How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam" - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #166
country flag SunshineSlam

SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of SunshineSlam has much to be proud of
Re: How is the Australian Open viewed as a "grand slam"

All the slams are important/prestigious today, even if that wasn't the case before.

But I admit that reminding everyone that Margaret C*** and Fraudre Drugassi are past champions and having them present the trophies at the finals would make any event feel a lot less prestigious.
SunshineSlam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #167
country flag Dund

Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
Good call. The AO needs to be moved. The WTA schedule needs to be revamped. There needs to be a longer off season. I think this would help limit injuries. And if the AO was moved up, even just a month... I think we would have a better tournament.
Nope. End of January is great, because it's school holidays still. Move it forward a month and you won't get the same attendance.
Dund is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #168
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloque View Post
And yet the US can't be compared with European countries that are much smaller. In terms of area and population, the USA can only be compared to Europe as a whole, and Europe is more important for tennis than the US.

That's just not true.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #169
country flag Dund

Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice Dund is just really nice

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

Last year the French Open did a 1.4 TV rating.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...l-Ratings.aspx

The US Open did a 3.4 TV rating

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/20...sept-9-10.html

I have plenty more info stored on my computer. It only took additional time because I had to set up the links to the info which I generally don't keep.

What this shows is that in the most important market (based on country) for the WTA and the market that generates the most revenue, the French Open doesn't come close to the US Open. And the French Open last year had Sharapova in the final, who is supposedly a top draw on the tour. Last year among majors, only the Australian open did worse. It received a 0.4 TV rating, which actually isn't bad given that it comes on at 3:30 in the morning!

Again to differentiate between two arguments. Its okay to like the FO. Its okay to love the FO. I love the FO. As a tennis fan I am going to watch as much of it as I possibly can. But that is very different from boasting about how fantastically popular it is just because we like it. And our circle of friends like it. The world is a big place. Competition for entertainment dollars is fierce. And too often on this board, the numbers and what people think they know based on their own tastes.... just don't add up.

The TV numbers for this years Australian Open final aren't out yet. I hope they will be posted Monday.
The US may be the most important market, but it's not more important than the rest of the world combined. Which is how I'm taking your argument here if you are not going to take ratings from other countries into account. Obviously the US Open is going to draw the highest ratings in the US. Just like each of the other 3 GS will draw the highest ratings in it's own country. Not a determining factor of anything IMO.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #170
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
Because clearly you don't understand that the GS are special. The four of them aren't changing no matter how inconvenient the scheduling is for America. Real tennis fans love them all.

Please also provide links to what is informing you on the topic of AO being broke and not making any money?

Wow!

Nobody said the AO is broke and doesn't make money. The thread topic is how the AO compares to the other slams. In that regard the AO is one of the lesser majors. Nobody in this entire thread has suggested the AO doesn't make money! Unreal!

Secondly, the issue with the AO open isn't just an American problem. Its a worldwide problem. If you actually read what I wrote instead of posting emotional knee-jerk reactions you would know that I recommended moving the AO to China!

There is nothing wrong with the WTA wanting to be global. That is an excellent decision. The problem is if you look at this issue from purely an economic and population standpoint, the AO is global in the wrong part of the world.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #171
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material World View Post
And yet the world changes. New power bases emerge and the sport has to engage and build popularity for its long term good. It is ludicrous to think that things will never change.

Of the existing slams the Australian and French are more vulnerable to any programme of change. But I would hate to see either lose its place.

I can see a time when one of the slams rotates around venues. It may be one or more of the existing ones or it may be a fifth slam. That would give the opportunity for great tennis nations like Russia, Germany, Spain, China or Japan to play host to the best too.

Exactly!

Excellent post.

You have to be mobile. You have to be aware of what is going on today! And prepare for what will happen tomorrow. There is a reason why dinosaurs are extinct.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #172
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
The U.S. is the most important market for most things for a couple reasons.

1) Americans overspend

2) and most importantly. American's control 32% of the world's wealth.

To put that in perspective for you. China has over a billion people. or 4 times as many people as the U.S. does and they only control a third of the world's wealth. You're delusional if you dont think the U.S. market is the most important market in the world right now. That could change, but at the moment it isnt. Yes, you compare the U.S. market to all of Europe; however, its not the same comparison. Sure, Italy/ England/ France places of wealth, but there are also the poor eastern european areas.

Again you're showing you arent of a business mind. The point isnt about the popularity of the sport, who plays where yadda yadda yadda. The point is what can move the dollar or Yen, or whatever currency you're using. Why do Tv ratings matter? for sponsors to sell whatever they're trying to sell. Have you seen the Venus and Serena Apple commercial. Apple has absolutely nothing to do with tennis, but that didnt stop them from signing the girls up to endorse them. Why? because Venus and Serena are big names and when people see their face they stop and watch for a second. If you think the AO being held at 3 in the morning U.S. time and 7 in the morning UK time you're fooling yourself. Regardless of how much outsourcing increasing, business still want to SELL in the U.S.

Heres a map to give you an idea why the US is the most important market. and why the AO is appalling if you add the U.S. and European markets you're practically over 50% on the world's wealth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wdpiechartppp2000.gif

The timing of the other slams is great. they have great marketing for Wimbledon "breakfast at Wimbledon"

Excellent post.

Thank you for the sanity. For a while I honestly thought I was the only poster in this thread who understands simple math. For a message board that prides itself on an international following, the lack of world knowledge here is stunning.

I don't understand why this very simply concept is so hard for many people to understand?
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #173
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
Also, wasnt my argument and I totally agree. If I lived in Australia the US Open would probably be my least fav as well. As I pointed out i dislike the AO simply because it comes on during the middle of the night so I can see why you'd feel that way as well.

However; I was just reiterating that the U.S. market is the most important because of the World's wealth factor. As someone else said if any major were to be moved it'd be the Aussie open for the simple fact that they alienate the two biggest markets. to put it in perspective.

U.S. wealth =32% of world

Aussie wealth = 1.04%

U.k. = 5.59%

France = 4.07%

All of Europe = 29.19%

Australia is losing potential in both Europe and America which means they risk losing 61% of the world during their broadcast.
To add to this excellent post, I would also point out that the best growth potential for the WTA is in Asia, specifically China. And the AO doesn't exactly work for that market either.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #174
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post

It is more likely that the US will lose its major than the Australian Open will move out of the Asia-Pacific region. That is to say, laughably improbable.

That potentially could be the most ridiculous thought ever expressed on this message board.

I apologize for being harsh. But I am simply dumbfounded at the lack of world knowledge expressed within this thread. I simply do not know how else to respond. WTA execs would have a heart attack, if you told them they no longer have a US open.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #175
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendestiny View Post
Another thing that makes me question AO's slam status is the thought that it could be moved to China or somewhere in the middle east. I mean, it's a far fetched idea but I read of the possibility some years ago. The mere thought that it could be transplanted somewhere says a lot about it. Majority of players enjoy the tournament and I can understand them. However, I rarely (almost never) hear important players claiming it is their dream to hold the Australian Open trophy. You can say all the shit about Roland Garros but you can not get rid of the fact that it is (especially in the men's tour) almost at par with Wimbledon in terms of prestige and importance. Im sure players prefer to have their trophy picture taken with the back drop of Eiffel or Arc de Triomphe rather than some random park in Melbourne.

Technically, both China and the Middle East are better options. This isn't a USA issue.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #176
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can see happening is turning Beijing into a 5th Slam replacing the YEC. I think if the Chinese had played this smart, they would have build their three main courts with roofs initially. They have the cash and ambition to eventually build the expensive facilities for an all indoors Slams. A 5th Slam Indoors would be an easier sell than another hardcourt Slam in November with possibly bad weather and air.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #177
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you actually read what I wrote instead of posting emotional knee-jerk reactions you would know that I recommended moving the AO to China!
And can you please explain how you think that is going to increase the economic value of the tournament?

It's not going to improve the value of the TV rights, because the timezone is virtually the same. And if you think it's going to improve attendances, then you might want to check out how many people attend the Shanghai Masters.

Quote:
That potentially could be the most ridiculous thought ever expressed on this message board.

I apologize for being harsh. But I am simply dumbfounded at the lack of world knowledge expressed within this thread. I simply do not know how else to respond. WTA execs would have a heart attack, if you told them they no longer have a US open.

Last edited by miffedmax : Jan 29th, 2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: insult
Caesar1844 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #178
country flag T-rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by renstar View Post
You know what, to some loud mouthed over opinionated Americans a big reality check maybe that there is a huge world out there that exists out of the US. Take a different perspective, YOUR tournaments are a long way away from us in the Asia Pacific region and the times are inconvenient for us.

The US gets the vast majority of big and smaller tournaments throughout the year whereas we get the AO plus some smaller tournaments over January and nothing else. If your so arrogant and greedy and egocentric to want the AO to go to your side of the world again then I feel sorry for your point of view.

If you want to talk numbers, well then if Tennis takes off in China in umbers then im sure some of their cities would have higher populations than many of your states so who cares. You also should do your homework and actually look up figures before you sprout your mouth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

NY 8 million, LA 4 million! Well short of 23 million

While yours and Europes economy flounders ours powers along under a mining boom and we offer record prizemoney and attract record crowds and always get the most positive reviews from players and fans .

We have fantastic facilities soon including 3 roof stadiums.

As far as tennis history goes we have a legacy of all time champions more so than England and France.

You and the green thing can suck lemons the AO is here to stay.

I am almost speechless. I'l admit it. I am on the verge of giving up.

Okay, this is how city populations work.

There are two numbers.

FIrst there is the city population number- The city population number is based only on residents who live in the core city limits only. (downtown for example.)

The second number is called the metropolitan statistical area or MSA- The MSA is the population of all residents who live within about a 60 mile radius of a given city. When estimating population centers, this is the number that is used. Not the core number or people who only live downtown within the city limits.

Australia has roughly 23 million people in its entire country. The New York City MSA has about 23 million people. This means that roughly the same amount of people live within 60 miles of the New York City as they do in the entire country of Australia.

This means if I had a major and simply called it "The New York City Grand Slam." Based on population, the host city of New York would be equal in population to the entire country of Australia. And based on money, sponsorship and promotion, it would likely exceed the entire country of Australia.

Of course in that NY is in the USA. You can naturally pull in other areas outside of the NY MSA. Washington DC, Boston MA, and Philadelphia PA are also major MSA's (within a days drive) with wealth that far exceeds world averages. This is why it so lucrative and important.

I dearly hope you now understand. And please, read wikipedia a little more carefully before posting next time, okay?.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #179
country flag Dund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar1844 View Post
Melbourne is a horrible city, but at least it's not full of Frenchmen.
Not sure if that is a serious comment or you just had a bad experience. There is a reason Melbourne has been named the most livable city in the world previously and is consistently in the top handful each year. It's easily the best city to live in Australia (one or two other places make better holiday destinations I will admit), and it's a far far better place to live than a lot of the more well known cities around the world.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #180
country flag Maria4Ever

Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all Maria4Ever is a name known to all

No slam with a LAST SET TIE BREAK...is any good, end of story. That is typical Americanisation, and it is the one tournament that I hate. Can you imagine a really great match being settled by a silly tie break in a final. It is a disgrace and it is why the worst slam is the US Open. Still think Wimbledon/FO are 1 and 2 (and each person is different as to where you rank these), AO is no3 but is the most innovative for players. The US Open is shocking but is commercially important, it sits as no4 though.
Ana Ivanovic

Still miss My best player Elena Dementieva
Maria4Ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote