How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam" - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #16
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

1)Wimbledon
2)US Open
3)French Open
4)Australian Open

This year AO was on a decline , not enough really good matches and intrigue . Without Nadal ATP tour is not as entertaining as it used to be , and after Serena got injured women's part was like Tier 1-2 tournament.

WTA Championships 2004
London Olympics silver medallist

33 WTA titles , including 13 Tier I titles
21 weeks #1 player
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
country flag heavyhorse

heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute heavyhorse has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
I don't think so. The crowd is the best in the world and the players seem to like the AO the best out of the four slams.
The crowd at the AO can be so retarded sometimes though.
heavyhorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #18
country flag Doully

Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute Doully has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bored of the constant undermining of the AO (and RG on occasions). They are what they are.
Doully is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #19
country flag eck
Esmerelda

eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute eck has a reputation beyond repute

For a MM slam, they offer the largest pot of prize money and the tournament director is actually well loved amongst the players. It's the one slam that actually tries to accommodate the players to fit their needs.

Best match this year? Easily Wawrinka and Djokovic on the men's, the women's...well..Hampton and Azarenka had the potential

It's regarded as the "fun" slam by many people.

Last edited by eck : Jan 27th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.
eck is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #20
country flag leftyness

leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of leftyness has much to be proud of

"MM" Slam? Jeez, that's new to me.

For the fact alone that the AO was by two decades the first slam to have a center court with a roof makes it great imo. 11 hour time difference aside, AO=super for me.
leftyness is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #21
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

IT'S THE BEST!!!

*apart from this year's*

Maria Sharapova
Vania King|Zarina Diyas
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #22
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Not the grounds, but the tournament itself. Since when was AO considered a slam? Wasn't it sometime in the 80's? Historical, because of the historical figures who took part in the event. I don't remember the likes of Lenglen, Borg, Perry et al. caring to win this tournament during their times.

In all seriousness, Australia and other slams only gained their "slam" status in 1933.

Since then, the competition level at this slam has been weak with the exception of the 1960s and early 70s and from 1988 to now.

60s and early 70s was strong because Margaret Court was the dominant player of that time. Plus, Australia also had a lot of top female players during that time aside from Margaret.

1988 was a turning point for this tournament because it moved to a different location and different (unique) surface. All the top female players played in that 1988 tournament and it has continued until now with rare exceptions like injuries or careers winding down.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eck View Post
For a MM slam, they offer the largest pot of prize money and the tournament director is actually well loved amongst the players. It's the one slam that actually tries to accommodate the players to fit their needs.

It's regarded as the "fun" slam by many people.

"Wimbledon is the oldest Major, founded in 1877, followed by the US in 1881, the French in 1891, and the Australian in 1905"
Yup, the slams are regarded in prestige pretty much in order of age. I would agree it is the "fun" slam. It kick starts the tennis year, the players and fans alike love it. It has a great tennis tradition, some amazing champions and some amazing matches.

It isn't as "serious" as Wimbledon which marks the tipping point into the latter third of the tennis year and is traditionally dominated by the greatest of champions, but it is as well regarded in its own way. In other words: it is what it is.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #24
country flag Keegan

Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute Keegan has a reputation beyond repute

I like the AO and don't see it as a MM slam. Yeah, it doesn't have the same history as the other three, but it's got its own personality just like the other slams and that's what I like about it.
Wimbledon 2004
US Open 2006
Olympic Silver
Victoria Azarenka | Petra Kvitova | Angelique Kerber | Caroline Wozniacki | Serena Williams | Heather Watson | Eugenie Bouchard

Last edited by Keegan : Jan 27th, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Keegan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #25
country flag Chaosm21

Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of Chaosm21 has much to be proud of
Crowd is (mostly) great at the AO, that's why I hate Paris. My ranking is

AO
Wimbledon
USO
FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomplayer89 View Post
She's been a top 10 player for 2 years now. We're way past the "beginning". She's never going to be inside the top 5. Getting to #5 was as close as she'll ever get.
Chaosm21 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #26
country flag Banditoo

Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute Banditoo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Thankfully, no one cares what you think. Who calls it an MM Slam, except for people who don't know/appreciate tennis, like you?
I can't understand how could mod have such behavior...
I think everyone in sport can be inspired by what Venus has done and how she's come back and winning championships and just doing so well. So I have been utterly completely inspired by that. I just have no words for it. There is no greater champion in my eyes.
Banditoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #27
country flag 5tephane

5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice 5tephane is just really nice

What does MM mean ?
5tephane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #28
country flag Belmont Lad

Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a great tournament all in all there's no denying that but there's just something lacking about it which I couldn't feel in Roland Garros, SW1 or in Flushing Meadows. Maybe its historical background and all those things but, I will never truly view it the same as with the three. The vibe I get is the same as in Miami. I'm not surprised some elitists refer to it as a MM slam.
Belmont Lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #29
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great tournament. Great crowds, great facilities.

But shame that Australian tennis is in the condition it is, forcing the home crowd to cheer for imported players like Gajdosova or Rodionova instead of a home-grown talent. But maybe Sam Stosur will surprise us next year and wins the whole thing?
Petronius is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #30
country flag LCS

LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not the grounds, but the tournament itself. Since when was AO considered a slam? Wasn't it sometime in the 80's? Historical, because of the historical figures who took part in the event. I don't remember the likes of Lenglen, Borg, Perry et al. caring to win this tournament during their times.
Because it was so easy to go all the way to Australia back in the day...:rolleye:

Hater.
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote