Do you get the hype about Stephens? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #46
country flag Marcus1979
Team WTAworld

Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute Marcus1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwerner View Post
We can compare her to other Semifinalists of a Slam (only one-time SF as best result).

So compared to Wickmayer, Pironkova, Cibulkova or Lisicki she is probably to first (or even the only one?) to repeat that in future.

I acually realised that Hantuchova belongs to that category as well. (And good old Patty as well)

Stephens has a lot of potential, she is good in offense AND defense and that means a lot.
Comparable to Clarissa Fernandez then

Sent from Verticalsports.com App

Quote:
Originally Posted by honzaneumannn View Post
So who will win the next 6 Wimbledons? Petra 2 of them, thats for sure. And dont even try to tell me that you see some hotter candidates than hers!
Marcus1979 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #47
country flag DemWilliamsGulls

DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute DemWilliamsGulls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you get the hype about Stephens?

I think Americans are just glad to see that someone else is coming from the drought to possibly save American tennis. Venus and Serena has been the only hope for slams the past 10 years. Blake, Roddick, and a few others ...hasn't really lived up to the hype...no youngers on the womens (or men) side has shown any promise till now. The fact that Sloan is another sista following in Venus and Serena's footsteps excite me personally...because the only reason I started watching tennis is because of The Williamses. So I think the hype is pretty much well deserved, she beat a legend and made it to her first semifinal...I see a lot of potential in her...I just hope she doesn't let us down. I will be supporting this young sista...lets go baby girl...WE HAVE BEEN WAITING!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #48
country flag missvarsha

missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future missvarsha has a brilliant future

She seems more emotionally mature than Stevenson, and just has a bigger game than Oudaise, the last two great American hopes, so I feel that she is here to stay. You can't really compare her to Clarissa Fernandez and the like, cause she was already close to the Top 20 before the AO so it's not like this is a one and done fluke deal.
missvarsha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #49
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Back to earth by now

Australian Open seem to be an outstanding highlight for her...
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #50
country flag crescentmoon

crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute crescentmoon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the hype. I just think the American public is so wanting a new face in the WTA because they know Serena wont be around very many more years.
crescentmoon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #51
country flag DeucesAreWild

DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future DeucesAreWild has a brilliant future

From a layman media standpoint, yes. From a USTA scared of when the WS retire, yes. From the knowledgeable tennis world, no.

When you look at whom Sloane beat and under what circumstances in the AO SF run, the hype is overblown. I think the hype is highlighting the fact that Sloane is not the strongest mentally. Apart from the hype and before it, Sloane's play has shown she
can get mental and lose the plot. Losing matches she should not or squeaking out matches that looked to be and should have been routine. I think that AO draw, Serena's injury, and Viktoria's drama did her no favors in hindsight. Now she is trying to live up to a consistent level that she honestly hasn't reached yet. JMO.
DeucesAreWild is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #52
country flag dagamezbest

dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold dagamezbest is a splendid one to behold

People really need to get over the whole Oudin comparison.

Sloane didn't just make the semis of Australia and instantly go into the top 20, she was already top 30 going into Australia! How can her results be a fluke?

Melanie has never seen top 30 or 20 before in her life!

A lot of people are upset but Sloane is here to stay.

I wonder how much heat Madison is going to get when she has her breakthrough, which could be coming up soon..
dagamezbest is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #53
country flag Pops Maellard
Hot Messes Need Love

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamezbest View Post

Sloane didn't just make the semis of Australia and instantly go into the top 20, she was already top 30 going into Australia! How can her results be a fluke?

I wonder how much heat Madison is going to get when she has her breakthrough, which could be coming up soon..
I think it's certainly probable Oudin would've had a top 30 ranking if she was in Sloane's place ATM with the same results she had in '09. It seems these days reaching the top 20 doesn't take consistently amazing results. Some posters say it's 'cause the top 4 are so dominant there are less points to give out to the rest, so it doesn't take as many points to be in the top 20 as it used to.

Maria
Venus
ANA
Petra
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #54
country flag StoneRose

StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute StoneRose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamezbest View Post

Agree. She's a good player. Multiple slam winner, remains to be seen.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #55
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
I think it's certainly probable Oudin would've had a top 30 ranking if she was in Sloane's place ATM with the same results she had in '09. It seems these days reaching the top 20 doesn't take consistently amazing results. Some posters say it's 'cause the top 4 are so dominant there are less points to give out to the rest, so it doesn't take as many points to be in the top 20 as it used to.
I think the only difference is that ppl fail too look at is that Sloane had Decent result at events before making the SF at Aussie Open, Oudin on the other hand really didn't she just really came outta no where beating everybody at the U.S. Open

A.Radwańska | Halep | Wozniacki | Bouchard | Keys | Stephens | Robson | Vekić | Puig
Townsend | Duval | Vickery | Abanda | S. Crawford | Chirico | Kovinić | Konjuh | Krejčíková | Siniaková | Soylu
Trey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #56
country flag shoparound

shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future shoparound has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
I think the only difference is that ppl fail too look at is that Sloane had Decent result at events before making the SF at Aussie Open, Oudin on the other hand really didn't she just really came outta no where beating everybody at the U.S. Open
Mel had the 4th round Wimbledon run right before the US Open. But Mel was also 17 years old... She was literally just starting her pro career while Sloane has had a few years already.
shoparound is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #57
Kirt12255

Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute Kirt12255 has a reputation beyond repute

I do get the hype about Stephens....loved watching her play. Unless she went on a ripping spree post AO she was always going to be dismantled on this board. Yes some dissapointing losses since but meh to that, people grow at different rates and the context of how tennis 'actually' plays a part in their life is often ignored on this board.