NFL sportswriter names Williams as top sports siblings "ever" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #16
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NFL sportswriter names Williams as top sports siblings "ever"

Also, I just remembered the Alomar family, the dad Sandy, son Sandy Jr, and Mary Pierce's/Meghan Shaughnessy's mistake Roberto. In baseball, there are a lot of baseball families: e.g., the Bonds, the Griffeys, etc.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #17
country flag Super Dave

Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute Super Dave has a reputation beyond repute

The Alou brothers!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #18
country flag RenaPova

RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future RenaPova has a brilliant future

RenaPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #19
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

They are easily the Sport's story of the beginning of the 21st century. The odds that 2 black girls from Compton would be competing for Grand slam titles against each other is rare enough but the fact that they are siblings make it all the more interesting. Love them both and so happy I have been blessed to watch their careers. Tennis will surely miss them when they are gone.

Thanks so much,you'll right on point 100%.Doubles slams single slams Gold medals career slam.Mix slams. WOW.
__
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #20
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
Actually that "sport" would make that scenario even more likely given what you need to become successful.
Oh we've got one of those "motorsport isn't a sport" snobs in the house.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #21
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Soccer has too many sibling pairings to count, actually. But again, any list that doesn't include Jack and Bobby Charlton is useless. Between them:

1 World Cup
1 World Cup quarterfinal
4 League titles
2 FA Cups
1 Football League Cup
1 European Championship
5 FA Charity Shields
2 Fairs Cups
2 International Footballer of the Year Awards (1 ea.)
1 Manager of the Year
10 Home Championships
Even though I agree you can make a good case for Serena and Venus.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs

Last edited by miffedmax : Jan 28th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #22
country flag blongislong

blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold blongislong is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
Well, there's all three Cruz brothers and the Niekro brothers. And the Laudrup Brothers. And the Waner brothers are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Etc., etc.

Of course, for my money, you can't beat the Bohr brothers, both of whom played soccer for Akadamisk Boldkulb before giving up football and wasting their time in physics (Niels, Nobel Prize winner) and mathematics (Harald, who revolutionized the field of periodic functions and won a silver medal at the 1908 Olympics).
It is killing you knowing the WS are the best. sad:
blongislong is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:11 PM   #23
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Some of your so stupid here I'm not surprise you didn't vote for Mo Larry Curly. THIS is 2013...
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #24
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--morning-rush--super-bowl-bound-harbaugh-brothers-not-no--1-sporting-siblings-090736847.html

No.1: Game, Set, Match to the Williams Sisters
I'm sorry, but the odds of two kids from Compton, Calif., ascending to the top of a country-club sport – and, indeed, becoming two of the best women's tennis players of all time – are unfathomably astronomical. When Venus and her younger sister Serena met in the U.S. Open final in 2001, it was tense, fascinating and a bit unnerving. And then it happened again. And again. And again. … The two have met in eight Grand Slam finals, including four consecutive times from 2002-03. Think about that. Each has won five Wimbledon titles. They've combined to win 22 Grand Slam singles championships and, as a doubles team, have captured 13 more. I remember when it first dawned on me that this family might produce two simultaneous superstars, and it was an exhilarating feeling even then. Given that tennis requires its competitors to be out there alone, exposed and vulnerable, I can't imagine a set of sports siblings topping the Williams Sisters in my lifetime.
Nice post pov.

And to think that they'd receive such a recognition in my lifetime.
Bravo ladies...BRAVO!!
More and more, I am overwhelmed to have become and remained a fan of such a magnificent family and pair of athletes, even before they'd turned pro.
Hollywood could not even begin to write a more compelling script.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blongislong View Post
It is killing you knowing the WS are the best. sad:
1. Actually, I'm more pointing out that the rest of the list is incredibly lame, being short on memory and long on US sports figures.

2. I'm actually a Venus fan, so nothing is killing me
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #26
country flag deadparrot

deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of deadparrot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well, there's all three Cruz brothers and the Niekro brothers. And the Laudrup Brothers. And the Waner brothers are both in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Etc., etc.

Of course, for my money, you can't beat the Bohr brothers, both of whom played soccer for Akadamisk Boldkulb before giving up football and wasting their time in physics (Niels, Nobel Prize winner) and mathematics (Harald, who revolutionized the field of periodic functions and won a silver medal at the 1908 Olympics).
Wow, here's someone who knows his trivia In fact, Harald Bohr was also supposed to play for Denmark in the 1906 Intercalated Games in Athens (Denmark ended up winning the tournament), but he decided to stay in Denmark to help his brother Niels prepare his doctoral dissertation

The Laudrup Brothers' father, Finn Laudrup, was also a great, technically skilled football player who played 19 times for the Danish national team and played professionally in Austria.
deadparrot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #27
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Soccer has too many sibling pairings to count, actually. But again, any list that doesn't include Jack and Bobby Charlton is useless. Between them:

1 World Cup
1 World Cup quarterfinal
4 League titles
2 FA Cups
1 Football League Cup
1 European Championship
5 FA Charity Shields
2 Fairs Cups
2 International Footballer of the Year Awards (1 ea.)
1 Manager of the Year
10 Home Championships
Even though I agree you can make a good case for Serena and Venus.
That's quite the list for Soccer.
Are there any individual sport siblings that you are aware of?
None come to my mind at the moment.

That said, I believe that part of the 'awe' stems from the fact that Tennis, having the history that it has, makes this a very unusual and rare occurrence. Maybe it's just how I'm interpreting this story though.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #28
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
That's quite the list for Soccer.
Are there any individual sport siblings that you are aware of?
None come to my mind at the moment.

That said, I believe that part of the 'awe' stems from the fact that Tennis, having the history that it has, makes this a very unusual and rare occurrence. Maybe it's just how I'm interpreting this story though.
It is, and as a Venus fan I'm not trying to take anything away from them.

Like I said, I was just pointing out how provincial that writer's list was. It's very difficult to compare team and individual athletes, and I'm certainly not aware of any siblings in individual sports who compare to the WS. All props to them.

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #29
country flag JLG

JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute JLG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Oh we've got one of those "motorsport isn't a sport" snobs in the house.
If you can argue a tune up is similar to a workout then yeah

But as someone who played B-ball all my life then no....not even the argument about driver stress and the grueling laps and all.

Hell, I feel like that driving down south and all I have is stiff legs and a sore ass
JLG is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #30
country flag friendsita

friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future

Have to agree.