Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #1
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future
Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

(The other thread was about Sloane and her autograph story.)

Here's a link to the article "preview" for those who haven't read it.

She didn't hold back

http://tennis.si.com/2013/05/04/sloa...na-williams-2/

Quote:
In an interview in the May 13 issue of ESPN The Magazine, Sloane Stephens reveals that her relationship with Serena Williams has completely deteriorated since Stephens beat Williams at the Australian Open in January.

Here’s a snippet from Marin Cogan’s story:

“She’s not said one word to me, not spoken to me, not said hi, not looked my way, not been in the same room with me since I played her in Australia,” Stephens says emphatically. “And that should tell everyone something, how she went from saying all these nice things about me to unfollowing me on Twitter.”

Her mom tries to slow her down, but Sloane is insistent. “Like, seriously! People should know. They think she’s so friendly and she’s so this and she’s so that — no, that’s not reality! You don’t unfollow someone on Twitter, delete them off of BlackBerry Messenger. I mean, what for? Why?”

Stephens also responds to this cryptic tweet that Williams sent two days after their quarterfinal match:

“I was like, ‘You really don’t think I know that that’s about me?’”
Stephens tells the magazine.

Needless to say, it seems like Stephens had some things to get off her chest about the media’s portrayal of her relationship with Williams and she didn’t hold back.

In the interview (which was conducted in late March), Stephens debunks the myth that she and Williams have shared a close bond. Though both played a part in allowing that narrative to spin out of control during the Australian Open, Stephens now says that contrary to popular belief, Williams was never her favorite player.

“I’ve always said Kim Clijsters is my favorite player, so it’s kind of weird,” she says.

In fact, Stephens describes an incident when she was 12 and first saw Williams play, in Delray Beach, Fla., at a Fed Cup tie (ironically, the two were Fed Cup teammates two weeks ago in Delray Beach), that left her with a bad impression of Serena and her sister Venus.

“I waited all day [for an autograph],” she explains. “They walked by three times and never signed our posters.”

Stephens adds of the poster: “I hung it up [in my room] for a while. I was, like, devastated because they didn’t sign it, whatever, and then after that I was over it. I found a new player to like because I didn’t like them anymore.

The story is particularly enlightening given how much was made of that Serena poster in the lead-up to their Australian Open match. Asked about the poster during her post-win interview with Rennae Stubbs, Stephens joked, “I think I’ll put a poster up of myself now.”

Stephens also eviscerated any shred of truth behind the overblown mentor-protege angle that many media outlets ran with when the two faced off in January, first in Brisbane and then in Melbourne:

“For the first 16 years of my life, she said one word to me and was never involved in my tennis whatsoever,” says Stephens. “I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal that she’s not involved now. If you mentor someone, that means you speak to them, that means you help them, that means you know about their life, that means you care about them. Are any of those things true at this moment? No, so therefore…”

I offer: “They want the next great American player.”

Stephens says: “They want another Serena.”

Last edited by shoparound : May 5th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2013, 05:09 AM   #2
country flag Lunaticalm

Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold Lunaticalm is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sloane disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

Serena can be so immature sometimes, but Sloane does not need to air dirty laundry in public like this - not when she has yet prove herself as a real contender on tour.

Lunaticalm is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #3
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for Sloane in their next match. Hopefully Serena won´t read this... I will follow her tweets in the following days, definetely another one like the "I made you" will appear

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Robson - Stosur - Cibulkova - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #4
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute

this bitch.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #5
country flag SerenaMJ

SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future SerenaMJ has a brilliant future

Ha ha, and we all saw Serena talking to her a lot at Fed Cup, so...
Whatever, Sloane moaning like 5 year LOL

My Twitter Serena followed me on 13/12/2013
SerenaMJ is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #6
country flag it-girl
Veelieving!!!!!!!

it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute it-girl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane Stephens disses Serena in new ESPN Magazine Article

The more Sloane talks the more I dislike her. I mean she clearly lives and breathes Serena. All she's doing is trying to use Serena's name to milk her 15 minutes of fame longer. Because her results are not even remotely worth talking about. All of this petty mess coming from Sloane all because Serena didn't embrace her as her BFF. I swear Sloane is turning into a Serena stalker. The girl is showing the entire world that she has mental issues.

What other players on tour care about someone not talking to them, looking at them or not seeing them? Sloane is beyond childish. Not to mention the fact that Serena was talking to her during the Fed cup. So not only is she a spoiled brat, she's a liar too.

VEELIEVER ♥ RENA'S ARMY♥
it-girl is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #7
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

This is disgusting! She makes me angry!

~CASTANO~MEUSBURGER~SADIKOVIC~J.Cohen~
Drake1980 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #8
country flag andyjason

andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold andyjason is a splendid one to behold

Already said Serena is a great tennis player but not a great person.
andyjason is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #9
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

What I liked most about Sloane here is she has the guts to say something that most of the players on tour can never. But now its interesting to see how she handles Serena in their next matchup.Serena and her classless tweets.
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #10
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by it-girl View Post
The more Sloane talks the more I dislike her. I mean she clearly lives and breathes Serena. All she's doing is trying to use Serena's name to milk her 15 minutes of fame longer. Because her results are not even remotely worth talking about. All of this petty mess coming from Sloane all because Serena didn't embrace her as her BFF. I swear Sloane is turning into a Serena stalker. The girl is showing the entire world that she has mental issues.

What other players on tour care about someone not talking to them, looking at them or not seeing them? Sloane is beyond childish. Not to mention the fact that Serena was talking to her during the Fed cup. So not only is she a spoiled brat, she's a liar too.

~CASTANO~MEUSBURGER~SADIKOVIC~J.Cohen~
Drake1980 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #11
country flag StarDuvallGrant
Golden State Of Mind

StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjason View Post
Already said Serena is a great tennis player but not a great person.
Sloane is not a great player or person.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

StarDuvallGrant is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #12
country flag shoryuken

shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute shoryuken has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
But now its interesting to see how she handles Serena in their next matchup.
As if Sloane will get there
\ /
I IV
serenaslam.tumblr.com
shoryuken is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #13
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Still bitter about being blocked by Serena on Twitter? Please. Hope she keep slumping and be the next Alexandra Stevenson.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #14
country flag StarDuvallGrant
Golden State Of Mind

StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute StarDuvallGrant has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashwanth View Post
What I liked most about Sloane here is she has the guts to say something that most of the players on tour can never. But now its interesting to see how she handles Serena in their next matchup.Serena and her classless tweets.
That something you like. That its negative about Serena, otherwise if Sloane said this about someone you liked, she would be classless and not so gutsy. Are you a player on tour? How do you know what is on the minds of the players? Or are you like Sloane and make things up too?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

StarDuvallGrant is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #15
country flag yashwanth

yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all yashwanth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoryuken View Post
As if Sloane will get there
Why dont it happen. If Sloane keeps playing like she is right now she would dip down the rankings and she may face Serena in R1 or R2
yashwanth is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread