Vikagate: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules." - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #46
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules."

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I'd really like players to repect the spirit of the rules more.
But in high stakes pro sports, does "respect" even come into play? It's all about winning any way you can, within the rules-- and often, outside of them.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #47
country flag hpme

hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all hpme is a name known to all

Azarenka will pay it back if she really cheated...

winning people's love is much more important than a match

------------------------------------
play stronger, play smarter

hpme is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #48
Harry.

Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute Harry. has a reputation beyond repute

Lol if it's in the rules, how can it be cheating?
Harry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #49
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she was cheating
Roookie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #50
country flag MsWilson

MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Perhaps the dumbest post ever!
Perhaps you are just mad.
MsWilson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #51
country flag bobbynorwich

bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future bobbynorwich has a brilliant future
Re: Vikagate: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules."

The Aussies are very hard on unsportsmanlike athletes and ESPN commentators are saying that Azarenka will get a very negative reception at the final, rooting much more for Li. It'll be interesting.
bobbynorwich is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #52
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
The Aussies are very hard on unsportsmanlike athletes and ESPN commentators are saying that Azarenka will get a very negative reception at the final, rooting much more for Li. It'll be interesting.
That's very true. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for Azarenka though. She seems to get fired up and use the crowd cheering against her to fuel her performance. That being said, the crowd will be respectful and cheer her winners anyway. In an ideal world the reception would make her think about her actions in the semifinal but that will more than likely not be the case.
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #53
country flag baby_britain

baby_britain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by edificio View Post

They all need to get a grip. Vika had a medical timeout because of what she perceived as a medical issue. She failed to quite understand the question put to her by Sam Smith and was talking out of adrenalin. She's in the final. The end.

Players need to have the option of taking medical timeouts, because injuries and medical issues do occur, and they don't always happen at the "right" time. I remember one time Rafa stopped playing in the middle of a point and sat down and would not begin playing again because he felt like he was choking on a banana. Should he not have stopped? Should he have waited until the changeover? Please.

Sloan should have taken Vika on after the MTO and won the match herself. She was already in the SF because she played against an injured opponent.

Possibly the most sensible thing I've read about the whole affair.

Vika, the doctor and trainer believed it was a medical issue. That is what matters. Not the views of commentators, fans or journalists who are merely speculating.

At the end of the day the best player won. It's as simple as that.
baby_britain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #54
country flag Vincey!

Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute Vincey! has a reputation beyond repute

Azarenka has been shady with her injuries since as long as I remember so I'm not surprised by this drama with her. She sure should have taken her medical time out before that or after that. I do believe that she may have misunderstood the question on the on court interview, but it doesn't change when and why she took the MTO. Clearly she felt comfortable enough to not take that MTO earlier and if she wouldn't have been losing a few games in a row choking slowly that match she would have never taken the MTO. It wasn't a new injury either as she said herself.

I do believe that you shouldn't be allowed to take a MTO in between change over unless it's a new injury or it got significantly worse. They should only allow the assessment of that injury and the trainer would decide if it's serious enough to have to do the MTO at that moment or if they can wait to the change over. At least it would prevent a 10 minutes delay in between games.

On the other hand, Sloane's coach (and maybe Sloane herself, I don't know what's her thought on that matter) shouldn't be bitching about that in the media. As they say it's all right by the rules and they shouldn't focus on excuses but on how to go to that next level. To be able to beat a fit top 5 player.

"You're wasting your time,Go home and have a beer!" - Maria Sharapova-
Vincey! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #55
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich View Post
2006 : A. Mauresmo def J. Henin 6-1 2-0 ret. The crowd boos her.
2010 : S. Williams vs J. Henin. The crowd is pro-Henin, it will eventually piss off Serena who will win the final set 6-2 after Henin had a few breakpoints at 2-1* IIRC.

So... Maybe one day, the Aussie crowd will forget.
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #56
country flag MatchpointPRT

MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of MatchpointPRT has much to be proud of

That rule for me only allows a player to disrespect the opponent by using antics. Sloane wasn´t playing amazing but she was creating more difficulties for Azarenka to finish the match. Even if Sloane was going to lose in the end of that set or a 3rd set she should have had a fair attitude from her opponent instead of what Azarenka did with a 10min stop because of nerves.
I also think it´s contradictory from some people to say she would win it anyway because that only means she didn´t need to use that MTO in that moment. If it was the final, in a 3rd set with a result of 6-4/4-6/6-5 after a choke like Azarenka had, Azarenka would do the same and her opponent would lose the match after 2h50m only because of a loss of concentration after a 10 minute break. It would be within the rules, but would it be fair and respectful?
I really hope for a changing in the rules. Sloane had a good attitude by not wanting to enter in discussions but saying that it didn´t affect her is far from true if we look to what happened after the MTO in her 1/4 and 1/2 matches. Anyway i think it is a matter for others to reflect on.

]
MatchpointPRT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote