Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #16
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future
Re: Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Even players like Novotna would've caused Pova huge problems with the slice, keeping it low and exposing Pova's lack of footwork on grass.

Graf was the most immaculate athlete to ever play the game. Her footwork was exceptional, her foot speed was peerless and she was able to translate this over every surface. She was one of the 'assoluta' players of the game of tennis, no question.

I don't know how well her lack of a consistently driven BH would hold up in today's game, but her athleticism would be 10x higher than the majority of the top 10.
When you've got Steffi Graf's forehand and movement, you can get away with not having a complete game. Also, athleticism =/= good movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalicious View Post
Graf is a great player, obviously. But if she played I don't think she would be Top 30.

Was Andre saying he could be No. 5 if he trained hard? oh Dear!
If he was in his prime, and trained hard, and got a little lucky yes that's what he was saying. But then, being number 5 in todays game is like saying you'd be slightly less irrelevant than every other player in the game, but still not able to touch the big 4.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #17
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Nah.

She couldn't cope with Monica because of her power and she could barely cope with the Williams sisters (or Davenport) with their power.

But then again today's WTA tour is god awful so who knows.
She beat all three in her last year on tour.

I wouldnt call that barely coping.

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #18
country flag King Halep
♥ Si Si Simona Si Si Si

King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute King Halep has a reputation beyond repute

She wasnt even the best in her time. Seles was beating her on hardcourt and clay
King Halep is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #19
country flag crazillo

crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute crazillo has a reputation beyond repute

She would do well today for sure. Not sure she could win as many slams as she did but she would definitely have 10+. Her slice was awesome and a secret weapon. She hardly missed any balls. I only think she would have to improve her second serve.

BTW, Novotna had a very good record against young Venus. She would also cause many problems for power players.
"There is a saying that there is no friendship in tennis, but I've proven the opposite. After all of them are here, it means that there is friendship and I want to thank them for being here tonight. I hope the fans are happy too."

My blog about my semester spent in China (bilingual in both German and English):
http://crazillo.jimdo.com! Please feel free to make comments!!
crazillo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #20
babsi

babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future babsi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
She wasnt even the best in her time. Seles was beating her on hardcourt and clay
Steffi was beating Monica on hardcourt and clay as well.

In fact she was doing it in 91, one of Monicas best years.

babsi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #21
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

Quote:
And so it begins.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #22
country flag SilverSlam

SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute SilverSlam has a reputation beyond repute

Of course he did, he knows that sleeping in a bed is better than the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Is it really her? because one time i had a two week conversation with Kirsten Dunst, before i realised she was a fake one
SilverSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #23
country flag Mixal

Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future Mixal has a brilliant future
Re: Agassi: (peak) Graf would be the best in today's game

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
Tea of truth. Imagine Maria trying to return Graf's slice on grass.
So obsessesed
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #24
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
The greatest female tennis player to play the game would be a top player today if she was in peak physical condition? I am shocked!
I know it's a stunning revelation isn't it? Next they'll be telling us that if Jimi Hendrix had lived he'd be a mean guitar picker.

Last edited by bobito : Jan 29th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #25
country flag nishikorifan

nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice

Graf couldnt even handle Seles at her peak so how on earth would she handle Serena who serves way better, returns as well, hits harder off the ground, moves far better, is a much better athlete, and is better at the net than peak Seles. Maybe she could be the paper #1 ala Azarenka, but even prime Steffi wouldnt be the best over Serena.
nishikorifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #26
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Agassi is biased but I agree with him. Especially since if she was playing she'd have gotten used to the increased power bit by bit. Plus she'd have the current gear (racket, strings) that is a part of the increase in power.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #27
country flag nishikorifan

nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice nishikorifan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Or indeed Serena, seeing as she struggled to deal with Emilie Loit's mediocre slice at the peak of her career

Honestly, there would be NOONE in today's game who could compete with Steffi on grass. Hardcourts maybe would be a slightly different story.
Serena from the Olympics would kill Graf on grass. Graf wouldnt even touch Serena's serve s half the games are already gone before Serena even has to play beyond that. The fact Graf struggled with mediocre grass players like Seles, Sabatini, Sanchez, and a mental midget non great like Novotna on grass already says enough about how she would do vs Serena.
nishikorifan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #28
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

she'd be top 3 - Serena would have her beat. Parche is banned from tournaments.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #29
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishikorifan View Post
but even prime Steffi wouldnt be the best over Serena.
I disagree. Either way it would be close and not the slam-dunk you make it out to be. If Henin, Raadwanska can deal with Williams' power enough to give her close matches to say that a peak Graf couldn't is looney. Not to mention that I'm not sure Williams is the hardest hitter on tour.

BTW #1 is always "on paper."
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #30
country flag pastadudde

pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all pastadudde is a name known to all

Quote:
Steffi took Seles to 3 sets on clay and trashed her on grass and fast hard courts...
pastadudde is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote