Vikagate: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules." - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Vikagate: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules."

Was Azarenka 'cheating' within the rules?

USA TODAY Sports7:17a.m. EST January 24, 2013

(Photo: Aaron Favila, AP)

MELBOURNE, Australia — Victoria Azarenka called a timeout late in her semifinal victory Thursday against Sloane Stephens of the USA.

The timing — just after failing to close out the match despite five match points, and just as Stephens was preparing to serve — caused a stir.

Throughout the nearly 10 minutes Azarenka was off the court, ESPN commentators questioned the move, and the debate heated up on Twitter. Was it gamesmanship?

Azarenka's answer to an on-court question just after the match certainly added to the suspicion.

"Well, I almost did the choke of the year. At 5-3, having so many chances I couldn't close it out," said Azarenka, who won 6-1, 6-4 to advance to the final against Li Na of China. "I just felt a little bit overwhelmed. I realized I'm one step away from the final and nerves got into me for sure."

Nerves, feeling overwhelmed, are most certainly not cause for an MTO.

Azarenka was on the defensive in her post-match news conference — which almost entirely focused on the issue — and she said then that she was dealing with a rib injury that made it hard to breathe.

"I should have, you know, called the trainer a little bit earlier before that when I got to the point that I couldn't really breathe and had to go off court," she said. "A rib got locked and kept getting worse. I had to have it adjusted. I really had to go and take that medical timeout."

She also explained that she misunderstood the question in her on-court interview."I just really misunderstood what she asked me because the question was I had few difficulties and why I went off," Azarenka said. "I completely thought of a different thing, why I couldn't close out of match, you know, that I had few difficulties."

The ITF Grand Slam rulebook allows a medical timeout when "the physiotherapist/athletic trainer has evaluated the player and has determined that additional time for medical treatment is required."

Officials said the tournament doctor reported that Azarenka had left knee and rib injuries. Tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed their were two medical timeouts to address both injuries.

"On our initial assessment on this, we've given the all clear," Tiley said in an interview on Australian TV. "Everything was within the rules of the game."

Stephens' coach, David Nainkin, was clearly unhappy.

"I thought it was very unfair — cheating within the rules," he said. "It was unsportsmanlike. I don't think you should be able to leave the court before the opponent serves for 10 minutes for whatever reason. You'd better have something pretty good. I think there's a gray area in the rule book that shoudn't be allowed. End of story."

The delay was for nearly 10 minutes.

"They wanted to take two medical timeouts, for the knee and for that, but I wanted to take one because I wanted to go back on court," Azarenka said.

"The timing, yeah, it was my bad. The game before that when I lost my service game, it kept getting worse. I thought I would have to play through it and keep calm. But it just got worse."

Stephens downplayed the incident."It's happened before. Last match, match before, I've had people going for medical breaks, going to the bathroom," she said. "Didn't affect me. Just another something else that happens."

Some of the tennis world was not so calm. Much of the outrage was focused on the rule itself.

"You can't take an injury timeout for a choke," said seven-time Grand Slam champion Mats Wilander. "That's shocking to me. ... That's ridiculous. I don't care what the rule is but you should not be able to take in injury timeout when the other person is going to serve. Maybe you can take it if you forfeit the game. ... The rule is ridiculous. ... The rules are there to be followed, and she didn't break the rule but it's a horrible rule. The rule is ridiculous."
Nainkin, again, called it unfair.

"Sloane sat out there for 10 minutes while someone saves match points," he said. "It's momentum swings. That's part of the sport. You have 90 seconds on the changeover an you have to deal with what just happened. That's tennis. She (Azarenka) had 10 minutes to go inside and regroup. It's not fair."

Patrick McEnroe, who is part of ESPN's broadcast team, unleashed a series of tweets:

"So let me get this straight. She had a lot of nerves and that's why she left the court. Unbelievable"
"Are you kidding me??"

"Absolute travesty"

Azarenka, meanwhile, will move on to face Li in the final on Saturday, and she noted that the rib could still be an issue going forward.

"I'm being really honest here, what I'm talking about," she said, when asked if she believes players abuse the rule, using it as a stalling tactic. "But about somebody else, maybe somebody does, somebody doesn't, but I don't really care.

"When I play and somebody takes a medical timeout, I don't doubt them."

Contributing: Douglas Robson

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...meout/1860827/

UPDATE: Nainkin was also quoted by the NYT, where the story has made the front page of the electronic edition!
Nainkin, Stephens’s coach, said he had “never heard of two medical timeouts back to back.”

“In all my years, that’s a first,” he said. “Two different injuries? I think it’s unprofessional. Saying that, she did win the match and played a great game at 5-4, but tennis is a game of momentum and Sloane had the momentum, and obviously the little break definitely changed things.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/25/sp...44212706F9E421
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova

Last edited by Tennis Fool : Jan 25th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
country flag Jose.
CL*2NE1

Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute Jose. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sloane's coach said Vika was "cheating within the rules."

Cheating within the rules

Get over it, even if Sloane won the 2nd set she would still lose the match...
Babos | Ormaechea | Jaksic | Gasparyan | Eraydin | Soylu
Allgurin | Kontaveit | Zacarias | Pigossi | Haddad Maia | Abduraimova
Konjuh | Bencic | Komardina | Haas | Jorovic | Galfi | Stollar
Jose. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
country flag ozza

ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute ozza has a reputation beyond repute

"Cheating within the rules" is an oxymoron.
ozza is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
country flag tsmile789

tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all tsmile789 is a name known to all

Next
tsmile789 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
country flag PetraReeMona

PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute PetraReeMona has a reputation beyond repute

If it's "within the rules" then it's not cheating.

End of.

It might be bad sportsmanship, but it's not cheating; there's a difference.
PetraReeMona is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #6
country flag Kasey

Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute Kasey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose. View Post
Cheating within the rules

Get over it, even if Sloane won the 2nd set she would still lose the match...
Pretty much.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #7
country flag Viennalover

Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of Viennalover has much to be proud of

What' going on with media??
Afterall it was Vika ruling the game... they make sounds like Vika robbed the victory ....

lack of objectivity....
they should go back to college learning Journalism from the beginning ...
was it, Communication 1??
Viennalover is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

Bullshit!! Thank God his pupil did not win because of her opponent's injury
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #9
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the neglected aspects of today's controversy is how well Sloane dealt with it. Her take on the whole thing:

"I love Vika and we share the same agent. We actually are pretty good friends. I'm sure I'll see her and we'll talk about it."

"It's happened before. I mean, I've had in the last match, the match before, medical breaks, go to the bathroom, the whole showdown.

"It was just something else, but it didn't affect anything I don't think."

So much moderation and good sense from such a young player, while vastly more experienced commentators (including as it now turns out, her own coach) were practically instigating a witch-hunt.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #10
country flag Mynarco
Thank You For The Music

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Wait wasn't Sloane's coach Troy Hahn(that good looking guy in that Disrespectful video)? What was he doing then?
Singles (CHR#17) - Copenhagen 10 ; Beijing 11 ; Pattaya 12
Doubles (CHR#10) - Cincinnati 09 (w/Drake1980) ; Auckland+Copenhagen 10 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 11 (w/Richie's) ; Stuttgart+Baku 12 (w/Richie's) ; Palermo 13 (w/Richie's) ; Monterrey 14 (w/Adrian.) USO 14 (w/Frederik)

Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #11
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think one of the neglected aspects of today's controversy is how well Sloane dealt with it. Her take on the whole thing:

"I love Vika and we share the same agent. We actually are pretty good friends. I'm sure I'll see her and we'll talk about it."

"It's happened before. I mean, I've had in the last match, the match before, medical breaks, go to the bathroom, the whole showdown.

"It was just something else, but it didn't affect anything I don't think."

So much moderation and good sense from such a young player, while vastly more experienced commentators (including as it now turns out, her own coach) were practically instigating a witch-hunt.
Wow that's pretty cool . I was indifferent in that "Do you like Sloane" thread. Reading this i'll probably like her in the future.
StoneRose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #12
country flag gbenga

gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute gbenga has a reputation beyond repute

I guess every player should be doing it then. Take 10min MTO before your opponent serve to level things up when you get tight. Its all good the rule allow it.
gbenga is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #13
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute

At this point, everyone should just let this go.

RIP Elena Baltacha. You were taken far too soon from us. You will be missed, loved and remembered.
Vicky Duval Get well soon. We're all pulling for you in this awful fight you now face.
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #14
country flag Sweety Darling

Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of Sweety Darling has much to be proud of

Azarenka is disgusting. Hate this *****.
Sweety Darling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #15
country flag lupojohn
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute lupojohn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety Darling View Post
Azarenka is disgusting. Hate this *****.

RIP Elena Baltacha. You were taken far too soon from us. You will be missed, loved and remembered.
Vicky Duval Get well soon. We're all pulling for you in this awful fight you now face.
lupojohn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote