Sorry But The Abysmal Crowds In Paris Justify Stacy Moving SEWTA To China - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM   #76
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sorry But The Abysmal Crowds In Paris Justify Stacy Moving SEWTA To China

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
What's wrong with Cinci?? Sheesh.
Seriously! It's a great tournament, I love going there. Jankovic had a full stadium when she played Benesova, and that was in 2011. Petrova-Ivanovic had a great crowd, Li played to a big crowd on the main stadium as did Serena. Sharapova got pretty good crowds.

Women's tennis is sadly a sideshow to the men's right now because they have a core of 4 top players who get to nearly the semis and finals of everything, creating a linear story that people can follow. When you've got depth but until recently not clear favorites, it becomes hard to follow for casual fans who might live in those areas and go.

Besides, you underestimate the tennis communities of Ohio. There's a surprisingly large amount of wealth in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus and all three of those cities converge on Mason, which is also extremely wealthy. I can say this because I've lived in Ohio for 17 years.
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #77
country flag King Halep

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesborah View Post
Like Maria Kirilenko
have you been to one of her matches. there will be someone calling out about her looks every few minutes
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM   #78
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
ATP Dubai does just as much as it needs to promote ATP in Middle East. They have most of top 10, and nobody there cares about #11-40. It's almost a non-mandatory "Masters 500" but it leaves one more Masters 1000 in Europe where it's cheaper for non-top10 players to travel to. WTA could do the same with Doha.
The biggest issue with this is logistics though. The only real logical surface to hold this P5 on is hard courts. You can't have it together with Dubai in Europe. Really the only solution is to scrap Doha and Dubai/move them to the end of the season. And have some sort of indoor hard court season in Europe in February instead, with say Paris and Moscow. And even then the end of the season would need a major re-jig. I imagine Doha and Dubai are pumping in too much money for the WTA to consider this at the moment though.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #79
country flag DefyingGravity

DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute DefyingGravity has a reputation beyond repute

Also...have any of you watched the French Open? The French show up in droves for weekends, but during the week they don't necessarily come in large numbers unless a popular French player is playing. Marion does not qualify in that category yet. She had unusual amounts of support for the 2011 French Open, but she isn't as popular as a Mauresmo or a Pierce, which is why the tennis interest has waned.

So it's not surprising that on workdays in a large city with no big star (no Maria, Serena, Vika, Pierce, Mauresmo, etc.), there was not a large French crowd.

Chinese events are the same way during the week. If it's not Li or Zheng, they aren't there.
The Upstarts: Muguruza, Garcia
The Legends: Seles (9), Clijsters (4), Davenport (3), Testud
DefyingGravity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM   #80
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
Also...have any of you watched the French Open? The French show up in droves for weekends, but during the week they don't necessarily come in large numbers unless a popular French player is playing. Marion does not qualify in that category yet. She had unusual amounts of support for the 2011 French Open, but she isn't as popular as a Mauresmo or a Pierce, which is why the tennis interest has waned.

So it's not surprising that on workdays in a large city with no big star (no Maria, Serena, Vika, Pierce, Mauresmo, etc.), there was not a large French crowd.

Chinese events are the same way during the week. If it's not Li or Zheng, they aren't there.
And wednesdays as it's kids days, and often on fridays end of the afternoon
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #81
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
have you been to one of her matches. there will be someone calling out about her looks every few minutes
Nah it was either Kirilenko/Schiavone under the rain or waiting to get a free ticket for Sharapova/Henin 3R so easy choice

Same can be said about Pova (but she has actually tennis and achievements on her side), a disgusting dude next to me was drooling over Pova's ass, he was zooming on her ass via his mobile and taking 554565 pictures, and showed them to his equally gross friends not once they actually talked tennis
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:36 PM   #82
country flag NA-GOAT

NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post

you are right but I just want to point this out so people don't complain next time they see empty stands on weekdays in Tokyo, Wuhan or Beijing
Tennis Tipping GOATS - HAOCHEN-GOAT SAISAI-GOAT
Tennis Tipping Golden Flower GOATS - GoofyDuck Imperfect Angel M.P silverwhite
Tennis Tipping Non-Chinese Faves - Adrian. AYUMI-GOAT coolfish1103 Frederik Igorche kfh_9118 Michael! MikBs peanuts Sabinator valac222
NA-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:37 PM   #83
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAISAI-GOAT View Post
you are right but I just want to point this out so people don't complain next time they see empty stands on weekdays in Tokyo, Wuhan or Beijing
well, there are still more people in France in early rounds than in Beijing or Wuhan will be...as there are literally none or up to 20

Adrian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM   #84
country flag NA-GOAT

NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute NA-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian. View Post
well, there are still more people in France in early rounds than in Beijing or Wuhan will be...as there are literally none or up to 20
Adrian.

there were much more people there, it was just the bigger stadium in Beijing makes it seem empty
Tennis Tipping GOATS - HAOCHEN-GOAT SAISAI-GOAT
Tennis Tipping Golden Flower GOATS - GoofyDuck Imperfect Angel M.P silverwhite
Tennis Tipping Non-Chinese Faves - Adrian. AYUMI-GOAT coolfish1103 Frederik Igorche kfh_9118 Michael! MikBs peanuts Sabinator valac222
NA-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:45 PM   #85
country flag Jimmie48
In The Lap Of The Gods

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAISAI-GOAT View Post

there were much more people there, it was just the bigger stadium in Beijing makes it seem empty
Nonsense. It's the empty stadium that makes it seem empty. Please stop hyping up this awful event, nobody cares.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #86
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Nonsense. It's the empty stadium that makes it seem empty. Please stop hyping up this awful event, nobody cares.
OMG I have to agree for once with you

I remember matches with like 15 people in the stands

or a screen-shot from Ghangzou, where no one, really no one was watching a CC match

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM   #87
country flag overrule

overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold overrule is a splendid one to behold

Cincinnati is actually one of the better attended events on the tour. An indoor tournament in January the week after the AO will not be well attended anywhere.
overrule is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:01 PM   #88
country flag adam_ads_n
Team WTAworld

adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute adam_ads_n has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats Baku 2012 anyway
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:02 PM   #89
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_ads_n View Post
Nothing beats Baku 2012 anyway
that's true

Old Feb 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM   #90
country flag GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute

Evening match with Bartoli and Mladenovic and it's far from full...

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Duan Ying-Ying - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote