Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game - Page 32 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #466
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
This is probably the most subtle post I've ever seen from you.

Nice try, but there were some players in the 4/5-slam region in the 90s -- I was talking about the rise in 1/2-time Slam champions in this generation, who I would argue are the equivalents of the likes of Zvereva, Fernandez, Sabatini and Novotna in the 90s Generation.

But yes, I'd concede that Maria would probably have won 1 less Slam or maybe 2 less in the 90s (I already said I believe Maria probably wouldn't've won Wimbledon back then, seeing as Graf was so good on grass virtually every year, Maria probably wouldn't have been as fortunate to get such a relatively weak opponent in a Wimbledon final as she did in 2004 .... but I think Maria could've beaten a below-peak Graf at the other 3 Slams).
The one-slam wonders during Serena's era all came at RG ( and it ain't like there weren't RG-wonders during Graf's era). For the rest, the only 1st-timers that Serena was directly responsible for were Sharapova ( thought you'd be thankful for that) and Stosur, both of them when she was just returning from injury.

Relatively weak opponent, huh?! Well..we all know how weak that opponent turned out to be since. Now when Sharapova manages 7 games against Serena, it's considered a good match.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #467
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSiren View Post
Graf Struggled Against a 17 year old immature Serena
with a not so good FH and Serve compare to now....
The woman Serena was playing was not peak Graf,but a semi-retired player coming back from many operations and injuries in years gone by,while already in her 30th year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaSiren View Post
She was Playing in a weak Era with her Rival(Monica) stabbed
and the rest are just bunch of Midgets and Amy Dillinghams and Brie Whiteheads
Henin>>kim>>Azarenka>>Sharapova>>Steffi Grafluke

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Feb 3rd, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM   #468
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
...And just look at this, a four year old not just moving towards and timing the ball perfectly with wood:

She had those legs right from childhood, ready to do the necessary footwork.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #469
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinna View Post
She had those legs right from childhood, ready to do the necessary footwork.

True,she was a top athlete herself with phenomenal 800 meters track result to her name...
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM   #470
country flag Passierschlag

Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light Passierschlag is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist View Post
She would be a top 30 player but I don't think she could get into the top 20. There are too many players whose style of play she would struggle with. I don't think she could beat anybody in the current top 10 (maybe with the exception of Errani) She would lose to Bartoli because Marion's game resembles too much of that of Seles which Graf always find difficult to handle. Other players she would struggle against include Cibulkova (her game is similar to that of her nemesis, Coetzer), Niculescu (she would find no answers to Monica's quirky style of play) and Kanepi (who would overcome Graf with her accuracy and sheer power).
She wan an amzing talent but she would also have problems with the following players too: Azarenka could wear her out with her brick wall-style defense, Suarez Navarro would stand a good chance against her with her special style of play and I think she would also struggle with Wozniacki's game. I mean at times she found it hard to defeat Sanchez-Vicario and Wozniacki serves better and is faster than Arrantxa.
Passierschlag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #471
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabelcroft View Post
The woman Serena was playing was not peak Graf,but a semi-retired player coming back from many operations and injuries in years gone by,while already in her 30th year...

You dont wanna envision what peak Serena would do to peak Graf ...enough said with all your day dreaming and hypotheticals, every supreme athlete has had career threatening surgery in their life (knees, shoulder, foot, back etc), so stop with the nonsense
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #472
country flag cehowardrx7
74,Old,Dirty & Fast

cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute cehowardrx7 has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody needs to tell Agassi, and Graf Fans, that NOBODY,and I mean NOBODY will ever forget the STABBING of Graf's opponent, to make it easier for her to win slams. Nobody!!!

74,old, fast, and dirty..My daily warm up: http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv / http://www.cehoward.net/situps1.AVI
Coming down from 3 miles up.. http://www.cehoward.net/188.jpg
My daily commuter motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/pretty4.JPG
My roadrace motorcycle: http://www.cehoward.net/630-P.jpg
cehowardrx7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #473
country flag machinist

machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all machinist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passierschlag View Post
She wan an amzing talent but she would also have problems with the following players too: Azarenka could wear her out with her brick wall-style defense, Suarez Navarro would stand a good chance against her with her special style of play and I think she would also struggle with Wozniacki's game. I mean at times she found it hard to defeat Sanchez-Vicario and Wozniacki serves better and is faster than Arrantxa.
I agree. Peak Wozniacki would probably defeat Graf in straight sets. TThere would be long rallies and games but Wozniacki would eventually wear out Graf.
machinist is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #474
country flag Cloon76

Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all Cloon76 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardrx7 View Post
Somebody needs to tell Agassi, and Graf Fans, that NOBODY,and I mean NOBODY will ever forget the STABBING of Graf's opponent, to make it easier for her to win slams. Nobody!!!
Calm down mate, nobody has forgotten, and we never will
Cloon76 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #475
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Relax...
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #476
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Pretty much, Andre. Steffi would be battling Serena for #1. I think she would beat the likes of Maria, Vika, and Aga 8 out of 10 matches they played. Although, I believe a fit, in-form Kvitova and Clijsters would have matched up well against Steffi. I think it would have been cool to see Steffi play Justine Henin!

In truth, if the Monica Seles of 1991-1992 played today, she would slay them all. In general, with the exception of Serena, I believe Graf, Seles, and even peak Capriati are far superior to the top players of today.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #477
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carling View Post
Yep. Pretty much, Andre. Steffi would be battling Serena for #1. I think she would beat the likes of Maria, Vika, and Aga 8 out of 10 matches they played. Although, I believe a fit, in-form Kvitova and Clijsters would have matched up well against Steffi. I think it would have been cool to see Steffi play Justine Henin!

In truth, if the Monica Seles of 1991-1992 played today, she would slay them all. In general, with the exception of Serena, I believe Graf, Seles, and even peak Capriati are far superior to the top players of today.
Not 100% about Kvitova because she can play well but mentally she would have to drastically improve to close out Graf. Clijsters would be very similar. Pre-1st retirement Kim likely wouldn't trouble Graf too much but post-retirement Kim likely would be a tough match up for Graf.

Justine would be interesting but I think that matchup would really be best on clay or grass. A HC match series would likely be split between them.

Monica would indeed slay them all ....... except Serena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #478
country flag Anabelcroft

Quote:
Tell them ALL Cehy

And please PUNISH THEM ALL because they didn't listen to you when they voted all around the world...tennis experts included

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Mar 17th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #479
country flag Anabelcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
You dont wanna envision what peak Serena would do to peak Graf ...enough said with all your day dreaming and hypotheticals, every supreme athlete has had career threatening surgery in their life (knees, shoulder, foot, back etc)
If their encounters were tight while both being far from their peak,I think that there would have been interesting matches while both peaking,so stop being smart about something that has never happened and you just want to assume,but don't know...I mean,if we speak about day dreaming and hypotheticals,it's you who dreams,I talk about results that actually happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSumGame View Post
stop with the nonsense
It seems "we" started talking in imperative?

I kneel and bow

Last edited by Anabelcroft : Mar 17th, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #480
country flag Valorian

Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light Valorian is a glorious beacon of light

Graf is an all-time great but Serena is much more powerful.
Valorian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote