Do you get the hype about Stephens? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #16
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you get the hype about Stephens?

yesterday she was da GOAT and now she's hyped TF
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #17
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

She beat Serena. That is what the hype was all about. It really is a testament to Serena's greatness. I may become a fan or hers, but I will not pretend that if Serena wasn't injured, Sloane who have made the semis.
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #18
country flag JAS_

JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORZA SARITA View Post
yesterday she was da GOAT and now she's hyped TF
Beating Serena does that.
JAS_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #19
country flag JanNYC

JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future JanNYC has a brilliant future

I think the majority of her hype comes from her being a young American. If Serena had lost to any other player, under her circumstances, the talk would be about injury probably costing Serena a chance at another slam title. Add the fact that Sloane is American to the fact that Serena, as great a champion as she is, has never really been a favorite of some commentators, the hype was always going to be extra. It's quite hilarious that some of them are acting as though that match was some sort of passing of the torch, as if they hadn't seen Serena run roughshod through the entire WTA over the last seven months. I understand that not everyone will love Serena, but you'd think that they would at least recognize that she has been the only person keeping the USA relevant in Tennis for the past several years, and appreciate all that she has accomplished. Instead, they seem to be grasping at straws to find a replacement.

Last edited by JanNYC : Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
JanNYC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #20
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
She's not the next big superstar - she is just a very talented player!

(Eurosport commentator)
great source! especially if it was matthias stach

Beat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #21
country flag TZVETI83

TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanNYC View Post
I think the majority of her hype comes from her being a young American. If Serena had lost to any other player, under her circumstances, the talk would be about injury probably costing Serena a chance at another slam title. Add the fact that Sloane is American to the fact that Serena, as great a champion as she is, has never really been a favorite of some commentators, the hype was always going to be extra. It's quite hilarious that some of them are acting as though that match was some sort of passing of the torch, as if they hadn't seen Serena run roughshod through the entire WTA over the last seven months.
Exactly, I remember a thread on here calling her the next Serena Williams

Give me a break, while she is talented there should never have been this type of hype, she is not the second coming of Serena or Venus. The same happened with Oudin.

Just wait and see, I just hope Stephens doesn't read this forum otherwise the pressure would have definitely got to her. LOL
TZVETI83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #22
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of her game. Her strokes aren't that attractive to me and I don't see a lot that's not already done better by others. But good on her for having a nice run .

Come Along If You Need A Break From Tennis, But Want To Stay On TF.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #23
country flag SVK
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute SVK has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure she will be a noted player in the future, if she stays healthy (that´s important thing, we have had countless cases of injuries of promissing players). She is 19 and already making results. Robson is similar case. They are both young and the WTA tour won´t look like now in, lets say 10 years. Who is going to replace current TOP player? The likes of Cohen or Bratchikova? No, of course the likes of Stephens, Robson and co. Hyping young players is a normal thing, they are the future and if they are winning of course the hype will continue. Is she going to win slams? That´s difficult to say because you never know which of the youngsters will actually make a better progress. I remember thread about Azarenka vs. Paszek few years go and most of people actually said it will be Paszek who will have a better career and you see how it is now. It is possible that despite Stephens will be lets say TOP 5/10 player there will be some other players who will dominate. This doesn´t change anything on the fact that yes, I actually get the hype about her.
SVK is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
country flag End da Game

End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light End da Game is a glorious beacon of light

I get that she's done well and has great potential, but yeah I don't hype her up like the commentators and pundits, but I suppose thats what they're paid to do - hype up stuff. I can see why some people are excited, because the state of teenage players in recent years has been pretty piss poor. But to put things into context, sharapova at the same age was light years ahead of stephens today.
End da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #25
country flag Aravanecaravan
The Aravane Caravan

Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute Aravanecaravan has a reputation beyond repute

American tennis fans, and especially American media are desperate for something to talk about re: the future, because once Serena goes, it's going to be a desert. IMHO Keys has more potential, but neither really looks like a worldbeater so far. Stephens was highly fortunate to play a hobbled Serena, but a couple hundred other players could have also wiped Williams out that day with her back in that condition, so I don't think a whole lot can be gleaned from Sloane's run to the SF here. She's likeable, has a solid game, has potential, but that describes a lot of players in the 10-50 range in the rankings, IMHO.

Garbiñe Muguruza * Julia Goerges * Heidi El Tabakh * Sania Mirza * Louisa Chirico * Tamira Paszek

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
Aravanecaravan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #26
country flag nfl46

nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of nfl46 has much to be proud of
I don't care if Serena is in a wheelchair playing tennis, the fact that she beat her is good enough. Hell, an injured Serena would have beat 95% of the tour the other day.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #27
country flag roguedandelion

roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all roguedandelion is a name known to all

The hype is unbearable. I was rooting of Vika even though I hate her just so ESPN would shut up about Sloane for two seconds. Serena almost beat her on one leg.
roguedandelion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #28
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
When she had a look at a title just weeks ago & Vesnina went thru her, that raised some questions about how she handles pressure.
But Oudin didnt handle the hype at all. Give Stephens a chance. She definately has talent. Ultimately its mental, when you get near a title, or play a big match as the favorite.
Vika had a lot more to lose in that match, but she was thrilled that Serena wasnt playing
Good Post. I think Stephens has great potential physically, but needs to get mentally tougher. Even when Serena was physically struggling, Sloane nearly gave the match to her. Hopefully, she will get mentally tougher very soon. If not, she will not go very far.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #29
country flag Shooter

Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future Shooter has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
i don't condone hype, but stephens just reached a slam SF and beat the best player, so it's not that hard to understand that there's a buzz.
Like other posters have said, there's too much buzz. It's damaging to Sloane. Puts too much pressure on her. Also, it seemed like the announcers had something against Serena. Seems like they wanted Serena to fail. I want my announcers to be unbiased and objective.

Alexandra Stevenson also reached a Slam SF. She got a LOT of hype too. But it was all misguided. That being said, I like Sloane. Hope she has a much better career than Alexandra.

BTW - Alexandra had the most beautiful serve I've ever seen.
Shooter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #30
country flag Wiggly

Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute Wiggly has a reputation beyond repute

She moves well and have a great forehand but there's many weaknesses in her game.
Her attitude is also very questionable and she was afraid to go for the winner against Serena.

It's all due to nationality.
You give her and Andy Murray a Slovenian passport and they would as much press as David Ferrer.
Wiggly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote