How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam" - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #76
country flag sweetpeas

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute sweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

The US Open is one of the biggest revenue generators for the WTA ever year. It earns more money than the Australian Open. Therefore its more important to the tour.

U S O #1

Wimbledon #2

A O #3

F.o #4
sweetpeas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #77
country flag Sergius

Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute

How the fact that the US Open earns more money than AO is relevant to the discussion?
I used to think that Grand Slams are more important than Tour events because of its history, ranking points and the amount of money the winner would get. And AO is like 'the biggest revenue generator' for the players IIRC
Sergius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #78
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post
So Wimbledon and FO don't earn money for the WTA - only the USO and AO ?

Oh I didn't know that.

They all earn money. Some just earn more than others.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #79
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

They all earn money. Some just earn more than others.

Do you honestly believe that I meant the above answer? I was being highly sarcastic Mr Trump.

You only mentioned the AO and USO - you never mentioned the other two. Why not

BTW - I have been going to Wimbledon for years - a client of mine is on the committee - and they are debenture holders plus his wife is on the committee, so I know quite a bit of what goes on there.
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #80
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
How the fact that the US Open earns more money than AO is relevant to the discussion?
I used to think that Grand Slams are more important than Tour events because of its history, ranking points and the amount of money the winner would get. And AO is like 'the biggest revenue generator' for the players IIRC

Are you serious?

If you have a thread topic based on the legitimacy of a particular slam, how much revenue, promotion, popularity and buzz the major creates is certainly important to the discussion.

Its hard to have tournaments without sponsors. Its hard to pay large purses without real good TV rights deals. And when you have 1 of the 4 most important tournaments of the year not airing in primetime TV in the USA, China or Europe.... that's not exactly a good thing. Thats not exactly life sustaining.

To be fair, as I have mentioned within this thread several times before. There are two issues here. There is the business side of the AO open where it's certainly one of the lesser slams. And there is the fan side of the AO where apparently its very popular posters on this message board.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #81
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post

Do you honestly believe that I meant the above answer? I was being highly sarcastic Mr Trump.

You only mentioned the AO and USO - you never mentioned the other two. Why not

Sorry.

On this message board with some issues, the ridiculousness reaches such high levels, I sometimes can't tell the difference.

In all honestly it was just an oversight to not mention the other two.

BTW.. please feel free to call me almost anything except Mr. Trump. He is a vile, terrible human being. I spent the greater part of a year donating and volunteering whenever I could, to help defeat people who think like him.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #82
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Because the size of the draw and all the top players compete if healthy..... next.....

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #83
country flag Sergius

Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
Are you serious?

If you have a thread topic based on the legitimacy of a particular slam, how much revenue, promotion, popularity and buzz the major creates is certainly important to the discussion.

Its hard to have tournaments without sponsors. Its hard to pay large purses without real good TV rights deals. And when you have 1 of the 4 most important tournaments of the year not airing in primetime TV in the USA, China or Europe.... that's not exactly a good thing. Thats not exactly life sustaining.

To be fair, as I have mentioned within this thread several times before. There are two issues here. There is the business side of the AO open where it's certainly one of the lesser slams. And there is the fan side of the AO where apparently its very popular posters on this message board.
So? Do they have any problems with sponsors?
Doesn't the time difference between Melbourne in New York equal 16 hours, so AO matches start at 7 p.m. New York time? Isn't that primetime?
And, you mentioned that AO gathered less money than other Slams. What are the numbers of other regular events? Are there any tennis parks huge enough to host a GS tournament?
Sergius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #84

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

anyway, for me AO is my second least favorite mainly because of the time of the matches with FO being last because I hate clay. I have a job so i cant stay up till 3 in the morning to watch a match...... I have been to the AO venue, I dont buy all the hoopla about it being an amazing atmosphere its much more compact that I expected, but Ive also noticed Aussie's tend to think everything they do is better than everyone else, but i guess all countries are like that.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #85

Quote:
Doesn't the time difference between Melbourne in New York equal 16 hours, so AO matches start at 7 p.m. New York time? Isn't that primetime?
And, you mentioned that AO gathered less money than other Slams. What are the numbers of other regular events? Are there any tennis parks huge enough to host a GS tournament?
but the marque matches dont start until 11 so coverage usually doesnt start until then. and then when you get to the end of the tournament they start in the middle of the night.

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #86
country flag wally1

wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future

The players seem to love the AO, no doubt about it (a lot of them probably just enjoy getting away from the shitty weather in europe at this time of year).

Speaking as a tennis fan though, I just find it harder and harder to distinguish from the US Open.
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #87
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

I don't view it as a Grand Slam. 'course that's because I view a Grand Slam as winning all 4 majors in one year.

My only gripe with it as a major is that I think it comes a little too early in the year.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally1 View Post
The players seem to love the AO, no doubt about it (a lot of them probably just enjoy getting away from the shitty weather in europe at this time of year).

Speaking as a tennis fan though, I just find it harder and harder to distinguish from the US Open.
This.

Of course the players love it. They vast majority of them are leaving cold winter temperatures to escape to Australia. "go to australia early and train? Its summer there right?" that wouldnt be a hard sell for anyone. lol

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Well that's based on my own observation from my circle of friends and the people I know and I have lived in 6 different countries, but yeah I might be wrong
you're not wrong... lol, someone just lives in their bubble. Noone knows what RG is. If I say Roland Garros people look at me like I'm crazy and then I have to explain about the 4 majors.... "theres more than Wimbledon?"

Serena Williams

Sharapova

Hantuchova
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #90
country flag T-rex

Quote:

If you read my earlier post in this thread it covers this in greater detail. But just to let you know, the WTA Final match aired live at 3:30AM in New York. Thats not good.