Now I usually get sick of all the naysayers.. - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #31
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Now I usually get sick of all the naysayers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeloltilde View Post
I always enjoy the Slams in the beginning. I enjoy watching players who don't get a lot of air time. Then it starts fizzling once the top players start playing each other. I know that sounds odd because you'd think that the top players against each other would result in a great match, but in my opinion the top players produced some flop matches.

One of my most enjoyed matches this AO was Doi - Martic in Round 1.

Maybe it's just a personal preference nowadays. I'm personally tired of Pova/Azarenka or Aga/Azarenka or Kerber/anyone else
Same here, I stop watching after my faves go which usually is in the first week.
I enjoy underdogs' runs more than the usual match ups partly because I know what to expect and partly because I've no faves amongst the player who usually make it all the way to the final.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #32
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by currie84 View Post
Nadal has used 10 times more gamesmansip than Azarenka in his career.She cant help being born in an obscure eastern european country(the real reason most ppl hate her)
Sharapova and Kournikova were born in a country that many parts of the world have a prickly relationship with. Vika's place of birth has nothing to do with people disliking her.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #33
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
It was the worst Slam since the last one and it will be the worst one until the next one......that's usually how it goes around here.
This should be in the Rules of Tennisforum, if it isn't already.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #34
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

This is better than Wimbledon 2010. At least the final is more 50-50
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #35
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Thats the biggest deal for me. Azarenka really has to start putting the sport itself higher in her priorities, shes really not helping herself or the game with her attitude. And its blatently obvious that despite the tough 'I dont care' attitude she tries to put across she does care what people think about her. For all the crap people gave Wozniacki for her game at least she was a great #1 in terms of exposure for the WTA.

I dot get how her fans can be so happy and pretending theres nothing wrong after the absolutely hammering in the media she got from it. Whether her image is repaired is doubtful.
Women's tennis needs a #1 player who is both a great player and well liked. The only 2 players to have kept the #1 ranking for an extended period of time of recent years are Woz and Vika. You don't want press/public to question either the abilities of the #1 player (Woz) or the sportsmanship/attitude/personality of them (Vika).

It must be ridiculously hard to promote a game that people question the person sitting at the top of the pile of.

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #36
country flag Linguae^

Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future Linguae^ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
Sharapova and Kournikova were born in a country that many parts of the world have a prickly relationship with. Vika's place of birth has nothing to do with people disliking her.
It's actually more about what she had to go through to reach this, because Belarus is still one of the poorer and on the margin. I think that's why she's even more proud of herself and more emotional. When everyone's against her, she knows she can defy. You have to respect that, she wants to prove an ordinary girl from Belarus can achieve much, on world's basis.
Linguae^ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #37
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Women's tennis has shit quality slams tennis wise from time to time, that is something that is bound to happen (and happens with the men too) but the sad thing about this Oz open is I feel women's tennis is just losing the general public's respect.

No sport wants it's #1 to be hated and unpopular and neither do they want them to have a cloud of unsportsman-like behaviour above their head.

Women's tennis needs to do some serious PR work after this, a slam final finished in muted applause not great celebration is never good for the sport.
Kim played like shit (much worse than Vika in this slam)to win the AO not so long ago and it didn't kill the sport.
We had controversial #1 before (like Justine for her hand and her no mas act in the AO final, Serena for her outbursts/lack of commitments etc..., or even Dinara and Woz who were labeled "unable to win a match without their coach", "underserving #1" etc...).Yet it didn't kill the sport.

I think tennis will probably survive to Vika as well
homogenius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #38
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the biggest thing this slam is it lacked the marquee matchups that people wanted to see. This was because the other seeds fell by the wayside early though, and in no way can the blame for this be aimed in Vika's direction. Probably the closest thing you had to a marquee match up was Sharapova vs Venus (because for some reason people thought Venus was back?), but sadly that match turned out not so good.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #39
country flag sammy01

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post
Kim played like shit (much worse than Vika in this slam)to win the AO not so long ago and it didn't kill the sport.
We had controversial #1 before (like Justine for her hand and her no mas act in the AO final, Serena for her outbursts/lack of commitments etc..., or even Dinara and Woz who were labeled "unable to win a match without their coach", "underserving #1" etc...).Yet it didn't kill the sport.

Ok kim played a couple of dodgy matches in her oz open win, but she was flawless against Safina, hit 40+ winners past Aga and played 2 astute and smart matches against Vera and Li. In no way did Kim play worse than Vika to win their respective Oz opens. That is by the by though.

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #40
country flag aetherskyspace

aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice aetherskyspace is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenius View Post

He never said it would "kill the sport," just that it "wouldn't be good for the sport." Big difference there. You can have a pile of shit (literally) at #1 and it won't kill the sport.

Nice try at sensationalising though.
aetherskyspace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #41
country flag nevetssllim
Stanning for Andi

nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute nevetssllim has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of agree. There were fairly high expectations we were going to get a good women's tournament but none of the matches we anticipated when the draw came out materialised. A lot of the matches were okay-ish quality but I can't think of one I'd happily watch again.

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #42
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Women's tennis needs a #1 player who is both a great player and well liked. The only 2 players to have kept the #1 ranking for an extended period of time of recent years are Woz and Vika. You don't want press/public to question either the abilities of the #1 player (Woz) or the sportsmanship/attitude/personality of them (Vika).

It must be ridiculously hard to promote a game that people question the person sitting at the top of the pile of.
The women haven´t had this much attention since Serena tried to shove balls down throats. The real problem is that they have no good girl. Maria, Serena, Kerber, Bartoli and Wozniacki are just as fierce competitors that can rile up a crowd or opponent. Radwanska and Kvitova can be very reserved on or off court. Basically that leaves Na Li to be the good girl.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #43
country flag homogenius

homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute homogenius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok kim played a couple of dodgy matches in her oz open win, but she was flawless against Safina, hit 40+ winners past Aga and played 2 astute and smart matches against Vera and Li. In no way did Kim play worse than Vika to win their respective Oz opens. That is by the by though.
lol selective memory.you quickly forgot all the shit Kim got for winning this one while playing some very ugly and inconsistent tennis at times (and when Kim beat Li playing better it's cause she was smart but when vika does it's bad for tennis ?)
Anyway the point is : the whinning was already annoying in 2010/2011 but at least it was based on something in a way, but I think the past year has been great for the sport(both in term of quality, drama, rivalries going on etc...)so all the complains as if tennis was experiencing some horrible damages atm is a bit ridiculous.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #44
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
The women haven´t had this much attention since Serena tried to shove balls down throats. The real problem is that they have no good girl. Maria, Serena, Kerber, Bartoli and Wozniacki are just as fierce competitors that can rile up a crowd or opponent. Radwanska and Kvitova can be very reserved on or off court. Basically that leaves Na Li to be the good girl.
Yer this is also true. The WTA is currently doing better at driving attention than it was in 2010-2011 (bar probably Li's effect in China). The WTA was a real mess then. The winners of the majors then were either injured and hardly ever around for the other slams, or so inconsistent that they were out R1 next major. Least with the current top 3 you have something resembling consistency at the top of the game. Of which 2 of that top 3 are the most marketable players in the WTA.
ozza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #45
country flag homogenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetherskyspace View Post
He never said it would "kill the sport," just that it "wouldn't be good for the sport." Big difference there. You can have a pile of shit (literally) at #1 and it won't kill the sport.

Nice try at sensationalising though.
If you don't mind, I will wait for you to bring your other accounts to discuss it