Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1
country flag DevilishAttitude

DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute DevilishAttitude has a reputation beyond repute
Question Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

After seeming to make progress with the media and the crowds during the US Open, Azarenka has destroyed all that work in the four weeks she's been in Australia. Firstly pulling out half a hour before her match versus Serena in Brisbane with an extremely lame excuse, secondly, her rather tactless comment about wishing she had a back injury after her match versus Hampton, not to mention her shrieking and general poor on-court behaviour and lastly, after her performance today and gamemanship that wasn't becoming of a champion, she's pretty much made herself the #1 villain.

OTOH, Li is very popular with the media and crowds through her personality, is the perfect player to enhance the WTA's marketing drive in Asia, and the fact she's playing in the Asia-Pacific slam, which means the final will be played primetime in China and have an global audience going into the hundreds of millions, could signal huge money being poured into the WTA.

Therefore, with the media, crowds and marketing strategists guaranteed to be hoping for a Li win, will the WTA want her to beat Azarenka, who seems to be nothing more than a huge liability to them?
DevilishAttitude is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #2
country flag RenaSlam.

RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute RenaSlam. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will the WTA be praying Li wins the final?

Let's just say there won't be many people rooting for Vika in the crowd during the final, other than that loser Redfoo.
__W00.01.05.07.08__USO00.01__

Step.
RenaSlam. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure the WTA would love Li to win and Serena or Maria to take the #1 ranking ASAP. As right now Vika is the exact opposite of their 'strong is beautiful' stuff as with Vika strong is very much ugly right now (not meaning looks).

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #4
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

they'd be able to tell the men to get stuffed as well, as the tv audience for the womens final will probably be bigger than for the men! equal pay?
doujyr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey is on her knees as we speak.

I'm not sure what's her PR strategy is but it's a disaster so far.
That Benito guy is good tho. The kool-aid on Nadal is unbelievable.

Having Li in a Slam final is excellent for the WTA. No matter what happens, they can always show Chinese TV ratings to justify the prize money.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

No offence to Li, but tennis is not exploding in Asia as a lot of you are preaching will happen. It didn't happen after her 2011 season, it probably won't happen if she wins the title here either.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
country flag doujyr

doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of doujyr has much to be proud of

but it's such a ***ing huge market it doesn't really need to explode to make a huge difference. you clearly have no idea of the scale of things involved.
doujyr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #8
country flag Talula

Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute Talula has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine they wanted Maria to win.

Players I root for now: Heather, Laura, Lucie, Marion, Serena, Simona, Svetlana, Venus, Vika. And Caroline.
Doubles and Mixed Doubles are fun and underrated.
Talula is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9
country flag Wert.

Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute Wert. has a reputation beyond repute

Good point.
Wert. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
country flag antonella

antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute antonella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilishAttitude View Post
After seeming to make progress with the media and the crowds during the US Open, Azarenka has destroyed all that work in the four weeks she's been in Australia. Firstly pulling out half a hour before her match versus Serena in Brisbane with an extremely lame excuse, secondly, her rather tactless comment about wishing she had a back injury after her match versus Hampton, not to mention her shrieking and general poor on-court behaviour and lastly, after her performance today and gamemanship that wasn't becoming of a champion, she's pretty much made herself the #1 villain....
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #11
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis is a first-world problem.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #12
country flag LUVMIRZA

LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute LUVMIRZA has a reputation beyond repute

Lame Maria fans

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #13
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggly View Post
Stacey is on her knees as we speak.

I'm not sure what's her PR strategy is but it's a disaster so far.
That Benito guy is good tho. The kool-aid on Nadal is unbelievable.

Having Li in a Slam final is excellent for the WTA. No matter what happens, they can always show Chinese TV ratings to justify the prize money.
What Nadal kool-aid? Is it the roids? I need information!

I know that someone commented about how Li Na's 2011 didn't do much for tennis in China. But I think that's just a bunch of baloney. Obviously, it's not as readily obvious what her success must signal for the development of tennis in a booming market like China, but the fact of the matter is she is still a major figure in sport, specifically because she's from China. Isn't she only second to Maria as the top-earning female athlete? And this is with far less success and without a Western celebrity status. After she won Roland Garros, she took on like a million endorsements in China including Mercedes-Benz. She is all over everything there. When Li Na does well, the WTA is able to put itself in a much better position to broach the Chinese market. This could mean everything from developing it to the point where a bunch of Chinese people traveling all over the world to watch tennis matches, which is not only good for the WTA but also for international tourism, etc. People may not realize this but as far as a shifting global market is concerned, Li Na is probably the most important tennis player in the WTA. If she were more glamorous like Maria or Serena, I can only imagine what else she'd be doing.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #14
country flag misty1

misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of

no but pam,cliff, darren, mary joe and the mcenroe brothers will be.

commentaryt in the maria/na match was just pathetic. they were so obviously hoping for maria to win without saying it it was rediculous. Now that vika took out their darling ..i dont know if it will even be watchable
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #15
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
What Nadal kool-aid? Is it the roids? I need information!

I know that someone commented about how Li Na's 2011 didn't do much for tennis in China. But I think that's just a bunch of baloney. Obviously, it's not as readily obvious what her success must signal for the development of tennis in a booming market like China, but the fact of the matter is she is still a major figure in sport, specifically because she's from China. Isn't she only second to Maria as the top-earning female athlete? And this is with far less success and without a Western celebrity status. After she won Roland Garros, she took on like a million endorsements in China including Mercedes-Benz. She is all over everything there. When Li Na does well, the WTA is able to put itself in a much better position to broach the Chinese market. This could mean everything from developing it to the point where a bunch of Chinese people traveling all over the world to watch tennis matches, which is not only good for the WTA but also for international tourism, etc. People may not realize this but as far as a shifting global market is concerned, Li Na is probably the most important tennis player in the WTA. If she were more glamorous like Maria or Serena, I can only imagine what else she'd be doing.
Nadal use gamesmanship all the time but redeems himself with a fake smile and broken English.
Benito should use the same trick for Azarenka.

Rafael took a toilet break right before Federer served for the match in IW.
That feet injury at Wimbledon was shady at best but the media ate it up.

Li is in an incredible asset for the WTA just as Vika is a disaster.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote