Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game

Andre Agassi tells AAP that his wife, 43-year-old Steffi Graf, could be successful in today’s game. Graf, who retired in 1999, won 22 Grand Slams.

"From a health perspective, it would be impossible," Agassi said. "You've got to be healthy. I don't know how Kimiko [Date-Krumm] has done it. That's remarkable. From a game perspective, I can honestly say that — unlike in the men's game — Steffi's game from the mid-90s lives up to the standard of today. She can offset the power.

"The power of the women's game has changed considerably but she always had the ability to offset that by bringing people forward with her slice and keeping the ball down low. And she's such an athlete. I don't know if anyone has ever run like her in the history of the game. As a result, her best would match up, unlike mine. Mine would not. I'd work hard to be No. 5 in the world right now."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/.../#.UQfl479Sgwo
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Agassi: (peak) Graf would be the best in today's game

Tea of truth. Imagine Maria trying to return Graf's slice on grass.

█████████████████ʘ
There’s nothing new
under the sun,
but there are new suns.
O.B.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: Agassi: Graf's peak form would still make her the best in today's game

You're crazy if you don't think that Graf would be a top-class, elite player in any era.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #4
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for Enquirer-like misdirection, lol.

Not quite what Andre said, is it?

Sure, if she was in shape, training and competing every day now like KDK, she could compete with the best. #1? That's a different story, a limb Agassi didn't crawl out on.

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
Aravanecaravan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
Or indeed Serena, seeing as she struggled to deal with Emilie Loit's mediocre slice at the peak of her career

Honestly, there would be NOONE in today's game who could compete with Steffi on grass. Hardcourts maybe would be a slightly different story.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future

The greatest female tennis player to play the game would be a top player today if she was in peak physical condition? I am shocked!
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #7
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
Even players like Novotna would've caused Pova huge problems with the slice, keeping it low and exposing Pova's lack of footwork on grass.

Graf was the most immaculate athlete to ever play the game. Her footwork was exceptional, her foot speed was peerless and she was able to translate this over every surface. She was one of the 'assoluta' players of the game of tennis, no question.

I don't know how well her lack of a consistently driven BH would hold up in today's game, but her athleticism would be 10x higher than the majority of the top 10.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #8
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post
Even players like Novotna would've caused Pova huge problems with the slice, keeping it low and exposing Pova's lack of footwork on grass.

Graf was the most immaculate athlete to ever play the game. Her footwork was exceptional, her foot speed was peerless and she was able to translate this over every surface. She was one of the 'assoluta' players of the game of tennis, no question.

I don't know how well her lack of a consistently driven BH would hold up in today's game, but her athleticism would be 10x higher than the majority of the top 10.
Why wouldn't it? I mean, even Stosur has been a top 5 player in this era with a backhand that she slices the majority of the time, even though every component of her game (including the BH slice itself) is about 20 times as inferior as Steffi's. Not to mention that, on the rare occasion that Steffi did drive through a BH, it would usually be a pretty big shot.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9
country flag Stamp Paid
Joshua

Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute Stamp Paid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dawntreader View Post

And Steffi would have eaten her hapless serve for breakfast.
Steffi definitely carves out 10+ slams in any era.

█████████████████ʘ
There’s nothing new
under the sun,
but there are new suns.
O.B.
Stamp Paid is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #10
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Why wouldn't it? I mean, even Stosur has been a top 5 player in this era with a backhand that she slices the majority of the time, even though every component of her game (including the BH slice itself) is about 20 times as inferior as Steffi's. Not to mention that, on the rare occasion that Steffi did drive through a BH, it would usually be a pretty big shot.
True, but Stosur's lack of a consistently compact drive backhand is a glaring weakness for her still, and she had to maximise it to its fullest just to enter the top 5.

That said, Graf's athleticism would probably more than compensate, although late in her career, her backhand was getting preyed on more regularly and it was found wanting in a few big matches in the late 90's.

Every player has flaws.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #11
country flag Renalicious
goatra

Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute Renalicious has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Agassi: Graf would be the best in today's game

Graf is a great player, obviously. But if she played I don't think she would be Top 30.

Was Andre saying he could be No. 5 if he trained hard? oh Dear!

serena, jankovic, venus, na, hsieh, date-krumm, jovanovski
makarova, diatchenko, halep, goerges and kvitova

My Youtube Channel
Renalicious is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Another "Graf would have eaten all of these stupid ballbashers alive with her crazy speed and slices" thread...
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #13
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renalicious View Post
Graf is a great player, obviously. But if she played I don't think she would be Top 30.

Was Andre saying he could be No. 5 if he trained hard? oh Dear!
With the help of meth of course
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Nah.

She couldn't cope with Monica because of her power and she could barely cope with the Williams sisters (or Davenport) with their power.

But then again today's WTA tour is god awful so who knows.
heavyhorse is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
country flag pancake

pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute pancake has a reputation beyond repute

She would do well in any era just based on her supreme athleticism alone. Her footwork and footspeed are just insanely good.
pancake is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote