Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce? - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #76
country flag Coconut91

Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of Coconut91 has much to be proud of
Re: Which player's name is toughest for you to pronounce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
I was waiting for this one since her name was brought up several times before. I also think most people here don't even know they make a pronouncing mistake especially that ES crew has never called her right during all those years

btw, Puig's name is pronounced here at the start and it's obviously given as "Pooig" like I suspected unless my ears defy me. And the guy is definitely a native speaker

Yes, but the surname Puig is not of castilian origin, it is catalan, so the correct pronunciation would be the catalan one --> "Pooch", not the spanish one he's using. Doesn't matter though, I bet everyone calls her Pooig.
Coconut91 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #77
country flag ptitnavet

ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future ptitnavet has a brilliant future

Golovin was so uncorrectly pronounce by some English-speaking commentators
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #78
country flag AnnieIWillKnow

AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute AnnieIWillKnow has a reputation beyond repute

What always confuses me is where to put the emphasis with -ova names. Sometimes you emphasis the OVA, sometimes not. Does anyone know why this is?

Maria Sharapova: Always on Your Mind
AnnieIWillKnow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #79
country flag Jerem
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future Jerem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by goOudinUSA View Post
Karolina WLODARCZAK
Barbara SOBASZKIEWICZ
You should say:
- "Karolina Voo-o-darchak" for the first (no emphasis at the begenning, and rolling the 'R' of course)
- "Barbara Sobashkee-evich" for the second (don't know how to transcribe in English the middle 'kie' in this name, it's like a "kee-ay" but rather quick, without emphasis on it). Basically, Polish "sz" and "cz" must be pronounced "sh" and "ch" respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine_Timea View Post
It's like Koo-uh. It's difficult to write it with English letter because neither of the sounds exist in that language...
Yes, that's true. This name is quite special as "oin" is a typical French sound... If you know how to say the number "1" in French, then you can imagine that "Coin" is something like "Koo-1" but quicker.
Jerem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #80
country flag Viennalover

Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of

the girl Hingis is coaching .... some Russians do have difficult name....
Viennalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #81
country flag Lin Lin

Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute Lin Lin has a reputation beyond repute

How about Sun Tiantian for you guys
豆豆
雪雪
Lin Lin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #82
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute
Lucie Safarova- I don't think I have ever said her name correctly lol.

Jovanovski-sounds easy enough but I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Hsieh, Su-Wei-
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #83
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

I think we should ask Cynthia Zimmerman.

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #84
country flag Mikey.
Set me free, leave me be.

Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute Mikey. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Lin View Post
How about Sun Tiantian for you guys
Easy.
Mikey. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #85
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Too many to say. I probably get most of them wrong. But Noppawan Lertcheewakarn is definitely right up there
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #86
LefandePatty

LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute LefandePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Lina Krasnoroutskaya?
LefandePatty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #87
country flag Sergius

Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute Sergius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieIWillKnow View Post
What always confuses me is where to put the emphasis with -ova names. Sometimes you emphasis the OVA, sometimes not. Does anyone know why this is?
There is no rule, the emphasis depends on the melodics of the name, I guess
Sergius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #88
country flag Marcjswp

Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light Marcjswp is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices View Post
Noppawan Lertcheewakarn
That ^
Marcjswp is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #89
country flag AYUMI-GOAT

AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute AYUMI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people are saying Lertcheewakarn and Wongteanchai, but really isn't it just Lert-chee-wa-karn and Wong-tean-chai?

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3
AYUMI-GOAT is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #90
country flag borck

borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold borck is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
I think we should ask Cynthia Zimmerman.

Daniela Anatoxfa is Daniela Hantuchova

FAN DE LA ARMADA FEMENINA ESPAÑOLA DE TENIS
borck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote