Serena winning the YEC; injured at Oz Open the following year - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #1
country flag K-Dog

K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Serena winning the YEC; injured at Oz Open the following year

Let's consider this.

In 2001, she won the YEC in Munich because Davenport hurt herself against Clijsters in the semis. Serena shows up to Sydney, rolls her ankle in match with Shaughnessy.

At the 2009 YEC, Serena beat Venus 6-2 7-6 in the finals. Plays Sydney in 2010, gets to the finals, injuring herself in the process. She is extremely successful in Melbourne, winning singles and doubles, but was clearly struggling physically. I think she may have admitted to sustaining bone bruises in both knees during a press conference this fortnight. Following this tournament, Serena does not play another tour match until Rome.

And now we have 2013. Wins 2012 YEC, beating Maria 6-4 6-3. Wins Brisbane easily. Then 1st round rolls her ankle badly, re-aggravates it during quarterfinal doubles match with Vee, and then pulls her back during the match with Sloane.

Is this a case of bad luck, too much tennis and not enough rest, or what? Discuss...
K-Dog is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Serena winning the YEC; injured at Oz Open the following year

Don't think it has anything to do with winning the YEC. Isn't the surface in Australia, rebound ace, a bit stickier and known to cause more ankle rolls than the other surfaces?

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
country flag dybbuk

dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute dybbuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixter View Post
Don't think it has anything to do with winning the YEC. Isn't the surface in Australia, rebound ace, a bit stickier and known to cause more ankle rolls than the other surfaces?
The Australian Open hasn't been played on rebound ace for like 6 years.
dybbuk is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #4
country flag K-Dog

K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute K-Dog has a reputation beyond repute

I still think the surface is still dangerous. A lot of slips and ankle twists continue to occur.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5
country flag LindsayRulz

LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute

IMO the intense Australian heat soften and/or makes the courts stickier no matter what kind of surface they use. Sure thing is plexicushion absorbs less of the heat than rebound ace; rolled ankle cases aren't as frequent as they used to be on rebound ace. Though plexi still gets that sticky effect especially during warm days.
LindsayRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #6
country flag jcempire

jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice jcempire is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
I still think the surface is still dangerous. A lot of slips and ankle twists continue to occur.
you very right. BUt they will not go to change anytime soon
jcempire is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #7
country flag August

August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future August has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog View Post
They should move AO back to grass. And not to slow grass like SW19 but fast grass.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #8
country flag K-Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
They should move AO back to grass. And not to slow grass like SW19 but fast grass.
I love that idea. This whole homogenization of the surfaces really has been a detriment to the quality of matches in the women's tennis, imo. Women's tennis looks great on faster surfaces. Women hit the ball flatter and enjoy lower bounces. Points are shorter, therefore players can last in longer matches and are injured far less frequently.

Hard courts destroy the body. They also reward defense far more frequently than offense, hence us seeing many matches riddled with unforced errors. It's time to speed up the courts and reward offensive players again.