel frischer und entspannter.

Wie lautet Ihre Zielsetzung für die kommende Saison?

Ich habe Anfang des Jahres natürlich viele Punkte zu verteidigen. Aber ich bin ziemlich entspannt. Ich arbeite daran, meine Leistung konstanter zu bringen. Wenn ich ein Jahr lang mit der Leistung der ersten vier Monate durchspielen kann, dann wäre das unglaublich. Aber ich habe auch zuletzt gutes Tennis gespielt und mich auf dem Platz sehr gut gefühlt. Ich weiß: Wenn ich so weitermache, dann kommen früher oder später auch die entsprechenden Ergebnisse. Ich sehe das so: Ich habe jede Woche eine neue Chance.
Old Dec 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM   #281
country flag Tecumseh

Some good news from Mona's FB page:

Quote:
I am back on court! My shoulder is feeling much better and I started with some light practice. I even did a couple of serves. So I should be in good shape for Australian Open.
Let's hope she has fully recovered from her injury.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #282
country flag HH from HH

HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice

Excerpt from my post #12 in Angelique Kerbers "Season Review and Off-Season Thread"

Mona Barthel:
Communication silence. Presumably the same procedure as every year. At least solid as rock, amidst so many moulted, brand-new ball chasing german cracks.

But as to Barthel I will stop my iromic comments, and that for some special reasons:

Whenever last season she lost a game and (together with her mum coach) was critized heavily here I remembered a posting years ago from her sister. Mona had lost a match, had received lots of bad judgements, and then her sister posted:
"What do you badmouthers really know about her! What did you censors achieve in your own life?" And she mentioned her sisters difficult situation because of the cancer of her mother.
I know how disturbing and worrisome a situation with suffering parents can be. I believe here is the origin of her clinging to the mother. And never would I blame her for this, we have to respect it, it´s her decision. What we see sometimes - she herself is not happy with this situation, struggling with her family position, as she is struggling in her games.
As I mentioned in another posting of mine: "We know so little about the private life of our german players." And I ironically added: "Some of us did not even foresee that Lisicki would have another boyfriend".
Really, we don´t look behind the curtain that protects the players, and that´s okay with me.
HH from HH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #283
country flag Tecumseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH from HH View Post
Excerpt from my post #12 in Angelique Kerbers "Season Review and Off-Season Thread"

Mona Barthel:
Communication silence. Presumably the same procedure as every year. At least solid as rock, amidst so many moulted, brand-new ball chasing german cracks.

But as to Barthel I will stop my iromic comments, and that for some special reasons:

Whenever last season she lost a game and (together with her mum coach) was critized heavily here I remembered a posting years ago from her sister. Mona had lost a match, had received lots of bad judgements, and then her sister posted:
"What do you badmouthers really know about her! What did you censors achieve in your own life?" And she mentioned her sisters difficult situation because of the cancer of her mother.
I know how disturbing and worrisome a situation with suffering parents can be. I believe here is the origin of her clinging to the mother. And never would I blame her for this, we have to respect it, it´s her decision. What we see sometimes - she herself is not happy with this situation, struggling with her family position, as she is struggling in her games.
As I mentioned in another posting of mine: "We know so little about the private life of our german players." And I ironically added: "Some of us did not even foresee that Lisicki would have another boyfriend".
Really, we don´t look behind the curtain that protects the players, and that´s okay with me.
You seem to know a thing or two about family constellations.

If your assumption is correct, we then know the reason why Mona struggles that often, especially mentally. It’s hard to bear responsibility for your parents and to be a successful tennis pro at the same time. That simply doesn’t work. In that case we should lower our expectations and just be happy if she plays good enough to stay on the WTA tour.

Maybe Mona should work out a solution that leaves her mother in the team as a manager/caretaker and additionally contains a cooperation with a professional coach. In this scenario she could still cling to her mother on the one hand and get the professional advice from a fulltime coach on the other hand.

Maybe her financial situation prevents her from deploying such a solution. In that case she should learn to think like an entrepreneur: Only by making some suitable investments you are able to earn some good profits in the long run.
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #284
country flag HH from HH

HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice HH from HH is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh
Maybe Mona should work out a solution that leaves her mother in the team as a manager/caretaker and additionally contains a cooperation with a professional coach. In this scenario she could still cling to her mother on the one hand and get the professional advice from a fulltime coach on the other hand.

Maybe her financial situation prevents her from deploying such a solution. In that case she should learn to think like an entrepreneur: Only by making some suitable investments you are able to earn some good profits in the long run.
A well considered, efficient and practicable suggestion,Tecumseh! Hopefully she has advisors who can discuss and implement such thoughts with her.
Why not Rittner? At least as somebody who gives a first impulse.
HH from HH is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #285
country flag Tecumseh

A translated version of a little article that was published in the current edition of the german “tennis magazine”:
Quote:
Mona Barthel

A Rough Diamond

First and foremost, consistency was the one thing that was missing with regard to Mona Barthel’s 2013 season. Her win at the Paris Indoors in February was the greatest success of her career, but it admittedly wasn’t a breakthrough towards the top of the world. After that things weren’t going that well for Barthel. At the Grand-Slam events she never managed to get past round 2. Nonetheless Barthel is satisfied with her season. “I played very well during training for the whole year. At times, there was a little bit missing during the matches. But I have improved myself with regard to my game”, she says.

For the upcoming season Barthel, who has been trained by her mother, is looking for a new coach to accompany her on tour. A hot candidate is Nic Marschand who had been the coach of Michael Stich and Barbara Rittner in the past. A testing phase with some practice sessions developed positively. “A coach who travels with her to the tournaments would be important for Mona. There is still much room to get more out of her talent. She is a rough diamond”, says national coach Barbara Rittner. Barthel’s goals for 2014 are about improving her fitness and her serve. And she also wants to reach the second week of a major tournament.