How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam" - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #46
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
With the disappearance of clay court tennis skills and clay court players, I would say the French Open is undergoing some kind of identity crisis. It seems that hardcourt baseliners can go there and bash their way to victory without having to adapt too much to the surface. The uniqueness of the tournament is rapidly changing to fit the requirement for the same style of tennis all year round.
Excellent post.

You are exactly right.

The French Open is rapidly declining in legitimacy.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #47
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. View Post
I sort of see the point the OP is trying to make, although I definitely wouldn't go as far as putting it on par with Miami.

Wimbledon and Roland Garros has the sense of history & tradition to make them that little bit extra special. Plus RG has all of clay season as buildup, as does the US Open series whereas the Aussie Open has a couple of weeks. I think the US Open has a better atmosphere than the AO too, but it's all down to personal preference.

A lot of it will depend on where you're from as well. For Europeans especially, following the AO in its entirety is difficult.
I dont like huge crowds so if AO is not as crammed with people as FO and USO, Im not complaining
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #48
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
Wow!

Um... the US Open is the most important tournament of the year.

I love this board dearly. But I have come to the conclusion that there are not a lot of people where with business backgrounds or who understand how sports business works.
We had this tiring discussion last year, I'm a sports and not a business fan. No, the USO is in no shape or form the most important tournament of the year, that will always be Wimbledon. Heritage can't be bought with money.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #49
country flag 5tephane

5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice

For most Europeans, there's RG and Wimby, then the rest.
5tephane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #50
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
We had this tiring discussion last year, I'm a sports and not a business fan. No, the USO is in no shape or form the most important tournament of the year, that will always be Wimbledon. Heritage can't be bought with money.

I stand corrected. Fair point.

Heritage and personal importance is one thing. Business is another.

I was off topic. I misunderstood the context of your earlier post.

My apologies.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #51
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tephane View Post
For most Europeans, there's RG and Wimby, then the rest.
For the rest of the world, RG is so unknown. Wimbledon is so unique that people still knows it no matter what, it's the only tennis tournament that even non tennis followers know

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #52
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

There are a lot of negatives to the Australian Open. First, its very difficult to get to for just about everybody. The tournament is held right in the middle of the NFL playoffs, which in the USA is the dead zone for anything sports related outside of football.
I was thinking about that the other day. At them moment, it falls on the week when theres no games, so it doesnt really matter. They dont really share the same fans anyway. The typical NFL fan would not watch a match between some Europeans whose names they cant pronounce. Even if Redfool is there.
Melange is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #53
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This, don't want to go into it again either. Can agree with Wimbledon, personally i like the 2 HC slams the best.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #54
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melange View Post
I was thinking about that the other day. At them moment, it falls on the week when theres no games, so it doesnt really matter. They dont really share the same fans anyway. The typical NFL fan would not watch a match between some Europeans whose names they cant pronounce. Even if Redfool is there.

Good point.

I would have to check, but I am not sure the Finals falls on the week before the Super Bowl every year. (although I could be wrong about that)

But where the WTA gets hurt is with ESPN. ESPN is practically the NFL sports channel. During this month, almost all of their resources are devoted to football. ESPN loves to promote sports they have a TV contract with. Therefore having the first major right in the middle of the NFL playoffs costs the WTA promotion it would receive if the tournament were held another time.

You are right about a typical NFL fan not caring about a match that doesn't involve the name Williams. But I think that goes for everyone in the USA. (Market and TV ratings support this.) The TV ratings for this years final are not going to be good. When Serena got knocked out early, there is no doubt, ESPN was not happy.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #55
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Wimbledon is so unique that people still knows it no matter what, it's the only tennis tournament that even non tennis followers know
This! That is really what sets Wimbledon apart, it's known well beyond the boundaries of the sport... no other tennis tournament is.

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #56
country flag T-rex

Quote:
This! That is really what sets Wimbledon apart, it's known well beyond the boundaries of the sport... no other tennis tournament is.

I would agree that as a Tennis fan, Wimbledon is the best and most important tournament of the year.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #57
country flag Sergius

Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
For the rest of the world, RG is so unknown. Wimbledon is so unique that people still knows it no matter what, it's the only tennis tournament that even non tennis followers know
This is simply not true
Sergius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #58
country flag Phil=)

Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future Phil=) has a brilliant future

AO (!!!)
Wimbledon
USO
FO

My ranking
SF: Doubles Sunderland
Singles: 98// Doubles: 59 (partnering: flareon)
Titles overall(ITF): Singles: 1 (1), Doubles: 12 (5)
Phil=) is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #59
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
This is simply not true
Well that's based on my own observation from my circle of friends and the people I know and I have lived in 6 different countries, but yeah I might be wrong

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #60
carling

carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute carling has a reputation beyond repute

This forum is littered with stupid ass threads. Here's one more! The Aussie and US Opens are actually my two faves of the four slams.
carling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote