Was officiating always this corrupt before hawkeye? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute
Was officiating always this corrupt before hawkeye?

I honestly can´t remember, but you watch events like Paris or Copenhagen that don´t have hawkeye technology and the hometown bias is off the charts. Wickmayer got screwed over by a linesman calling a ball out at her breakpoint for 5-5 atht was clearly in and would have put Wickmayer rin great position. And it wasn´t the first time in the match it happened.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
country flag pla

pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Was officiating always this corrupt before hawkeye?

Calling it corrupt is a bit exaggerating. Home bias always existed, and will exist until the technology evolves to a level it will no longer need a linesman. Humans are biased, even at a subconscious level. I am sure the linesmen don't even realise they are doing it. It is as it is- our senses are not perfect, and the analysis of the data they "send" to our brain- even less.
pla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid gold badge umpire should have overrule. Copenhagen officials used to screw Wozniacki too
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:47 PM   #4
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago I was sat two rows back, right behind the baseline judge for Petra Kvitova's 1st round match at Wimbledon. As Petra smacked yet another return for a winner that whizzed by in front of me, I remember looking at the linesman and thinking "I wouldn't fancy his job".

I think they do pretty well all things considered.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:48 PM   #5
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

The really contentious call looked more out than in to me, and you don't expect an umpire to overrule on that case anyway. They're not in a good position to see it, and Kjendlie was totally honest to Yanina about that.

Corrupt is too strong a word. Unless you've done it, and I have, you have *no* idea how hard it really is.
Jane Lane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:51 PM   #6
country flag LUVMIRZA

LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of the most difficult jobs. You have to be on full concentration to call it correctly. Mistakes tend to happen often

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
The really contentious call looked more out than in to me, and you don't expect an umpire to overrule on that case anyway. They're not in a good position to see it, and Kjendlie was totally honest to Yanina about that.

Corrupt is too strong a word. Unless you've done it, and I have, you have *no* idea how hard it really is.
This. Most officials are doing the best possible, and study after study has shown they are far better than players or fans at making the correct call. Which is not to say we are infallible.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't corruption. It's jut bad line calling. We can add Stanford to the list. I can't forget Sorana's match there. She was so right so often on her challenges. It was laughable. Sometimes it is homerism but other times just bad linecalling.

What is amazing is how right they usually are. They have to make decisions in a split second.

They should be required to have hawkeye on the court where the final will be played at all the tournaments.

I do think that Yanina's ball was in in the first set. The ball was not that far away from the umpire, but perhaps the angle was bad, or maybe she thought it was in as well.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Absolutely When umpire didn't want you to win, they would make a string of ridiculous lines calls to determine the outcome of a match, overruling the correct one's ...HAWKEYE now is like a street corner video camera set up to catch thugs, so officials are careful not to make stupid line calls
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
country flag Jane Lane

Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute Jane Lane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
This. Most officials are doing the best possible, and study after study has shown they are far better than players or fans at making the correct call. Which is not to say we are infallible.
Exactly. You have less than a few seconds to react and you're staring at the line, not the ball to begin with. Fans and players are obviously looking at the ball.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:05 PM   #11
country flag Boxuan

Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of Boxuan has much to be proud of

Since I just watched this match thru low-quality online streams, I won't go that far to call it "corrupted", questionable for sure.

·┏┻━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓┏━━━┓
┏┛李娜┣┫·科娃┣┫·郑洁┣┫·莫娜┣┫·彭帅┣┫·斯隆┃
┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛┗◎━◎┛
Boxuan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:09 PM   #12
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post
It isn't corruption. It's jut bad line calling. We can add Stanford to the list. I can't forget Sorana's match there. She was so right so often on her challenges. It was laughable. Sometimes it is homerism but other times just bad linecalling.

What is amazing is how right they usually are. They have to make decisions in a split second.

They should be required to have hawkeye on the court where the final will be played at all the tournaments.

I do think that Yanina's ball was in in the first set. The ball was not that far away from the umpire, but perhaps the angle was bad, or maybe she thought it was in as well.
This. I think it is somewhat preposterous that there is no universal rule for WTA tournaments regarding the use of HawkEye. I know that the system's use has vastly increased, but to have it in some places and not in others just doesn't make any sense to me. I have similar feelings about this as I do about using different balls every week. At least the WTA could make a rule that no new tournament will be added to the calendar without agreeing to make HawkEye available.
Tennis Tipping: CH: 21 Current: 21 Champion: 2013 ITF Montpellier, 2013 ITF Astana, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Madrid
CYP: CH: 22 Current: 23 Champion: 2013 Birmingham
Tennis Tipping Doubles: CH: 104 Current: 119 Champion: 2013 ITF Croissy Beaubourg, 2013 ITF Olomouc, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Braunschweig, 2014 ITF Launceston
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:10 PM   #13
country flag Jane Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper96 View Post
This. I think it is somewhat preposterous that there is no universal rule for WTA tournaments regarding the use of HawkEye. I know that the system's use has vastly increased, but to have it in some places and not in others just doesn't make any sense to me. I have similar feelings about this as I do about using different balls every week. At least the WTA could make a rule that no new tournament will be added to the calendar without agreeing to make HawkEye available and if I had it my way, it would include clay tournaments too.
You can't put Hawkeye on a clay court with the way the technology is currently formatted.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute

With more and more Hawkeye, lots of umpires will get worse at overruling properly so there will be problems on courts without it.

Some umpires have been and will always be terrible anyway though. I think they got the job with connections, the system itself is probably corrupt.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM   #15
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Lane View Post
You can't put Hawkeye on a clay court with the way the technology is currently formatted.
Oh, really? Didn't know that. I'll take that part out.
Tennis Tipping: CH: 21 Current: 21 Champion: 2013 ITF Montpellier, 2013 ITF Astana, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Madrid
CYP: CH: 22 Current: 23 Champion: 2013 Birmingham
Tennis Tipping Doubles: CH: 104 Current: 119 Champion: 2013 ITF Croissy Beaubourg, 2013 ITF Olomouc, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Braunschweig, 2014 ITF Launceston
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote