Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #91
country flag Juju Nostalgique
Rest in peace Bally

Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute Juju Nostalgique has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut91 View Post
Yes, but the surname Puig is not of castilian origin, it is catalan, so the correct pronunciation would be the catalan one --> "Pooch", not the spanish one he's using. Doesn't matter though, I bet everyone calls her Pooig.
That's what I was trying to explain!

I know Pooig/Pweek must be the common way to pronounce it in America but it would be interesting how the family actually pronounces it. They probably say Pweek though... (as long as it's not Pweeook... )
Jamie Hampton & Danka Kovinić & Sam Crawford & SaiSai Zheng & Tita Tower Flower

Last edited by Juju Nostalgique : Jan 28th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.
Juju Nostalgique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #92
country flag Jan_S

Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold
Re: Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
What always confuses me is where to put the emphasis with -ova names. Sometimes you emphasis the OVA, sometimes not. Does anyone know why this is?
Your confusion is completely understandable, because--without any warning--you hear some of the names pretty close to how they should sound, and some of them always mispronounced: Sharapova is the best example here, the incorrect english pronunciation is more-or-less the only one used outside of central and eastern Europe.

It is true that the rules on where the emphasis should be, differ among slavic languages. In Bulgarian and Russian, it can be (in principle) almost anywhere. In Czech and Slovak, the emphasis is marginal and (almost) always on the first syllable.

HOWEVER!: There is one common rule which anybody can follow without making a mistake. The -ova suffix is NEVER pronounced as it would be in English. The single vowels correspond to constant sounds, and 'o' should never be pronounced as in 'cope' or 'over', but always as in 'slot'. The 'a' at the very end can be short (russian, bulgarian names; like in 'stunt') or long (czech, slovak; like in 'vase').
Jan_S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #93
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LefandePatty View Post

Lina Krasnoroutskaya?
Without the severely career-limiting injuries, Baby Blue Eyes would be much better known.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #94
country flag Trigo

Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all Trigo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan_S View Post
Your confusion is completely understandable, because--without any warning--you hear some of the names pretty close to how they should sound, and some of them always mispronounced: Sharapova is the best example here, the incorrect english pronunciation is more-or-less the only one used outside of central and eastern Europe.

It is true that the rules on where the emphasis should be, differ among slavic languages. In Bulgarian and Russian, it can be (in principle) almost anywhere. In Czech and Slovak, the emphasis is marginal and (almost) always on the first syllable.

HOWEVER!: There is one common rule which anybody can follow without making a mistake. The -ova suffix is NEVER pronounced as it would be in English. The single vowels correspond to constant sounds, and 'o' should never be pronounced as in 'cope' or 'over', but always as in 'slot'. The 'a' at the very end can be short (russian, bulgarian names; like in 'stunt') or long (czech, slovak; like in 'vase').
Really really love posts like this one!

The only thing I would say is that your last example was a little bit misleading.
Most people pronounce VASE as "veys/vays"... And I think you're going with "vahz".
Took me a while to fully understand what you were saying...
(Said to myself: Kvee-to-vay... and realised something was quite wrong)
Trigo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #95
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
What always confuses me is where to put the emphasis with -ova names. Sometimes you emphasis the OVA, sometimes not. Does anyone know why this is?
A good general rule with East Slavic languages(Russian, Bulgarian,etc.) is to place the accent on the second syllable, although Russian accents are all over the place, and long names put accents towards the middle.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #96
country flag Craig.
MA5HA

Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute Craig. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
I think we should ask Cynthia Zimmerman.

I will never get over "Danielle Antoxfa"
Craig. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #97
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LefandePatty View Post
Lina Krasnoroutskaya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
Without the severely career-limiting injuries, Baby Blue Eyes would be much better known.
I'm not sure she had quite the physique required for a long-term tennis career. She always struck me as pretty unathletic. A BH as beautiful as she was, though.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM   #98
country flag Jan_S

Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold Jan_S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigo View Post
Really really love posts like this one!

The only thing I would say is that your last example was a little bit misleading.
Most people pronounce VASE as "veys/vays"... And I think you're going with "vahz".
Took me a while to fully understand what you were saying...
(Said to myself: Kvee-to-vay... and realised something was quite wrong)
Thanks for pointing that out. I was pretty sure that 'vahz' is the way they pronounce it in (most of) UK, at least they taught us, but I only suspected that it differs in America. Indeed, it was the British pronunciation I had in mind.
Jan_S is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:43 AM   #99
country flag NoChokes

NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of NoChokes has much to be proud of

Heather WATSON.

No matter how many times I try, her same always comes out sounding like ROBSON.

Too confusing having so many good players in this country these days.

KOB
NoChokes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM   #100
country flag BH both wings

BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of BH both wings has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Su-Wei Hsieh. No idea how to pronounce this.
As mentioned before, the mainland (Mandarin) rendering of that name would be Xie Shu-wei (pinyin) as opposed to Hsieh Su-wei (Wade/Giles). "Xie" is pronounced differently in different Mandarin dialects, but a little bit like "s(h)jeh". The initial consonant is a voiceless alveolo-palatal sibilant that doesn't exist in many languages (like English, Modern Hebrew or Eastern Arabic, but it exists in some Scandinavian languages (Dutch, Danish, Swedish - "sj")).

However, as Hsieh is not from the northern mainland, all that doesn't matter. In taiwanese Mandarin, the diphthong "Hsieh"/"Xie" is inverted in a way, not "i-eh", but "eh-(y)" and the "Hs" is often pronounced a little bit more "juicy". So basically: "shay" (with a tendency to "sheh").
Additionally, "shu" (northern mainland Mandarin) is pronounced and transcripted "su", like in southern mainland Mandarin.

If you pronounce her name "Shay Soo-way", you are pretty safe. Bonus points for correct tones, of course.
BH both wings is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:50 AM   #101
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of

Yes Jan is right, it's vahz in the uk.

The more you hear a name, the easier it becomes, at least if the commentators get it approximately right. So it's lesser-known players that I would stutterova.
pesto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:10 PM   #102
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of

Also, when you see names written in English, they very often leave out the accents, umlauts etc.

So even if you have a reasonable idea how to pronounce an unfamiliar name in a given language, you can be screwed by that. It was years before I realised that Robin Söderling had an umlaut, which changed my pronunciation.
pesto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #103
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

names like kurdriyetsova, urszula, sharapova etc.....

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 02:17 PM   #104
country flag lenas warriors

lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute lenas warriors has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Su-Wei Hsieh. No idea how to pronounce this.
This. Shoo-Show-Shay is how the commentators seems to say it
Amaze-arenka, Kvitty-GOAT and Halep
Hantuchova, Petrova, Zvonareva, Goerges, Koukalova, The Other Czechs, Halep, Keys, Townsend, Paszek
Li, Sharapova, Pavlyuchenkova, Makarova, The Other Russians, Kerber, Kanepi, Shvedova, Martic, Watson, Robson, Kimiko, Barthel, Erakovic
lenas warriors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #105
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

imagine if serena played indian wells all these years. she won it twice already (nobody won it 3 times so far). meh
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote