OMG its true, Baltacha and Anne K get Aust Open Wildcards, Might be a One off Though! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:23 AM   #1
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
OMG its true, Baltacha and Anne K get Aust Open Wildcards, Might be a One off Though!

BRITISH DUO GET GRAND SLAM CHANCE

Two British players have been awarded wildcard places at the Australian Open, the first grand slam of the year.

The places have been given by organisers in return for two spots for Australian women at Wimbledon.

The players put forward by the Lawn Tennis Association are British number one Elena Baltacha for the main draw wildcard and British number four Anne Keothavong for the qualifiers.

Baltacha, world ranked 157, reached the third round at Wimbledon this year by defeating South African Amanda Coetzer.

The powerful right-hander, whose father Sergei played football for Ipswich and Dynamo Kiev, also clocked the third fastest serve (118 mph) on her Wimbledon debut in 2001 with only the Williams sisters recording faster during the tournament.

Keothavong, ranked 236 in the world, was a girls singles semi-finalist at Wimbledon in 2001.

In this year's main draw, she lost to France's Virgine Razzano in the first round.

Australian Open chief executive Paul McNamee said: "These wildcards will be a great early Christmas present for the British players to know that they will be on the plane to Melbourne to compete in the Australian Open in January.

"Both Wimbledon and the Australian Open can be tough tournaments to get into solely on world rankings so it's a real developmental benefit for both Tennis Australia and the LTA that this exchange between the two grand slams has been established for 2003."
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:27 AM   #2
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future
Sounds like a one off exchange for this year which isnt a bad idea!

Anne K and Elena B are the biggest hopes for British tennis in years!!

Australia doesnt have any juniors that are quite ready yet for Aust Open wildcards e.g Olivia L, D. Dominikovic etc.

Hopefully by July 2003 players like Christina H, Casey D and B Sekulowski will be ready to take the challenge up
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM   #3
Shine On Silver Moon

Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of Shine On Silver Moon has much to be proud of
Thumbs up GOOD LUCK, BALTACHA!

It is good to know Baltacha got WC for MD! I hope she can reach at least 2nd R...In her junior years, she lost twice to Angelique Widjaja...First, in R2 of Japan Open 2000 - Angie defeated her 63 63...then in SF of Junior Wimbledon 2001 in 3 sets...Angie who eventually grabbed the title - won vs Baltacha 57 76(2) 62! It will be great to see another match between the two again in a grand slam! I bet, Angie will come out as the winner!!!
Shine On Silver Moon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #4
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Christina H and Samantha S are pretty good on the grass, I'd give one of the WC's for Wimby to one of either of these.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:18 PM   #5
england_rules

Yes! It's true!!!!!!!
View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:16 PM   #6
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute
Good to hear the british girls get wildcards outside of the UK

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:28 PM   #7
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute
This is strange. Not one but two Brits got wildcards. That makes four foreigners out of eight! What about the Aussie players?
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:42 PM   #8
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Experi...Anne K only got a qualifying WC

SERENA. MUGU. VIKA. PETKO. CARO. TIMEA. SVETA. HEATHER. KAIA. TAMIRA. FLAVIA. GEORGI. COCO. LUCIE, SLOANE. PENG. SORANA. ALICIA. JAEDA. CICI. FRANCOISE.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. SHENAY. DINARA. GISELA. SPREM.
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:11 PM   #9
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute
I'd expect Stosur (MD) and Horiatopoulos(qualies) to egt teh Wimby WC's as Eggy said.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 08:55 PM   #10
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute
It sounds like a good move.

I wish all of the majors would think outside the box in handing out WC's...maybe something like, if you win the juniors you automatically get into next year's main draw or something...

Of course the only nation who doesn't do anything like this is the States
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:07 PM   #11
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute
lol, and they are the ones with the most players in teh main draw directly!!
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #12
country flag BK4ever

BK4ever has disabled reputation
Hurley, prior to this arrangement, what other Slam was generous with their WC's lay off the US. No one else gives our players WC's so why should we be expected to give up ours.

I do agree that the winner of the Junior tournament should get a WC into the Qualie draw the following year.

SERENA. MUGU. VIKA. PETKO. CARO. TIMEA. SVETA. HEATHER. KAIA. TAMIRA. FLAVIA. GEORGI. COCO. LUCIE, SLOANE. PENG. SORANA. ALICIA. JAEDA. CICI. FRANCOISE.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. SHENAY. DINARA. GISELA. SPREM.
BK4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2002, 12:29 AM   #13
country flag Hurley
Enemy of Art

Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute Hurley has a reputation beyond repute
And duh, if we had a reciprocal deal, people would. That's how these are going. That's what "reciprocal" means.

Prior to this arrangement, AO and FO had been exchanging slots for 2-3 years, and AO has been giving up a spot for an Asian for 6-7 years.
Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:39 AM   #14
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Lawn Tennis Association officials have pointed out that the mutual arrangement with Tennis Australia for them to give one British player (Elena Baltacha) a wild card into the main draw and one (Anne Keothavong) into the qualifying, with a reciprocal arrangement for Australian players at Wimbledon, will not necessarily be a permanent policy.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2002, 01:48 AM   #15
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
A few years back the US did actually have a reciprocal arrangement with Tennis Aust. Only for one year. Nicole Bradtke who coming back from marriage/time off was awarded a w/c into the US Open, I think Anne Miller got the other into Aus Open, a few months later.