Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce? - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM   #106
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChokes View Post
Heather WATSON.

No matter how many times I try, her same always comes out sounding like ROBSON.

Too confusing having so many good players in this country these days.
Do you work for a British newspaper?
Advertisement

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 05:04 PM   #107
country flag Marlene

Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute Marlene has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH both wings View Post
As mentioned before, the mainland (Mandarin) rendering of that name would be Xie Shu-wei (pinyin) as opposed to Hsieh Su-wei (Wade/Giles). "Xie" is pronounced differently in different Mandarin dialects, but a little bit like "s(h)jeh". The initial consonant is a voiceless alveolo-palatal sibilant that doesn't exist in many languages (like English, Modern Hebrew or Eastern Arabic, but it exists in some Scandinavian languages (Dutch, Danish, Swedish - "sj")).

However, as Hsieh is not from the northern mainland, all that doesn't matter. In taiwanese Mandarin, the diphthong "Hsieh"/"Xie" is inverted in a way, not "i-eh", but "eh-(y)" and the "Hs" is often pronounced a little bit more "juicy". So basically: "shay" (with a tendency to "sheh").
Additionally, "shu" (northern mainland Mandarin) is pronounced and transcripted "su", like in southern mainland Mandarin.

If you pronounce her name "Shay Soo-way", you are pretty safe. Bonus points for correct tones, of course.
Is Hsieh/Xie related to the word "xie" meaning "thanks"?
Marlene is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 06:42 PM   #108
country flag Trigo

Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan_S View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I was pretty sure that 'vahz' is the way they pronounce it in (most of) UK, at least they taught us, but I only suspected that it differs in America. Indeed, it was the British pronunciation I had in mind.
Being european, you were taught the british way.
But here in South America, they teach us the american way of life!

And that's why it's so tricky to write about pronunciation.
Even using exemples of a language we all know, many things can get lost "in translation"...
Trigo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #109
country flag égalité

égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute égalité has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan_S View Post
Your confusion is completely understandable, because--without any warning--you hear some of the names pretty close to how they should sound, and some of them always mispronounced: Sharapova is the best example here, the incorrect english pronunciation is more-or-less the only one used outside of central and eastern Europe.

It is true that the rules on where the emphasis should be, differ among slavic languages. In Bulgarian and Russian, it can be (in principle) almost anywhere. In Czech and Slovak, the emphasis is marginal and (almost) always on the first syllable.

HOWEVER!: There is one common rule which anybody can follow without making a mistake. The -ova suffix is NEVER pronounced as it would be in English. The single vowels correspond to constant sounds, and 'o' should never be pronounced as in 'cope' or 'over', but always as in 'slot'. The 'a' at the very end can be short (russian, bulgarian names; like in 'stunt') or long (czech, slovak; like in 'vase').
What about Petrova, Kuznetsova?
Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 09:26 PM   #110
country flag pla

pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonella View Post
A good general rule with East Slavic languages(Russian, Bulgarian,etc.) is to place the accent on the second syllable, although Russian accents are all over the place, and long names put accents towards the middle.
Bulgarian is not an Eastern Slavic language, but Southern. Bulgarian and Russian have floating accent, so no general rules, you will only lead them to errors.
pla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM   #111
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pla View Post
Bulgarian is not an Eastern Slavic language, but Southern. Bulgarian and Russian have floating accent, so no general rules, you will only lead them to errors.
Well, my mother who was born and raised in Varna, says it's Eastern. But then again, she thinks BG people are part-Chinese.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #112
country flag pla

pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute pla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonella View Post
Well, my mother who was born and raised in Varna, says it's Eastern. But then again, she thinks BG people are part-Chinese.
Your mother won't redefine the classification of languages . Bulgarian is Southern, Russian is Eastern. She, coming from Varna though, speaks an Eastern Bulgarian dialect.
pla is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM   #113
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Li Na
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #114
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Noppawan Lertcheewakarn
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #115
country flag Alan1991

Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice Alan1991 is just really nice

Julia Goerges, but only because I hear commentators use about three different pronunciations for her name and I don't know which one is correct
Alan1991 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #116
country flag Just Do It

Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute Just Do It has a reputation beyond repute

Kontaveit for me, no idea how to pronounce it.
Just Do It is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM   #117
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1991 View Post
Julia Goerges, but only because I hear commentators use about three different pronunciations for her name and I don't know which one is correct
Julia should be simple: Yulia. Goerges is easy too: both "g" are hard (as in English get), and German "örg" is basically "erg" in English (like the pronounciation of English "Berg" (NOT American English, of course)). Her own dialect sounds like a North German dialect, so don't speak the "r", just modify/drag the vowel like many British dialects do.

Yulia Gergus.
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #118
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future BH both wings has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
Is Hsieh/Xie related to the word "xie" meaning "thanks"?
Well, there are hundreds of signs transcribed as "xie". However, by pure chance, the family name "Xie"/"Hsieh" and the word particle "xie" (as in "xie xie", "bu yong xie" ...) are the same sign: 謝
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #119
country flag ivanban

ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute ivanban has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It View Post
Kontaveit for me, no idea how to pronounce it.
Exactly as you would read it in Serbian
ivanban is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:02 AM   #120
country flag RBBoT

RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice RBBoT is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChokes View Post
Heather WATSON.

No matter how many times I try, her same always comes out sounding like ROBSON.

Too confusing having so many good players in this country these days.
Surely you mean Robinson.
RBBoT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote