"Brainless ball bashers" Really? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #16
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "Brainless ball bashers" Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
If you don't think players like Cirstea and Gajdosova are brainless ball bashers, then I don't know what to tell you.
You could tell me what about their play leads you to put a "brainless" label on it.
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #17
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
I think the term applies to players who have no Plan B when aggressive hitting isn't working.
Perhaps. But even there it doesn't quite fit. Of course there are going to points that are played with poor shot selection but a "brainless" player would have no plan or selectivity in shots.

Plus having a Plan B also means that one has another variety of game to bring to the table.

Yeah I get that no one really thinks the players are brainless but I still see it just as one of a number of terms made up and used by people to base on styles they don't like. IM0 - calling a top-50 player a "brainless ball basher" is . . . . brainless.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #18
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of

Yes, really. Of course, a BBB is a player who bashes balls brainlessly, not a brainless player who bashes balls. But English is a brainless language, unable to distinguish between both meanings in the compound noun form.
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #19
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyak View Post
Sharapova is "brainless ball bashers"... sometimes
She's brainless when she has a wide-open court but hits directly back to her opponents. Ballbashing has nothing to do with it

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM   #20
country flag Cooper96

Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of Cooper96 has much to be proud of

I think this thread is a little much. Whenever I see this term used, I consider it a joke/exaggeration. We do not actually mean that the player's head is hollow, simply that if they were more patient and thought more about shot selection, they may have better results or a prettier game. The term is synonymous with this definition and it is not really derogatory to me, but I could be wrong as to what everyone else thinks.
Tennis Tipping: CH: 21 Current: 21 Champion: 2013 ITF Montpellier, 2013 ITF Astana, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Madrid
CYP: CH: 22 Current: 23 Champion: 2013 Birmingham
Tennis Tipping Doubles: CH: 104 Current: 119 Champion: 2013 ITF Croissy Beaubourg, 2013 ITF Olomouc, 2013 ITF Donetsk, 2013 ITF Braunschweig, 2014 ITF Launceston
Cooper96 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:41 AM   #21
country flag Lin Lin

Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute

This is the best thread in GM EVER
豆豆
雪雪
Lin Lin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 01:46 AM   #22
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
I think the term applies to players who have no Plan B when aggressive hitting isn't working.
Like Sharapova against Li Na, for instance.
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 01:49 AM   #23
country flag Vefci Y
You are not likeable,but I like you

Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of Vefci Y has much to be proud of

Donna Vekic,I saw her play Wozniacki
Vefci Y is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 02:08 AM   #24
country flag SVK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute

Brainless ball basher is more of a phrase, it doesn´t mean the players are completely brainless of course. It is used to describe a players which are very inconsistent while playing highly agressive tennis usually not capable of playing some plan B when things go wrong. You can actually find such kind of players even in higher places of the rankings. Also, there is a differene between agressive player and brainless ballbasher despite the fact that posters find these slang terms using on forums somehow attractive and fitting to describe players with certain features despite not having actually a clue of the right meaning of the words. I noticed some posters find a term ballbasher somehow "offensive" and rather use term agressive player while some others call (brainless) ballbashers all players with attacking style. I must admit that I am also "addicted" to use the term ballbasher more. As a person with English as a second language I just simply "caught" the phrase.
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:12 AM   #25
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, what is Sharapova expected to do if her bashing isn't working? Defend?
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:23 AM   #26
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova is not a brainless ballbasher. There are maybe 4-5 players in the world that have the ability to beat her on a good day, because they can handle her power and wrestle away the control of the rallies from her. That´s not brainless, one-dimensional maybe, but still maximizing her skillset. Then there are players like Safarova or Görges, who are ranked in the top 20 and regularly lose to much lower ranked players, because they are too lazy and brainless to play five balls in a row that are not rejected by the laws of physics. You might try to run through a wall once, you might even try it a second time, but you´d hope that by the fifth time you are rejected by the wall and probably concussed, you realize it´s probably not going to happen.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:40 AM   #27
country flag histery

histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future histery has a brilliant future

Jovanovski is the definition of BBB, i have never seen her hit a volley, drop shot or lob
histery is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 07:44 AM   #28
country flag SilverSlam
I-G-G-Y

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
Like Sharapova against Li Na, for instance.
I say we look at their H2H in which of their last three meetings, maria has managed to get a bagel in the second set twice, with Na hitting I think upto 30 errors in one of those sets too.

That is brainless ball bashing at it's finest no?
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:58 AM   #29
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

For me, this term applies more to one dimensional players who usually rely their game on heavy hitting, but totally lack a plan B when things start to go wrong for them (no net game, slices, dropshots or variations of any kind), when this happens, they can go bersek and out of frustration may turn into a real mess, and then, yes, they can look pretty brainless.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM   #30
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. Brainless ballbashing does exist even in professional tennis.
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote