Slams that have been won by a player playing awful the whole tournamnet? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #31
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slams that have been won by a player playing awful the whole tournamnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
Kim didn't play horrible for 7 rounds in Australia 2011 or USO 2010.
True

There is a lot of slander and revisionism going on here.

I know of no recent major (not counting 2013) were a player played 7 awful matches and won a slam. That is fiction.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #32
country flag Joe.

Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute Joe. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Azarenka's case is different , because only luck(injuries) and cake draw gave her this trothy.
I know you're a Maria fan like me, and for that I like you, but you're such a troll

Why do you hate Vika so much?
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #33
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe. View Post
I know you're a Maria fan like me, and for that I like you, but you're such a troll

Why do you hate Vika so much?
Obsession.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #34
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Might be that much more a punchy finish to the post if she hadn't beaten Princess in straights in the semi, and the defending champion in the QF in decent quality matches. And Serena did not "limp" past Radwanska in the final, the final set was comprehensive and included a one minute game on serve. Serena set new standards for serving that Wimbledon that she has been chasing and seeking to maintain ever since. What a laughable joke you are implying she was rubbish the whole tournament.

At the end of the day you don't "deserve" slams, you win them.
All this revisionist history. You can't seriously be claiming Serena wasn't a mess in that Wimbledon final; go check the results thread at the time, even her stans were laughing at how bad she played. The SF was also a mess from both sides - I don't think Princessrenka made more UEs in any match last year, RG aside. Her QF against Kvitova was probably Serena's best match of the tournament, though even there, she was outplayed for much of the 2nd set and was generally playing very conservatively for her usual standards, precisely because her offensive game off the ground was misfiring so often that tournament.

And I didn't say Serena didn't deserve this title I said, entertaining the premise of the thread, that, if any titles were undeserved, Serena's Wimbledon 2012 title would be near the top of the list, because she played some of the least impressive tennis of any Slam winners in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I'm guessing you didn't actually watch any of her matches other than the final. That's okay, most people didn't.

With the exception of a couple of minor, short-lived lapses, Sam played at a high level for the whole two weeks. That's why, going into the final, the tiny group of commentators who had been paying attention gave her a decent chance of pulling off the upset that she did.

I'd go as far as to say the only really poor match Sam has played at the USO in the last 3 years was the '10 QF against Kim that you already mentioned. It was an abominable match from both of them.
Actually I watched most of the semifinal, and the Kirilenko match from the 2nd-set tiebreak onwards iirc. I didn't say she was playing awfully in those matches - obviously I agree that no-one gets deep in a Slam while playing awfully - but I would say she was playing low-top 10-standard tennis at best in those matches, and generally not the standard that you'd expect of someone who would go on to win the title in the end Of course, that's all academic, because she ended up turning in a true Slam-winning performance in the final; I only mentioned it in this thread because someone mentioned Majoli (who also played relatively unimpressively until the final, before shocking everyone by playing great in the final itself) which triggered to give Stosur an "honourable mention"
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #35
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Saint Sin played 'awful' at the AO 2011. She was just very average by her standards. The same for Serena at Wimbledon 2010.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #36
country flag Alarmed

Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future Alarmed has a brilliant future

Kim at the 2011 AO jumps to mind first. I couldn't believe how average she was in most of her matches. Hitting more UEs than winners in some matches

Oldest #1 in WTA history
Alarmed is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #37
MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future MakarovaFan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I'm guessing you didn't actually watch any of her matches other than the final. That's okay, most people didn't.

With the exception of a couple of minor, short-lived lapses, Sam played at a high level for the whole two weeks. That's why, going into the final, the tiny group of commentators who had been paying attention gave her a decent chance of pulling off the upset that she did.

I'd go as far as to say the only really poor match Sam has played at the USO in the last 3 years was the '10 QF against Kim that you already mentioned. It was an abominable match from both of them.
I think the reason commentators were giving Sam a chance was because their H2H was quite even at the time(with Sam having won something like 2 of the last 3 or 4 matches) and Sam had beaten her in a GS before....

Sidenote, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 2010 Wimbledon where Serena's ground game was gone and she became Serve Rena after Rd 3 ( and IIFC only played 2 top 20 players in the entire event,with the highest being at #10 :/)
New Breed: Maria,Anastasia Myskina,Nicole,Ana,Tatiana Golovin,Jelena J,Iveta Benesova,Olga Poutchkova,Camille Pin,Maria Kirilenko,Alonya Bondarenko,Meilen Tu,Sania Mirza,Rezai,Ashley H,Tataina Poutchek,Sandra Kloesel,Klara Z,Mirjana Lucic,Dominka Cibulkova,Emauelle Gagliardi,Jelena Kostanic,Iroda,Martina Sucha,Raluca Olaru,Kveta,Marta D,Bethanie,Bychkova

Lilia Osterloh,Viktoriya Kutuzova,Yurika Sema,Anastasia Pivavrova(?),Stanislava Hrozenska,Marie-Eve,Zsofia,Angelika Roesch,Sunitha Rao,Anne Keothavang,Olivia Sanchez,Angela Haynes,Alex S,Jelena Dokic,Rosana De Los Rios,Kristina Brandi,Eva Fislova,Lindsay Lee

Elena Makarova,Anna K, Capriati,Lindsay,Henrieta Nagyova,Anca Barna,Petra Mandula,Jana Kandarr,
MakarovaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #38
country flag jj74

jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute jj74 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaMasha View Post
Serena in awful form is still too good, like at Wimbledon 2012 . Her groundgame and ROS were awful, but her serve was incredible. She won it and it was well deserved.

Azarenka's case is different , because only luck(injuries) and cake draw gave her this trothy.
Serena in awful form won because the rest are not that good. Serena was in awful form in australian open 2007, she was running out of steam in semifinals against Vaidisova (a third set there would be lethal for her), but in the final she play against someone like Maria who has no b plan, who is unable to react when her rival hit harder and better than her.

Serena play great in the final, but the strategy was pretty clear, making longer points, more sooner than later Serena level would drop. Of course Maria is not smart enough to think to do other thing than hit harder (and that day making UE after UE), and Serena score an easy win

Serena is very good, but her rivals (with the exception of Henin and Venus in the beginning of the 00's) were simply to mentally weak and too one trick pony to challenge her
jj74 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #39
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Clijsters, Queen Vulture of Weak Eras

No one does it like her.
Vuvu is following in her footsteps though . Her only noteworthy wins in both Slam wins were against the 'Queen Vulture of weak eras' playing on one foot and against a hungry Sharpie, who at the time was in the mood to produce as many 1st-time Slam champions as possible. Neatly avoided Serena by the biggest stroke of luck in sporting history.

- Li Na

(after dramatic 3-set AO 2013 final, where she took 2 nasty spills and twisted her ankle).
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #40
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Clijsters was not playing on one leg in that match. Rewatch it if you must, but a player playing 'on one leg' doesn't do her trademark splits multiple times throughout that match. Such a ridiculous excuse.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #41
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

It's small wonder that women's tennis isn't taken seriously if even fans of the women's game are willing to nominate numerous grand slam winners who won despite playing "awful" the entire tournament.

The correct answer to the question is, of course, that it has never happened.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #42
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Um, last year at Wimbledon she played poorly, and still barely limped through the final against a player with the flu That was certainly the least impressive tennis anyone played to win a Slam last year. Princessrenka's title is no less deserved than that one.

Also, at the continual myth that Kim played badly to win all of hers. That only works for AO '11 (and even then only up to a point); she played fantastically to at the US Opens in 2009 and 2010, with the sole exception of the '10 QF against Stosur.

Overall, least impressive tennis to win a Slam in recent years is between Serena at last year's Wimbledon, Kim at the AO'11, or Schiavone's RG win (Princessrenka's latest is slightly above those 3). Honourable mention to Stosur at the USO 11: she was very mediocre in her first 6 matches there, even for her standards, but then played brilliantly in the final.
I disagree. I saw most of Stosur's matches from that tournament and I was highly impressed, and that's why I really wasn't all that surprised when she took out Serena. Her mental toughness against Petrova and especially against Kirilenko was something she hadn't shown before and hasn't since. She went missing for a chunk of the semi against Kerber but even that was a quality match.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:07 AM   #43
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Actually I watched most of the semifinal, and the Kirilenko match from the 2nd-set tiebreak onwards iirc. I didn't say she was playing awfully in those matches - obviously I agree that no-one gets deep in a Slam while playing awfully - but I would say she was playing low-top 10-standard tennis at best in those matches, and generally not the standard that you'd expect of someone who would go on to win the title in the end Of course, that's all academic, because she ended up turning in a true Slam-winning performance in the final; I only mentioned it in this thread because someone mentioned Majoli (who also played relatively unimpressively until the final, before shocking everyone by playing great in the final itself) which triggered to give Stosur an "honourable mention"
Leaving aside the question of whether this is a fair assessment of Sam's performances in those matches(Griffin's post is closer to the mark IMO), it takes a certain amount of cheek to award her an honourable mention for an unimpressive run to the final based on one-and-a-bit matches in which her level dropped to "low top-10 standard".
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:13 AM   #44
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Clijsters made a career out of this in her second go around. Could not believe how poorly her opponents played.
Serena's "poor" slam runs seemed different. It was her drive, her hunger that pulled her through. Clijsters opponents :x: had 0 quality and self destructed.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:50 AM   #45
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoparound View Post
Clijsters made a career out of this in her second go around. Could not believe how poorly her opponents played.
Serena's "poor" slam runs seemed different. It was her drive, her hunger that pulled her through. Clijsters opponents :x: had 0 quality and self destructed.
Perhaps it's Serena's reputation that makes them seem different.
The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace. A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2259, the name of the place is Babylon 5. (John Sheridan: Babylon 5: Season 2: The Coming of Shadows)
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote