Protected Ranking for Robson? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 28th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
country flag vaslav37

vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice vaslav37 is just really nice
Protected Ranking for Robson?

Will Laura receive a protected ranking when she returns? after Wimbledon she is sure to drop out of the top 100 and its only fair she gets a protected ranking.

Will she return for the US Open or the Asian Autumn circuit?
vaslav37 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #2
country flag KeysisGOAT

KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future KeysisGOAT has a brilliant future
Re: Protected Ranking for Robson?

If she's put for 6+ months (and she will be), yes she'll get one. And no, probably not.
KeysisGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:48 AM   #3
country flag *hingis_forever*

*hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future

I think it's worth mentioning that Garbine Muguruza, who is perhaps the main story of this year's Roland Garros on the women's side, didn't play from Wimbledon last year until January this year, due to a foot injury. Upon her return she has made the 4th round at the Australian Open, 4th round (or better) at Roland Garros, won her first title, and generally played better than ever. Now, this may seem off topic, but hopefully Laura can take heart and inspiration from Muguruza's impressive return from a lengthy injury break.

*hingis_forever* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4
country flag James Wolfe

James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by *hingis_forever* View Post
I think it's worth mentioning that Garbine Muguruza, who is perhaps the main story of this year's Roland Garros on the women's side, didn't play from Wimbledon last year until January this year, due to a foot injury. Upon her return she has made the 4th round at the Australian Open, 4th round (or better) at Roland Garros, won her first title, and generally played better than ever. Now, this may seem off topic, but hopefully Laura can take heart and inspiration from Muguruza's impressive return from a lengthy injury break.
I expressed a similar sentiment at the end of January this year when Laura first announced she was withdrawing from Fed Cup and it was beginning to become clear that she was facing a long lay-off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wolfe View Post
Once Laura returns to the tour fit and healthy again we might be surprised how quickly she finds her groove. Just look at Garbine Muguruza. She took the whole 2nd half of last season off to have foot surgery, and when the experts came to make their predictions for this year they'd forgotten all about her. What happens? Garbine wins her 1st career title in Hobart, and then reaches the last 16 at the AO, knocking out Wozniacki. From nowhere she's overtaken Keys in the rankings and is now the 2nd highest ranked 'young gun' behind Eugénie.
But, upon reflection, I'm not so sure that Muguruza is the best comparison. Though she was out of the game with a serious injury it was not something that affected her strokes. If and when Laura's wrist has healed she has to regain the confidence to hit the ball uninhibitedly, in the knowledge that she'll be free of pain. It's natural that she may start tentatively when she returns to the tour as much as I'd love her to have a dream return like Garbiñe. Judy Murray has commented on Laura, "You have to be careful with wrist injuries... Andy went through a wrist injury some years ago and psychologically it's a difficult one because everything in tennis goes through your wrist."

Laura tweeted early this morning that she's catching a flight to Florida today to see her surgeon, Dr Berger. Fingers crossed for good news.

Last edited by James Wolfe : Jun 2nd, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
James Wolfe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:28 PM   #5
country flag AshBolt

AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of AshBolt has much to be proud of

The protected ranking will hopefully make her return a bit smoother, whenever that may be. But hopefully Laura will start by entering some ITF tournaments (and hopefully winning some more ITF titles.) I know I used hopefully wayy too much then.
AshBolt is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #6
country flag nate89

nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light nate89 is a glorious beacon of light

Her cast is off, which is a good sign. Hopefully she'll be fit for the US open. As long as it's healed properly, I imagine she'll be hitting again in around 4 weeks, which would give her time to prepare.
nate89 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 08:51 PM   #7
country flag James Wolfe

James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of James Wolfe has much to be proud of

^

James Wolfe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:21 PM   #8
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely can't see her being back before the USO. Asian swing at the earliest but even then I'm doubtful.

Wasn't there some rumour going around a while ago (before the surgery) that she would play doubles only in Indian Wells or Miami with Sloane Stephens? Maybe not a bad idea. Sharapova-esque.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
country flag RobCic

RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light RobCic is a glorious beacon of light

Came across this article a few days ago:

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id...-espn-magazine

According to Dr Berger 6 weeks need to be spent in a cast and then a further 10 weeks rehabbing. Seeing as she just took her cast off the earliest she can come back is 11th August. Wonder whether she would want to use her protected ranking for the US Open anyway because it would just waste a tournament if she didn't feel completely ready. Not sure that they would give her a wildcard either presuming she was willing to play because she has the opportunity to use her protected ranking if she wants to.
RobCic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote