Vikagate: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules." - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #31
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules."

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
It's funny to me how little Sloane haters are popping up everywhere under the guise of Azarenka defenderss....
Because the only reason the American tennis forces are even trying to make a deal out of this is because they wanted Ms. Lucky Charms to somehow edge through another choking/injured opponent because they know damn well she's nowhere near good enough yet to beat them straight up.

They should be focusing on Sloane's game and not whatever was happening to the chick that was comfortably routining her.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #32
country flag KournikovaFan91
*Sesil*

KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute KournikovaFan91 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheating within the rules is a total oxymoron, gamesmanship maybe and its been rife in tennis for decades
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #33
country flag Larrybidd

Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute Larrybidd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
It's funny to me how little Sloane haters are popping up everywhere under the guise of Azarenka defenderss....
Vika defenders? How can you really defend this? By saying she didn't cheat? She didn't cheat only depending on which of her stories you believe. If choking is an injury, then it was all within the rules. No problem. But panicking is not supposed to be a reason for taking an injury timeout, and going off court to get yourself together. Whether it affected the final outcome of the match is beside the point. We'll never know because one of the player's was playing fast and loose.

That being said, I'm glad Sloane didn't make that big a deal out of it, because 1) she's going to run up against other player's with different ideas of sportsmanship, and she has to play thru it. Don't let the opponent get you out of your game. Worry about what you can control - that's the route to being a champion. Don't get mad, get even. 2) It is the job and interest of the spectators and the announcers that call a match to keep the players accountable to the rules. The referee handles the letter of the rules, but the rest of us are correct in policing the spirit of the rules.
Larrybidd is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #34
country flag MsWilson

MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold MsWilson is a splendid one to behold

Even if she was just panicking, who's to say anxiety isn't a medical condition? It causes physical symptoms.

I can see why the opponent wouldn't like it, but from that standpoint it's the same inconvenience whether the MTO is for panicking, cramps, sprain, etc. So what does it really matter?
MsWilson is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #35
country flag moodin0931

moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute moodin0931 has a reputation beyond repute

Get over it. She lost. She would have lost no matter what. Stop complaining. Move on.
moodin0931 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #36
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

It's clear on the pic that the trainer is manipulating her back and that's even before the MTO. Vika's version is matching everything that happened on screen and yet people still can't get over it.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #37
country flag hilluis

hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light hilluis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitou View Post
Didn't Roger do EXACTLY the same in 2010 against Davydenko? He lost badly the first set, poorly started the second... and then took a looong break after which came back and killed Nikolay...?
And nobody was complaining because Roger is Roger....

--
No, he did not. He took a break between sets and not before Nikolay was about to serve. Federer also went down 3-1 after that... Azarenka has a history of making poor choices which can be construed as gamesmanship.... her retirements when losing ( a match against Sharapova comes to mind) withdrawals ( before playiing Serena, supposedly for the toe injury)... pretending she is more injured than she really is ( against Radwanska) etc etc. None of this reflects well on her and whilst, none of this is illegal, it is poor form for a world no 1. However, I would agree that Nadal has also made some dubious decisions in matches - trainer out for choking on a banana, taking extra time to go and put water on his hands against Nishikori ( cant remember the exact scenario but Nadal did this between points and Nishikori was in the ascendency at the time). All in all, it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
hilluis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #38
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWilson View Post
Even if she was just panicking, who's to say anxiety isn't a medical condition? It causes physical symptoms.

I can see why the opponent wouldn't like it, but from that standpoint it's the same inconvenience whether the MTO is for panicking, cramps, sprain, etc. So what does it really matter?
Perhaps the dumbest post ever!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #39
country flag manu32

manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future manu32 has a brilliant future

Lagardère's team problems?
manu32 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #40
country flag vixter

vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute vixter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloque View Post
It's clear on the pic that the trainer is manipulating her back and that's even before the MTO. Vika's version is matching everything that happened on screen and yet people still can't get over it.
I believe what she said but even she admits herself that the timing was unfortunate and she should have done it earlier. And that is what most of the outrage is about right? That she chooses to do it after just losing her serve, wasting 5mp, when Sloane is about to serve to stay in it.

Tennis-fan since 2001 Serena-fan since 2001
Don't hate the player hate the game. I dislike noone. Not even Sharapova.
vixter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #41
country flag Manitou

Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future Manitou has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilluis View Post
No, he did not. He took a break between sets and not before Nikolay was about to serve. Federer also went down 3-1 after that...
Hmmm... My memory does not serve me well. I thought it was after he was already down in the second set. Yes, I think you are right. I can see I was wrong....

--

Outside Poland: Simona and Elina
Manitou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #42
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
Wait wasn't Sloane's coach Troy Hahn(that good looking guy in that Disrespectful video)? What was he doing then?
Maybe he takes Nainkin's place when Nainkin is with Sam Querrey. Sloane shares a coach with Querrey.

As people have said, acting within the rules is not cheating.

This whole brouhaha is overblown.

I don't even care.

I just want to see a good final match.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #43
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Because the only reason the American tennis forces are even trying to make a deal out of this is because they wanted Ms. Lucky Charms to somehow edge through another choking/injured opponent because they know damn well she's nowhere near good enough yet to beat them straight up.

They should be focusing on Sloane's game and not whatever was happening to the chick that was comfortably routining her.
You need to stop repeating this b.s. Eurosport and Australian commentators have been exceedingly critical as well.

They all need to get a grip. Vika had a medical timeout because of what she perceived as a medical issue. She failed to quite understand the question put to her by Sam Smith and was talking out of adrenalin. She's in the final. The end.

Players need to have the option of taking medical timeouts, because injuries and medical issues do occur, and they don't always happen at the "right" time. I remember one time Rafa stopped playing in the middle of a point and sat down and would not begin playing again because he felt like he was choking on a banana. Should he not have stopped? Should he have waited until the changeover? Please.

Sloan should have taken Vika on after the MTO and won the match herself. She was already in the SF because she played against an injured opponent.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #44
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE: Nainkin was also quoted by the NYT, where the story has made the front page of the electronic edition!

Nainkin, Stephens’s coach, said he had “never heard of two medical timeouts back to back.”

“In all my years, that’s a first,” he said. “Two different injuries? I think it’s unprofessional. Saying that, she did win the match and played a great game at 5-4, but tennis is a game of momentum and Sloane had the momentum, and obviously the little break definitely changed things.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/sp...44212706F9E421

Also, Pam Shriver is quoted in the article. She said everyone is appalled, but that she abused MTOs herself.
PUTINTSEVA #1 PLAYER

MakarovaPavlyuchenkovaBarthelLisickiBeck DoloncTwinPliskovasPutintsevaPuchkovaSirotkinaPfizenmaier GavrilovaMituScholl

Last edited by Tennis Fool : Jan 25th, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #45
country flag August

August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of August has much to be proud of

I'd really like players to repect the spirit of the rules more. ATP had to adopt that 25-sec rule because players started to take time between points, it wasn't previously a problem. Same goes with grunting, some players started it and now most WTA and many ATP players do it. I guess next everybody will take a MTO in case of a choke.
August is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote