Mona in 2015? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 04:35 PM   #1
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future
Mona in 2015?

The first half of Mona’s last season was marked by a shortened off-season preparation due to a shoulder injury which was, in my opinion, the main reason for her very bad form and results during the first four months of 2014. As a result, she was only ranked 86 in April.

With the help of her new coach and also the Schüttler-Waske academy as a whole her game got some stability back and it showed in better results from May onwards. She then qualified for most of the tournaments, had decent results at the slams (but could clearly have done better there), but could barely make it past round 2 on the other hand. A highlight of course was her tournament win in Bastad. She didn’t come up with her potentially brilliant offensive game during that week, but she played with a significantly improved defense and a very good attitude so that we could say that “Grinding Mona” won her third title. After the North American and Asian tour she finished the season with a semi-final in Luxembourg and ended up #42 in the ranking.

Given the fact that she already started her off-season preparation two weeks ago and assuming that she stays injury-free this time we could legitimately hope that Mona will have a good season next year.

So my questions are: How will she perform in 2015? What will she achieve?

My prediction: At any rate, I strongly believe that Mona will keep up with her good old tradition of winning one WTA tournament which will probably be an International or maybe even a Premier. Game-wise she will start the season like she ended this one, with a certain focus on defense. That will change (due to an increased self-confidence) during the course of next year so that we will probably see Mona playing more aggressively during the second half of 2015. But this time she will have a better defense and therefore more options to adapt her game on off-days.

As a result, she will be quite consistent and have decent results during the first half of the season. In the second half we will probably be able to enjoy Peak Mona here and then again, but that comes of course with the prize of more inconsistency.

In conclusion, I expect Mona to be ranked between 20 and 25 by the end of next year.
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #2
country flag yoite

yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice yoite is just really nice
Re: Mona in 2015?

I hope her can past round 2 in all GS next year,and maybe she can get a 4th round in one GS. No chance for her to gat a P5 or PM chanmpion, but a Premier is possible.
Her 1st serve could be better and I have to say 1st serve plays a very important part in her game.Now her backhand is ok but her forehand can be more aggressive.
Just hope no injury next year.If she can be ranked between 25 and 30 at the end of 2015, it will be a wonderful year.To reach TOP25 at the end of a year may be different for her,beacuse she cannot finnish her year very consistently.

My prediction:
4th round in AO,3rd round in FO,2th round in WC,2nd routh in UO.
A Premier chanmpion,maybe sydney?
2 QF and 1SF in international.
yoite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #3
country flag Poldo

Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of

I also expect her to enter the top 30 again next year. She was able to stabilize her game last year, so she does not have to ballbash anymore. She will play more aggressive, that's why she will reach a 4th round at a slam and also good results at the other big tournaments. And I hope she can win another International or Premier. Actually I'm quite optimistic because I like her team and her positiveness, again an amazing start would be great
Poldo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #4
country flag Poldo

Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of Poldo has much to be proud of

She will start her season in Auckland again and I'm optimistic that she could do well there
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #5
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldo View Post
She will start her season in Auckland again and I'm optimistic that she could do well there
She is #8 on the MD list at the moment, so she will probably be seeded.
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #6
country flag Potapovushina
Not impressed.

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute

Potapovushina is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #7
country flag Grininel

Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold

I want to believe her new seasons won't be repetitive.
Just hanging around top 40 with a Baku title will be a disappointment to be honest.
There's not much to say for it's her team's job but I still get the feeling she doesn't know how big she is, regarding both physique and ability.
Her last few matches are good indicators of her form (the ones vs. Bouchard and Strycova in particular) and if they're gonna be her average performances, sorta different approach to the game and strokes in addition to refining a defensive skills won't harm her.
So to speak, switching from standard tuning to irregular tuning - it doesn't mean a total upheaval.
Grininel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #8
country flag Tecumseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grininel View Post
Just hanging around top 40 with a Baku title will be a disappointment to be honest.
There's not much to say for it's her team's job but I still get the feeling she doesn't know how big she is, regarding both physique and ability.
Her last few matches are good indicators of her form (the ones vs. Bouchard and Strycova in particular) and if they're gonna be her average performances, sorta different approach to the game and strokes in addition to refining a defensive skills won't harm her.
So to speak, switching from standard tuning to irregular tuning - it doesn't mean a total upheaval.
You nailed it. I believe that this is her biggest weakness, namely her lack of awareness of her abilities and strengths. She still does not know what kind of player she can be. Beside her pure tennis skills, her physical qualities are extraordinary. The head coach of the Schüttler-Waske academy, Alexander Waske, described Mona’s physical strength as enormous, even though her body doesn't really look like that. Also her foot speed very often gets underrated, as she is really quick for such a tall girl.

But even with all these abilities you don’t get far if you don’t do what champions do in order to get a win, especially in big matches. I remember an interview with Carlos Rodriguez in which he mentioned two qualities which define a champion. He said that champions like S. Williams or Sharapova hate losing more than they love winning and that they are always ready to do the extra thing at crunch time.

It’s quite obvious that Mona lacks both of these qualities, in comparison to the top players. She will probably be able to improve on being more clutch at crunch time but I doubt she will ever be a person who hates losing as much as the champions do.
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 06:47 AM   #9
country flag Grininel

Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold Grininel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
I remember an interview with Carlos Rodriguez in which he mentioned two qualities which define a champion. He said that champions like S. Williams or Sharapova hate losing more than they love winning and that they are always ready to do the extra thing at crunch time.
Let alone well known Henin, I was also surprised when retired Sampras said he was always under high pressure and scared to lose.
Comparing with high profiles would be ridiculous but results ain't likely to follow just by enjoying tennis, contrary to her words.
Unexpectedly, she may already have a pretty competitive mind than one can imagine. To me, it looks like she's becoming more honest to herself and proving it bit by bit.
Grininel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Not impressed.

Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute Potapovushina has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grininel View Post
Me too

If only she had like 50% of Eugenia's on-court self-confidence...
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 07:03 AM   #11
country flag Tecumseh

The Hobart MD list:

Quote:
1. Dellacqua
2. Diyas
3. Giorgi
4. Lepchenko
5. Stephens
6. Koukalova
7. Barthel
8. Riske
9. Nara
10. Flipkens
11. Niculescu
12. Vinci
13. Watson
14. Rybarikova
15. Kanepi
16. McHale
17. Beck
18. Knapp
19. Davis
20. Cepelova
21. Jovanovski
22. Puig
23. Lucic-Baroni (#60)
It's a very even field with players ranked between #29 and #60.
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #12
country flag Poldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraya! View Post
Mona Barthel
Unfortunately I don't have good news to share. In my practice yesterday I twisted my ankle and today I got the diagnose that I have a torn ligament. It is definitely the worst injury I had in my career so far, but I will try everything that I can to have a quick recovery.
And it is the tough times, that will make you stronger

OMG
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Not impressed.

Oh no

Get well asap
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM   #14
country flag Poldo

I guess this means no Australia for her
Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM   #15
country flag mk27

mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute mk27 has a reputation beyond repute

She will be out for nearly 2 months with a torn ligament.
mk27 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote