The media coverage of fan bias gives me even more respect for Serena - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #31
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The media coverage of fan bias gives me even more respect for Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
In fact, crowds are routinely against Serena far worse than what Vika faced today, and nobody even thinks about it. The TV coverage rarely mentions it. Its a non-story.[/b]
You realize there is a reason for that right? Serena doesn't have a zillion haters for nothing.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #32
country flag Lilowannabe

Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold Lilowannabe is a splendid one to behold

This guy ^ poor thing

big support for... Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova, Ana Ivanovic, Vika Azarenka
Lilowannabe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #33
country flag T-rex

T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute T-rex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
You realize there is a reason for that right? Serena doesn't have a zillion haters for nothing.

First, Yes. I am aware that there are a lot of reasons why the crowd is almost always against Serena. Sadly, very few of them have to do with actual tennis.

Secondly, I would like to get back to my original point in stating that the media's (ESPN) downright obsession with the crowd today really seemed strange, given that Serena routinely sees crowds similar or worse, and it warrants no TV airtime.
T-rex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #34
country flag ZeroSumGame

ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future ZeroSumGame has a brilliant future

Quote:
First to your most important point. I have written about this at length on this board. There are 2 different audiences.

There is:

#1 the general sports audience. And #2 the hardcore WTA audience.

The hardcore WTA audience is the group most likely to purchase tickets to events, take part in message board discussions, follow the players around.... etc, etc.

The general sports audience is made up of casual fans. These are people who will watch the big tournaments and most likely only know of a few players.

To the general sports audience, Serena is a major star. She has a tremendous following and a very high Q-rating. This is why when she plays, her matches draw the highest TV ratings. This is why she is the most important star to the WTA. And she is the highest revenue generator for her sport. This group represents a large, broad spectrum of fans. These are the fans that give her high approval ratings when sports surveys are done like the one you cited in your post.

The hardcore WTA audience is very different. There is far more disdain for her. Among some hardcore WTA fans, Serena is not nearly as popular as she is with the general population. There is a great deal of bias. Of course, hardcore WTA fans are far more likely to purchase tickets, thus Serena support dwindles considerably during a match compared to what it is in the general population.

This is why for instance, when Serena is playing the US Open, her matches by far draw the largest TV audiences. But at the exact same time the crowd in the stands is largely against her.

This is a fascinating social quandry that has issues of gender, race, nationality, beauty etc. all rolled into one. There is perhaps no athlete on earth among the major sports that has a greater discrepancy between what hardcore fans think of them and the general population at large.

Example: If I posted on this message board that Serena is the GOAT. A flame war ensues. If go down to my local mall and state Serena is the GOAT, there are no arguments. Almost everyone would rightly overwhelmingly agree. Even many TV journalists and tennis sports historians largely agree with this. But there is still push-back from the hardcore base. Why Serena historically has such a difficult time with the hardcore WTA fans is an amazing dynamic.

There is not a big difference of fan support between the general population and the hardcore ATP fans when it comes to Roger Federer.

I remember being on this board last summer and there was a prominent poster here that actually argued endlessly that Caroline Wozniaki was a bigger draw and more important to the WTA than Serena Williams. I couldn't believe it! It is downright baffling trying to understand the views of some hardcore WTA fans, compared to the world in general. They truly do live in a different reality.

As for your other point. You are just wrong. Nowhere in this thread did I say the media was inciting hatred against the WS. I have no idea where that entire thought process came from.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, I apologize for any misunderstanding in relation to the media & the WS

Power and speed, offense and defense, in equal measures: This is what the Williams sisters brought to women’s tennis, and what, nearly 15 years later, still NO WOMAN has matched. It's quite remarkable. Serena in particular draws disdain coz she wins all the time at any cost, takng no prisoners, she is such a powerful athlete and that's what makes her so unique. She is definitely the best player we've seen in the last 20 or 30 years. YOU DONT EXPECT VIKA, SHARAPOVA, LI NA, PETRA, ANA ETC Stans to appreciate the perennial arse whoopings Serena delivers to their favs ...so why are you surprised that Serena actually draws hatred from these hardcore WTA fans? Serena doesn't care, she once stated : "I don't hear what people say, and quite frankly I don't really care. Everyone's allowed to think what they want, to say what they want. Ultimately, I'm the one out there and I make my own destiny."

...You can never please everyone in this world, it's better to take care of biz on one's side of the bargain, that's what Richard taught his girls
ZeroSumGame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #35
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Secondly, I would like to get back to my original point in stating that the media's (ESPN) downright obsession with the crowd today really seemed strange, given that Serena routinely sees crowds similar or worse, and it warrants no TV airtime.
I dunno, maybe they're just not surprised at the animosity towards her from the crowd
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote