Maria Sharapova being convincingly trashed in slams - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #61
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria Sharapova being convincingly trashed in slams

Some of these losses are sad .

Are people really counting Wimbledon '08 though? Her shoulder at that stage had been broken for a couple of months already . She shouldn't have even been playing in hindsight. If Serena and other players get free passes for some awful losses because of an injury, the same should defnitely apply to Maria and her torn shoulder at Wimbledon '08 .

Although apart from RG '09 which was only her second or third (can't remember which) tournament back after the surgery, that's really the only totally awful loss in a slam that can really be excused .

She's also had a lot of tight losses (Kirilenko at '10 AO, Oudin at '09 USO) that are just as awful on paper as the beatdown losses. Such is life for Maria I guess. At least she finally got over that final hurdle at RG last year.

Maria is comparable to Dementieva just in the respect of bouncing back from tough losses - the only difference being Maria has the career slam to keep her warm now. Elena had no such things .

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #62
country flag MrProdigy555
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute MrProdigy555 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a dumb thread. Why? Maria will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
Don't make me come to T&T to huff and puff and blow your hut down, girl.
Fuck y'all
MrProdigy555 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #63
country flag Anabelcroft

Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future Anabelcroft has a brilliant future
Re: Maria Sharapova being convincely trashed in slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsi View Post
Since the beginning of 2011, Maria has lost only two matches in three sets. The other 23 losses were in two sets.
Oh God,didn't know that...
Anabelcroft is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #64
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Maria is that she tends to either be 'on' or 'off.' There isn't much of an in-between. She's fought through tonnes of matches in her career in which she was 'off' her game. When she comes up against top players and throws in one of her bad days, we see scorelines such as these.

It explains why she has a lot of 2-set losses in comparison to 3-set losses. As a massive fan, when she's off...she's off.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #65
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon.

Maria currently has 1 slam on her computer rankings and has won 4 grand slams.

It's not like she's 30 and losing every match 6-1 6-1.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #66
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
C'mon.

Maria currently has 1 slam on her computer rankings and has won 4 grand slams.

It's not like she's 30 and losing every match 6-1 6-1.
Hi Rollo. So was Hingis in 1999. We could be heading into another early 2000s competitive era.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #67
country flag quentinak

quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light quentinak is a glorious beacon of light

She might have more of these losses if she doesn't continue to improve by playing with more margin when she needs to, develop a plan B. She'll need to play with more topspin to hopefully throw her opponent off rhythm when she isn't playing her best, when hitting hard and harder doesn't work, or when she's getting outplayed by superior strategy. Simple changes (see Li Na) can do her wonders IMO.

I think she's been working on her footwork which improves her defense. I hope she'll allow more input from her coach and add more dimension to her game because I am sure she improve if she decides to.
quentinak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #68
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Rollo. So was Hingis in 1999. We could be heading into another early 2000s competitive era.
Hi Sam

You could be right. Let's hope the final is good and competitive.

I miss the Swiss Miss a LOT. While she never won another slam after 1999 she did still give us a lot of memories. The 1999 French, the delicious semi vs Venus at the 200 US Open, and of course the 2002 meltdown (literally!) vs Capriati at the Aussie.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #69
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

2007 AO lost in the final pretty badly, 2008 AO wins the title. 2012 AO lost in the final 6-3 6-0, 2012 RG wins the title.
If Maria had let all those beatdowns get to her she would not be with a career slam now!

It doesn't matter what the score is she moves on fast and doesn't dwell on it, Having those losses makes you realize just how resilient she is. People who laugh at those losses can keep laughing
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #70
country flag Leo St

Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute Leo St has a reputation beyond repute

i disagree when people say she was off yesterday. for me, she was absolutely on. she was hitting deep and hard, going for corners and outserving (not outreturning) na li, what else can she do? the response she was getting to her great play was greater everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2 View Post
V Williams is like 63453 years old.
Leo St is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #71
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
She might have more of these losses if she doesn't continue to improve by playing with more margin when she needs to, develop a plan B. She'll need to play with more topspin to hopefully throw her opponent off rhythm when she isn't playing her best, when hitting hard and harder doesn't work, or when she's getting outplayed by superior strategy. Simple changes (see Li Na) can do her wonders IMO.

I think she's been working on her footwork which improves her defense. I hope she'll allow more input from her coach and add more dimension to her game because I am sure she improve if she decides to.
Spot on Quentinak.

The lack of margin for error goes a long way towards explaining why when she's off she's REALLY off.

She should also get over her fear of coming to net. When she gets a short ball she often hits it and moves back, only to caught by deep balls she could have easily put away.

Whatever her technical shortcomings I admire her fight.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #72
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
She certainly has been beaten with ease a lot in her career, odd for a player of her caliver. Is she the multiple slam winner that has recieved more beatdowns in slams?

AO 2013 SF vs Li 26 26
AO 2012 F vs Aza 36 06
AO 2011 4r vs Petko 26 36
AO 2007 F vs Sarin 16 26

RG 2009 QF vs Pome 26 06
RG 2007 SF vs Ajde 26 16

Wimby 2008 2r vs Alla 26 46
Wimby 2007 4r vs Vee 16 36

In 6 of those defeats she was inside the top 4.
lol. You need help son. Thankfully you're not a financial analyst.

First of all you present:

AO 2013 SF vs Li 26 26
AO 2012 F vs Aza 36 06
AO 2007 F vs Sarin 16 26
RG 2009 QF vs Pome 26 06
RG 2007 SF vs Ajde 26 16

Those are all showings of QF or better. If that's getting "trashed in slams" then most players look forward to being trashed.

Second you leave out all the matches in slams in which she routed other players.

Third - "been beaten a lot with ease" She has the 12th highest W/L percentage of all time.

So stop making yourself look stupid. Then again . .don't .there is entertainment value in it.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #73
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo St View Post
i disagree when people say she was off yesterday. for me, she was absolutely on. she was hitting deep and hard, going for corners and outserving (not outreturning) na li, what else can she do? the response she was getting to her great play was greater everytime
Her play was abysmal. Yes Li was playing great tennis and might have taken it even if Sharapova had been on but the scoreline would have been a lot different. Like with all my faves I don't mind when they lose, even routed. I do mind when they play way below their top level.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #74
country flag alfonsojose

alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute alfonsojose has a reputation beyond repute

Pova needs to learn how to slice ASAP
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #75
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
lol. You need help son. Thankfully you're not a financial analyst.

First of all you present:

AO 2013 SF vs Li 26 26
AO 2012 F vs Aza 36 06
AO 2007 F vs Sarin 16 26
RG 2009 QF vs Pome 26 06
RG 2007 SF vs Ajde 26 16

Those are all showings of QF or better. If that's getting "trashed in slams" then most players look forward to being trashed.

Second you leave out all the matches in slams in which she routed other players.

Third - "been beaten a lot with ease" She has the 12th highest W/L percentage of all time.

So stop making yourself look stupid. Then again . .don't .there is entertainment value in it.
Everyone else understood I was referring to the scoreline not the round she is being beaten, why you didn't / couldn't?