"Brainless ball bashers" Really? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
"Brainless ball bashers" Really?

I still see this term being bandied about on here. Like "pusher" I guess it's because people like to come up with derogatory terms for styles of play they don't like. But "brainless" is pretty harsh. As if having a game based on powerful ground-strokes means one doesn't think about things.

I make the case that there are no "ball bashers" in the top 30 (IMO the closest is Cibulkova and even there the term is unwarranted) and that there are no "brainless" players in the top 50. Maybe even the top 100.
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
Re: "Brainless ball bashers" Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I still see this term being bandied about on here. Like "pusher" I guess it's because people like to come up with derogatory terms for styles of play they don't like. But "brainless" is pretty harsh. As if having a game based on powerful ground-strokes means one doesn't think about things.

I make the case that there are no "ball bashers" in the top 30 (IMO the closest is Cibulkova and even there the term is unwarranted) and that there are no "brainless" players in the top 50. Maybe even the top 100.
According to madmax, this rabid fan of Pova -- Venus Williams is a brainless ballbasher and I'm still waiting to hear what he has to say about the semi last week
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
country flag Golan
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute Golan has a reputation beyond repute

Sharapova is "brainless ball bashers"... sometimes
Golan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #4
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Agree. Although I would add there are a few who do have a tendency to, on occasion, play without a great deal of thought. But of course playing without a great deal of thought is a something that occurs in players of all styles and none of the top 50, or indeed top 100, play without a great deal of thought, or "brainlessly" as posters here like to say, all the time. If they did, they wouldn't be in the top 100. There is a difference between playing "brainlessly" and being "brainless".
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #5
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

If you don't think players like Cirstea and Gajdosova are brainless ball bashers, then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by JarkaFish : Jan 30th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Fair enough. It only looks brainless. As for examples, Goerges seems to be even worse than Cibulkova, the latter can be very dangerous to top players sometimes.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #7
country flag MercuriePL

MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL MercuriePL

In which moment Sharapova uses brain if she can't push the easy ball near the net to win rally, she makes berserker 10m out instead...
MercuriePL is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Go and watch Lisicki against Woz 1st round of the Oz open and then come back and admit you were wrong and that brainless bashing is very much a thing on the WTA tour.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #9
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

I think the term applies to players who have no Plan B when aggressive hitting isn't working.

I'm afraid I have some past and current faves who fall into this category. It's also, like everything else, a relative term.

There's no question that players like Hingis, Aga, Myskina, Momo and yes, Vika and Serena, play a somewhat craftier version of the game than Martha or Li or Sabs or yes, even my beloved and holy Lena did. But certainly any of those players have to be tennis-smart to play at the highest level. And being tennis smart isn't the same as being book smart, though certainly they are not mutually exclusive.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #10
country flag MalJackson

MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of MalJackson has much to be proud of

Lucie Hradecka
Lucie Safarova
Julia Goerges

these 3 are capable of extreme low iq no plan B ball bashing tennis

thats why players like niculescu dismantle their games
MalJackson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #11
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

Kvitova
King Halep is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #12
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Go and watch Lisicki against Woz 1st round of the Oz open and then come back and admit you were wrong and that brainless bashing is very much a thing on the WTA tour.
Exactly.

I don't know why he's so adamant in denying it.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the OP about the term 'brainless ball basher'. Even more so the term 'pusher,and especially on the reason why.

That said,there are players ranked quite highly who's only offensive choice is to hit the ball as hard as they can. It's not 'brainless', because they generally pick a direction, but 'right','left', 'center' is as deep as the offensive thought process goes.

And if you succeed like Sharapova, what's wrong with that?
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #14
country flag GSMPrzysiezny

GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of GSMPrzysiezny has much to be proud of

Goerges is a braless ballbasher.
GSMPrzysiezny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #15
country flag Hartson

Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute Hartson has a reputation beyond repute

Lisicki and Gaidosova by far ))
Hartson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote