Victoria Azarenka is good for the WTA - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #151
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Victoria Azarenka is good for the WTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marineblue View Post
Now you are just making things up. I never read an interview with a player where they'd say anything of this kind. The only player I can think of who kind of had such attitude was Serena and even she did win numerous PM5 and premier events. As for Caro, she'd sell her soul for her BF, I guess, but not for a slam. There's hardly a player who would dismiss tour events and their victories because it was at non-slam stages. For instance, when Heather Watson won the smallest type of event of the tour, the international tournament, she made national news in UK. It's only in TFs imagination that such victory would not matter much or that Watson would not give it her best shot to win.
Really? ....... Really????? I guess you don't read too many interviews.

And stop already with this bullshit about players dismissing their regular tour victories. Nobody said anything of the kind, this is just you making a straw man to kick down. The point is not that other titles are not important, simply that slam victories are much more important. Ozza made the point perfectly when he said that, even though Serena was undoubtedly pleased with her Brisbane title, all in all she will be much less satisfied with her Aussie season than Vika is.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #152
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post

And stop already with this bullshit about players dismissing their regular tour victories. Nobody said anything of the kind, this is just you making a straw man to kick down. The point is not that other titles are not important, simply that slam victories are much more important. Ozza made the point perfectly when he said that, even though Serena was undoubtedly pleased with her Brisbane title, all in all she will be much less satisfied with her Aussie season than Vika is.
This. Also ozza and UNCLESILAS posts.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #153
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now you are just making things up. I never read an interview with a player where they'd say anything of this kind. The only player I can think of who kind of had such attitude was Serena and even she did win numerous PM5 and premier events. As for Caro, she'd sell her soul for her BF, I guess, but not for a slam. There's hardly a player who would dismiss tour events and their victories because it was at non-slam stages. For instance, when Heather Watson won the smallest type of event of the tour, the international tournament, she made national news in UK. It's only in TFs imagination that such victory would not matter much or that Watson would not give it her best shot to win.
Now your just trying to cover up with nonsense. Of course the UK press will go mad over Heather Watson winning a WTA event. No Brit had won a WTA event in 24 years. We have no slam contenders right now. Watson is at the beginning of her career building her experience on the tour. Is one of her realistic goals in 2013 to win a grand slam - of course not. This is just clouding the subject. The top players goals are a lot different to the players coming through.

And you are missing the point. It's not a matter of top players not caring about non-slam events. It's a matter of aiming to peak for certain events. No player plays at 100% of their level all year every year, it's not possible. Just like olympians aim to peak at the olympics. Using your logic, Usain Bolt not winning the Jamaican National Championships was as important as him winning at the Olympics.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #154
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
I see you are not winning many adepts. Both the last posters, Ozza and Stromatolite, explain it perfectly. Ok, so you have your faves and don´t like Vika, that´s all right; but never let your personal tastes make you biased in your opinions and lose your objectivity. Slams are the events that everybody is waiting for: players, press, sponsors.. When you say someone is one of the greatest ever, it is usually backed with the number of Slam titles won by that particular player. Another matter altogether, is that a Slam final may turn out to be of more or less quality. This is so obvious that is almost embarrasing to explain it. And another thing: one is never, never lucky when winning a GS, regardless of how much you like or dislike the player who wins it. As a tennis fan, you should know all this.
I don't care if you agree with me or not. I am entitled to my opinion,so your 'explanations' are what I don't agree with. As far as what everyone is waiting for, you don't know that. I don't just follow slams so I am waiting for any event where I see players I like to watch. Greatness is not defined by slams only,but by the entire career of a player. Some players who won slams therefore haven't received as much respect because people just see the entire picture.
At any tournament luck is also playing a role. So yes, it's possible to get lucky and go all the way at a slam just as it is elsewhere. When in a final a player is getting beaten and then their opponent gets injured and it affects their play it is simply luck. Be real.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #155
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post

You are the one who is coming up with bullshit here. Slam victories are great but not more important than other titles. Heck,even after winning a Hopman Cup AMG said she was as happy as if she won a slam,so it clearly meant a lot to her.
But I see that you will always go with your theory,well, your choice. Not everyone has to agree and no matter how much you are trying to patronise me I won't change my opinion.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #156
country flag Letigre

Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute Letigre has a reputation beyond repute

Had this feeling all along we were wasting our time (while being sooo embarrasing to watch) But that´s OK, no harm done.
Letigre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #157
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
Had this feeling all along we were wasting our time.
I concur. Marineblue, believe whatever you want to believe, it's all fine by me
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #158
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

Quote:
You are the one who is coming up with bullshit here. Slam victories are great but not more important than other titles. Heck,even after winning a Hopman Cup AMG said she was as happy as if she won a slam,so it clearly meant a lot to her.
But I see that you will always go with your theory,well, your choice. Not everyone has to agree and no matter how much you are trying to patronise me I won't change my opinion.
If slams are no more important than other titles then why do we have slams at all? They are called Grand Slams precisely because they are more prestigious than other titles. That's like saying a regular season NFL win is equivalent to winning the superbowl. Regular tournaments are still very important but the ultimate goal is the slams.
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #159
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't care if you agree with me or not. I am entitled to my opinion,so your 'explanations' are what I don't agree with. As far as what everyone is waiting for, you don't know that. I don't just follow slams so I am waiting for any event where I see players I like to watch. Greatness is not defined by slams only,but by the entire career of a player. Some players who won slams therefore haven't received as much respect because people just see the entire picture.
At any tournament luck is also playing a role. So yes, it's possible to get lucky and go all the way at a slam just as it is elsewhere. When in a final a player is getting beaten and then their opponent gets injured and it affects their play it is simply luck. Be real.
What about getting to the final? Was that all luck as well?

Also it's worth noting because it seems to be a forgotten point by some. Li was 1-3 in the 2nd set at the point she went over on her ankle. People act like Li was for sure going to win the match. The reality - she was the outsider to win the match at this point with bookmakers.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #160
country flag ozza

Quote:
Again you are just trying to cloud the argument. Of course Medina Garrigues is going to say that. She will know in her heart of hearts she has next to no chance of ever winning a grand slam. It's easy to say a throwaway statement like that if you have no chance of winning grand slams.

And you were right - people are entitled to their opinions. But "Slam victories are great but not more important than other titles." isn't an opinion. It's factually incorrect.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #161
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZVETI83 View Post
Your criticizing me and can't even write, this is a blog not english literature. Call me when you can read, speak and write in 6 other languages.
Girl, what's the point of being able to write all those languages if reading what you write is a fucking chore
The Witch-king is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote