AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Was the women's final for enjoyable than the men's final?

Yes? 63 73.26%
No? 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #46
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO13: So would you say the women's final was more enjoyable than the men's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think Murray is a far more creative player than Djoko, who is very very good at what he does, but unfortunately what he does is not very enjoyable to watch.

Murray was great against Federer, but maybe that took too much out of him, because in the final he looked pretty flat and uninspired to me. But I'm still hoping for him, rather than Djoko or Nadal, to be the dominant player in the post-Fed era.
Oh please So sick of the excuses. Djokovic played five sets against Murray in the semifinals last year and then won in another five in the longest Grand Slam final in history. Not to mention at the US Open Djokovic had to play his match against Ferrer the day before the final. Murray at least got a day's rest before the final last night.

So much for Murray's excellent fitness

And how do you define "creative"? Djokovic hit 47 winners last night, Murray hit 29. Djokovic made 41 net approaches last night, Murray made 15. And no, pushing isn't creative.
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #47
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrees View Post
Oh please So sick of the excuses. Djokovic played five sets against Murray in the semifinals last year and then won in another five in the longest Grand Slam final in history. Not to mention at the US Open Djokovic had to play his match against Ferrer the day before the final. Murray at least got a day's rest before the final last night.

And how do you define "creative"? Djokovic hit 47 winners last night, Murray hit 29. Djokovic made 41 net approaches last night, Murray made 15. And no, pushing isn't creative.
I seem to have hit a nerve.

I never said that Djoko didn't deserve to win, just that I didn't enjoy the match. And if you want to believe Djoko is a more creative player than Murray, be my guest, it's not that big a deal to me. As I said I quite like both but am not a huge fan of either, so I don't feel moved to defend Murray here. This is not MTF after all.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #48
country flag wtftennis

wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I think Murray fell apart in the last 2 sets, especially the last set. I also thought he was more creative, whilst Djok was all power and agression. Still ofc think Djoc was the better player, just different style of plays.
wtftennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #49
BlueTrees

BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute BlueTrees has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I seem to have hit a nerve.

I never said that Djoko didn't deserve to win, just that I didn't enjoy the match. And if you want to believe Djoko is a more creative player than Murray, be my guest, it's not that big a deal to me. As I said I quite like both but am not a huge fan of either, so I don't feel moved to defend Murray here. This is not MTF after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtftennis View Post
I think Murray fell apart in the last 2 sets, especially the last set. I also thought he was more creative, whilst Djok was all power and agression. Still ofc think Djoc was the better player, just different style of plays.
Well in this match at least Murray didn't seem any more creative to me. The stats I gave in my last post speak for themself. Novak was more aggressive and also came into the net way more than his opponent. Also tried lots of things like drop shots, etc. Murray just tried to grind from the back of the court, and failed.

---

Anyway, like you said, this isn't MTF
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #50
country flag wtftennis

wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light wtftennis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Well in this match at least Murray didn't seem any more creative to me. The stats I gave in my last post speak for themself. Novak was more aggressive and also came into the net way more than his opponent. Also tried lots of things like drop shots, etc. Murray just tried to grind from the back of the court, and failed.

---

Anyway, like you said, this isn't MTF
Just trying to give Murray some credit, he seemed really fierce on the court, and I really felt sorry for him at the end. He did grow on me, and I think his game will improve.
wtftennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #51
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing Azarenka defeat Li in a grand slam final could never be described by me as an enjoyable experience. It was the tennis equivalent of watching an election night coverage and seeing the right wing party get elected. A very unsavory thing to have to go through.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #52
country flag Johnbert

Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of Johnbert has much to be proud of

awful finals. whole tournament (men and women) was boring and low quality at all.
Johnbert is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #53
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
............everybody was so soaked into the match by all the ankles, concussions, crowd behaviour and fireworks that it was hard to pay any attention to the quality.
The match was doomed before it started.

The RLA atmosphere was too grim. And you could see that on Azza and even on Na (she too was more nervous than normal from the start).

So basically there was never gonna be a quality tennis match that day.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #54
country flag momo_rama

momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice momo_rama is just really nice

For drama yea i guess, but the quality of both were poor. Vika was so more convincing last year, she really went after the title. This year Li Na handed it to her because she wasn't brave enough to go for the win. Apart from Sloane and the Warwinka match this was one of the most boring slams in recent history. I'm starting to really miss Rafa

Not sure if this slam bodes well for the rest of the year. WTA at least has some drama, ATP is starting to lack some real credibility apart from the top 4.
momo_rama is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #55
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say yes (despite the wrong outcome). not that the women's final was great by any means, but the men's final was terrible.

Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #56
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say yes (despite the wrong outcome). not that the women's final was great by any means, but the men's final was terrible.

Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #57
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula View Post
I think this poll is not reflective of the view of life outside this Forum! Azarenka's win barely made the press and I don't know anyone else who watched it.

As for the matches, there was no comparison. Novak was amazing. I don't think the equal pay issue will go away as the gulf between the two Tours is widening with each tournament.
It was on the national evening news in the UK and the match itself was on BBC 2 so I'm sure plenty of people watched it. Stop hating on women's tennis for the sake of it. It doesn't make you sound very aware.
Olórin is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #58
country flag Gerri

Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute Gerri has a reputation beyond repute

Both finals were pretty average and I'm certainly glad I didn't get up early for the start of the men's. The women's final at least had a bit of drama with Vika as the pantomime villain, a near knock out, and lovely fireworks.

I didn't really care who won either match so that takes away half the fun for me too.

I really hope the season improves from here.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #59
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
It was on the national evening news in the UK and the match itself was on BBC 2 so I'm sure plenty of people watched it. Stop hating on women's tennis for the sake of it. It doesn't make you sound very aware.
The fact that it was shown by BBC 2 doesn't prove anything...... Broadcasting was planned and rights were baught predicting more intersting final with Serena in the cast....

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #60
country flag ShiftyFella

ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute ShiftyFella has a reputation beyond repute

Men's was boring, i get tired of it after second set and turned it off in the middle of third, on the other hand Women's was more dramatic and enjoyable
ShiftyFella is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote