Maria Sharapova being convincingly trashed in slams - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #106
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria Sharapova being convincingly trashed in slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo St View Post
you are saying that you prefer when she loses playing good rather than losing with a bad display.

yet you dont think so and you shouldnt, its easier and more conforting for you as a fan to think she can produce more and therefore match what na presented than to think she was at her best and couldnt get the win

thats why you are saying that she was playing bad, because you prefer to think that.. but in fact she was showing the same awesome display that made her routine venus and the scrubs from earlier rounds
Good god that's just so wrong. Did you even watch the match? She was missing CONVENTIONAL, ROUTINE groundstrokes consistently. Her backhand, for example, was sailing LONG. Not even missing wide, but she was missing long. That had nothing to do with Li Na - these were unforced errors that we didn't see in her other matches. She was at least 40% below her level in the Venus match.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #107
country flag DomenicDemaria

DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute DomenicDemaria has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is a good laugh. Fact is Maria lost to Li. Deal with it people and move on.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #108
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
Is it bad for the game? Has she passed her peak and will never win a slam again? Should she retire? Where does she go from here? All questions arising after the Li match fiasco.

She certainly has been beaten with ease a lot in her career, odd for a player of her caliver. Is she the multiple slam winner that has recieved more beatdowns in slams?

AO 2013 SF vs Li 26 26
AO 2012 F vs Aza 36 06
AO 2011 4r vs Petko 26 36
AO 2007 F vs Sarin 16 26

RG 2009 QF vs Pome 26 06
RG 2007 SF vs Ajde 26 16

Wimby 2008 2r vs Alla 26 46
Wimby 2007 4r vs Vee 16 36

In 6 of those defeats she was inside the top 4.
This shows that Maria is rather one-dimensional. She doesn't have a plan B or capable of adjusting her game to adapt.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #109
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
This shows that Maria is rather one-dimensional. She doesn't have a plan B or capable of adjusting her game to adapt.
To be fair you've only seen one statistic. She had the highest 3-set win percentage in 2012 if I'm not mistaken. In so many of those 3-set matches she was playing poorly. She won them because she was able to fight, dig deep and get herself across the line. I'd say she does have a 'plan B.' It's not a tactical change, but she does have a gear she can shift into to get herself through those types of matches. Sometimes we don't see her shift gears though Sometimes the fight isn't there. It's a rarity though thankfully.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #110
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorpha View Post
Stating the obvious, really.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #111
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Every player has bad losses even at slams. Venus lost 6-1 6-1 to Hingis in 2001 during her prime.

That is to date her heaviest loss at a slam and 2nd heaviest loss in her career.

Just shows sometimes players can just have a bad day where nothing goes right.

Sent from Verticalsports.com App
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #112
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
Good god that's just so wrong. Did you even watch the match? She was missing CONVENTIONAL, ROUTINE groundstrokes consistently. Her backhand, for example, was sailing LONG. Not even missing wide, but she was missing long. That had nothing to do with Li Na - these were unforced errors that we didn't see in her other matches. She was at least 40% below her level in the Venus match.
missing long is just the most indicative thing that someone is feeling pressured. thats why they try to hit as deep as possible and then make the mistake. thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #113
country flag metamorpha

metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of metamorpha has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachy View Post
To be fair you've only seen one statistic. She had the highest 3-set win percentage in 2012 if I'm not mistaken. In so many of those 3-set matches she was playing poorly. She won them because she was able to fight, dig deep and get herself across the line. I'd say she does have a 'plan B.' It's not a tactical change, but she does have a gear she can shift into to get herself through those types of matches. Sometimes we don't see her shift gears though Sometimes the fight isn't there. It's a rarity though thankfully.
The way I see it, most of her 3-set matches proved that she's mentally very strong, very clutch. But still one-dimensional. She can play ugly but still managed to drag her opponents down to her level, and finally the match had become the battle of will, which she could win.

There should be exceptions somewhere, maybe her match vs Shvedova in FO.
metamorpha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #114
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo St View Post
missing long is just the most indicative thing that someone is feeling pressured. thats why they try to hit as deep as possible and then make the mistake. thanks for proving my point.
When Maria feels pressured she typically goes for shots that 'are not on.' In fact, I think that's the same for a lot of players. Missing conventional backhands due to pressure. Nooo Maybe if it was her first slam semi but I think we got that one out of the way some time ago
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #115
country flag Dominic

Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute Dominic has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but I think some ppl in this thread don't understand the term UNFORCED errors.
Dominic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #116
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenicDemaria View Post
This thread is a good laugh. Fact is Maria lost to Li. Deal with it people and move on.
This
Oh dear! those endless discussions around foolish, pointless UE statistics.....
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #117
country flag garwe

garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of garwe has much to be proud of

i'm a Azarenka fan, and i dont like Sharapova a lot. But i think she may win slams in the coming years. I will be nervous she wins the titles i hope Vika wins.

I would guess she will win more slams.
garwe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote