2014 YEC host cities narrowed to 3 candidates. Where do you want it to be held? - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: 2014 YEC host cities narrowed to 3 candidates. Where do you want it to be held?

Monterrey, Mexico 76 27.14%
Singapore 178 63.57%
Tianjin, China 26 9.29%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #76
country flag donellcarey

donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 YEC host cities narrowed to 3 candidates. Where do you want it to be held?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Under View Post
Everyone was like WTF when they moved it to Istanbul and that turned out to be a great idea so who knows. Each of the cities has potential. To be fair China really does have a growing fan base and it deserves more tournaments there. Especially considering how many America and even Australia have.
K! Every sentence of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
I have nothing against Tianjin at all. I've been there and it is probably my favorite city in China The city is gorgeous and feels so different from the rest of Chinese cities I was impressed during my visit there. I'd call it the Europe of China but China has way too many tournaments already and Singapore would be a better choice I think.
I dunno about that...you really should travel more in China, but okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post

Stacey would put the entire tour in China if she could!
Let's send our prayers about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goOudinUSA View Post
Would enjoy it if Mexico hosted it, but may not have enough ticket sales, support, etc...

Singapore would be a nice choice.

China already has many tournaments...

@ this coming from an American citizen. Okay
donellcarey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #77
country flag Shaddad

Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all
Re: 2014 YEC host cities narrowed to 3 candidates. Where do you want it to be held?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwires
Unreal. I'm living in London right now and (apart from family and friend) the food is one of the two things that I miss about Singapore (the other being playing tennis under the sun and in the humidity ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Because food is seriously depends on taste
Because British food is horrible and overpriced..
Singles:2012 ITF Wellington,ITF Chiasso
Doubles:2012 ITF Chiasso,ITF Prague,ITF Brescia,RU Wimbledon (w/chenhw)
Shaddad is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #78
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

Just googled Tianjin, fantastic city . Monterrey is blah .
Mr.Sharapova is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #79
country flag Shaddad

Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all Shaddad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.M View Post
Just googled Tianjin, fantastic city . Monterrey is blah .
Tianjin is a city where modernity meets tradition
Singles:2012 ITF Wellington,ITF Chiasso
Doubles:2012 ITF Chiasso,ITF Prague,ITF Brescia,RU Wimbledon (w/chenhw)
Shaddad is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #80
country flag The Bulldog

The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of The Bulldog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddad View Post
Because British food is horrible and overpriced..
No it isn't.
The Bulldog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #81
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Monterrey
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #82
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute

The city switch from Mexico City to Monterrey probably rules itself out already.

It looks like it will be Tianjin as the YEC while Singapore is just a top city filler.

Expect China Swing!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #83
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of

Considering they move Tokyo P5 to China, I think a PM & P5 is enough for China. I understand WTA needs big events in China if it wants to succeed there. But for a new market, I think one PM/P5/YEC is enough. It's better to have one successful event rather than handful of them in front of empty grandstands. Even PM & P5 is much for China, let alone PM, P5, & YEC.

So, I'd rather give it to Mexico or Singapore. But which of them is better? I'm not too convinced that there would be a huge tennis fanbase in either country but I believe Singapore would at least have more corporate guests. And I don't see any long-term benefits for WTA from having the YEC in Mexico. If there were any Latin American country that should host the YEC, it would be Brazil; a BRIC country where ATP isn't too big yet. Anyway, I'd give it to Singapore, China would be a non-option for me, and Singapore is commercially better than Mexico; that's where you get most sponsor money from.

But I'd love it in Mexico. Of those, Mexico is the country whose tennis would benefit the most from having the WTA YEC there.
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #84
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore.
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #85
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

It's so going to be Tianjin.

Last edited by Break My Rapture : Jan 30th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #86
country flag ToopsTame

ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future ToopsTame has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper96 View Post
I think that's the point
To sell low numbers of tickets like in Doha or Beijing?
ToopsTame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #87
country flag friendsita

friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future

Monterrey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #88
Richie's

Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute Richie's has a reputation beyond repute

SIN, please!
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #89
country flag Exordes

Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future Exordes has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
If there were any Latin American country that should host the YEC, it would be Brazil; a BRIC country where ATP isn't too big yet. Anyway, I'd give it to Singapore, China would be a non-option for me, and Singapore is commercially better than Mexico; that's where you get most sponsor money from. But I'd love it in Mexico. Of those, Mexico is the country whose tennis would benefit the most from having the WTA YEC there.
I´ve been wondering a little bit about the same thing. Why don´t they want to promote tennis in South America? Buenos Aires, Argentina or São Paulo, Brazil could be good candidates for the YEC. Or maybe Latin America would need a tennis version of Shakira do it possible or someone like Gabriella Sabatini was at her best.
Exordes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #90
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exordes View Post
I´ve been wondering a little bit about the same thing. Why don´t they want to promote tennis in South America? Buenos Aires, Argentina or São Paulo, Brazil could be good candidates for the YEC. Or maybe Latin America would need a tennis version of Shakira do it possible or someone like Gabriella Sabatini was at her best.
This shows how much WTA & ATP care about globally promoting the tour, and tennis in general, even though they say that's a reason to give events to Asia. But the main reason for WTA/ATP, as well as e.g. Formula 1, to give events to Asia is that they get most $pon$or mon€y from there. Far East and Middle East are the areas where they pay most for hosting a tournament. Latin America, on the other hand, is mostly unable to pay as much, and thus they get only MMs in both WTA and ATP Tours. And I don't think a successful WTA player would enable big tournaments in Latin America, Argentina has many good ATP players and still they have only an ATP 250.

But, luckily for Latin America, Brazil is one of those rapidly developing BRIC countries, and there seems to be interest in getting top-level tennis to their country. WTA will have already this year an International event in Florianopolis (BRA). And next year there will be a joint ATP 500/WTA International in Rio. Plus, Rio seems like the most likely venue for ATP WTF after London's contract expires; Rio de Janeiro is already a sponsor of ATP WTF. And if WTF were a success in Brazil, I believe they'll get an ATP Masters, just like Shanghai got after WTF.

Of course, that's only ATP. For some reasons, Latin America has many good ATP players but I can't remember any Latin American WTA player. So men's tennis is clearly dominant in Latin America, and they also have more ATP than WTA events. So even if ATP had a Masters in Latin America, I wouldn't be too surprised to see WTA not having a proper Latin American swing. But new WTA events in Florianopolis and Rio seem promising for WTA, I believe that in 2020s there will be at least an ATP Masters and WTA Premier in Latin America, most likely in Brazil.

But considering Brazil's obvious desire for big tennis events, YEC would've been a good chance for WTA to market themselves in Brazil before ATP comes with something big.
August is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote