Do the Rules on Medical Timeouts Need Tightening Up? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What changes to the Medical Timeout rules would you support?

No MTOs, play through the pain or retire 4 8.16%
MTOs only before the player's own serve 16 32.65%
MTOs only for external injuries (eg player twists an ankle or is hit in the face by the ball) 11 22.45%
No MTOs for cramp 6 12.24%
No MTOs to retape an existing injury (player's responsibility to come to the match properly prepared) 8 16.33%
Other changes (please state) 4 8.16%
Players would get around any such rule changes anyway 6 12.24%
No change - the rules are fine as they are 21 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute
Do the Rules on Medical Timeouts Need Tightening Up?

Firtly, this is not a thread for discussing the Azarenka saga. There are plenty of threads already for that, these being the two most active:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=483105
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=483257

Pam Shriver tweeted after the match "A terrible call in Kim (Clijsters)-Justine (Henin) final (in 2004) here helped usher in the challenge system. Now this injury charade of 10 minutes may change injury rule."

Personally I'm not so sure. Two of the top players in the men's game are very fond of their tactical MTOs and I think it will take more thamn one women's semi-final to force a rule change.

But if there are changes, what would be a justifiable and workable ammendment to the rule?
bobito is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do the Rules on Medical Timeouts Need Tightening Up?

Yes, they do need tightening up, how to do that is the question.

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
country flag n1_and_uh_noone

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

I have been changing my stance on how exactly this should be changed. For now, I think there should be no timeouts. Get as much treatment as you like during the break between sets, and announce to the crowd what you are being treated for. If it is something that prevents you from continuing, forfeit necessary games to get to the changeover (one visit per set for each ailment). Obviously, in this scenario, VUvu could not have claimed treatment because she was playing fine until the timeout.

In general, there should be very little sympathy for something that happens within a match. Your opponent had better footwork and avoided rolling his ankle, why should he be made to wait because you screwed up?
n1_and_uh_noone is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #4
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1_and_uh_noone View Post
I have been changing my stance on how exactly this should be changed. For now, I think there should be no timeouts. Get as much treatment as you like during the break between sets, and announce to the crowd what you are being treated for. If it is something that prevents you from continuing, forfeit necessary games to get to the changeover (one visit per set for each ailment). Obviously, in this scenario, VUvu could not have claimed treatment because she was playing fine until the timeout.

In general, there should be very little sympathy for something that happens within a match. Your opponent had better footwork and avoided rolling his ankle, why should he be made to wait because you screwed up?
I'm more in favour of if the umpire deems it to be a serious injury, rolled ankle ect, then a MTO can be taken immediately. If it is something like a blister, cramp, whatever Vika had then a player can take a medical time out but only at the change of ends or by losing a game for a 3 minute time out.

If Vika's options yesterday were take a medial time out and give up a game so it was 5-5 all or carry on and get treatment at the change of ends then we would know how truly 'injured' she was and I bet my house on her having just carried on.

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #5
country flag Third Mall

Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold Third Mall is a splendid one to behold

Isn't it an impartial doctor/trainer who decides whether an extended period is needed for treatment? I know a player can lie and say they have a problem they don't have but there will never be anything anyone can do about that. Unless you get them to do some sort of lie detector test; but that would probably take longer than the MTO. Seriously though, the rules as they are seem fine. The only alternative seems to be not allowing MTOs, and that is unacceptable to me.

A fairer option I suppose would be to allow MTOs only immediately prior to the injured player's service game. That would prevent gamesmanship in situations when a player is serving for a set or match.

A player who wants to leave the court can just take a bathroom break anyway, right? This Azarenka stuff is just way over the top.
Third Mall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #6
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:

No she wasn't.

She was steamrolling Sloane up a set and a break until that ankle thing and then Sloane started to get some games in because of UEs from Vika, and the commentators on both ES and ESPN were wondering when she was going to call a MTO.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7

n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute n1_and_uh_noone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy01 View Post
I'm more in favour of if the umpire deems it to be a serious injury, rolled ankle ect, then a MTO can be taken immediately. If it is something like a blister, cramp, whatever Vika had then a player can take a medical time out but only at the change of ends or by losing a game for a 3 minute time out.

If Vika's options yesterday were take a medial time out and give up a game so it was 5-5 all or carry on and get treatment at the change of ends then we would know how truly 'injured' she was and I bet my house on her having just carried on.
Yeah, I like the idea of taking a timeout if you give up a game. NOt sure if the umpire should be allowed to make a decision regarding the seriousness of the injury though.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Interesting idea. You could have a time = points scale for timeouts so it's in the players interest to get back on court asap. For example a player can call for the trainer at the changeover but if they overun it will cost them the next point. After 90 seconds it becomes 2 points and 90 seconds later 3 etc. That way players would only hold up play for genuine injuries.

A bathroom break would have to have a standard penalty, say 2 points. Otherwise you'd be penalising players more because they are playing on a court that is further away from a bathroom.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
No she wasn't.

She was steamrolling Sloane up a set and a break until that ankle thing and then Sloane started to get some games in because of UEs from Vika, and the commentators on both ES and ESPN were wondering when she was going to call a MTO.
So making UEs deserves a medical timeout ?

BY playing fine, I mean it wasn't somehting that was preventing her from carrying on. FFS, she had 5 matchpoints.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #10
country flag sammy01

Quote:
Yeah, I like the idea of taking a timeout if you give up a game. NOt sure if the umpire should be allowed to make a decision regarding the seriousness of the injury though.
I basically mean if the player goes over like on an ankle ect the sort of injury a player isn't likely to carry on after for anyway.

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Interesting idea. You could have a time = points scale for timeouts so it's in the players interest to get back on court asap. For example a player can call for the trainer at the changeover but if they overun it will cost them the next point. After 90 seconds it becomes 2 points and 90 seconds later 3 etc. That way players would only hold up play for genuine injuries.

A bathroom break would have to have a standard penalty, say 2 points. Otherwise you'd be penalising players more because they are playing on a court that is further away from a bathroom.
If I am not wrong, there is something like that for a bathroom break. You lose a point for a certain number of minutes and then a game or something. It was implemented in an Anci match a few years ago.

I am now readin that Azarenka took 10 min because she got 2 timeouts for her 'knee' and 'back'. That is ridiculous. What if she'd pointed to the ankle tweak? 3 timeouts??
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #12
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they do. Just look at the examples we have had at this tournament. You had Serena, who was clearly injured rightly calling the trainer, and there was Azarenka, who changed her story several times on what her "injuries" were, calling the trainer because the moment got to her.

The trainer should only be called out in exceptional circumstances. Serena's timeouts were examples of this. Azarenka's certainly wasn't.
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #13
country flag sammy01

Quote:
If I am not wrong, there is something like that for a bathroom break. You lose a point for a certain number of minutes and then a game or something. It was implemented in an Anci match a few years ago.

I am now readin that Azarenka took 10 min because she got 2 timeouts for her 'knee' and 'back'. That is ridiculous. What if she'd pointed to the ankle tweak? 3 timeouts??
The rules are ridiculous you can take as many time outs in a row as you like.

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Lucemferre

Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute Lucemferre has a reputation beyond repute

The match was never close. The yankee media needs to STFU.
Lucemferre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #15
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

Quote:

Didn't know that. But what I'm suggesting is an automatic 2 point penalty for taking a bathroom break. That would pretty much stop any fake ones.