Do you get the hype about Stephens? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future
Do you get the hype about Stephens?

She had solid results and definitly has a good potential. But she didn't play sensationel or anything like that.

Be honest: If Williams wasn't injured, she had never won that match!

Would the headlines all around the world be the same then?

I'm not saying she's not a future talent but this semi was a gimmick! Fantastic draw and then all this luck with Williams' injury... I don't see here any different than before the tournament. And actually I think the way she handled Serena's injury in the 2nd set was quite poor...
Navratil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future
Re: Do you get the hype about Stephens?

I get it for sure.

Doesn't mean it's a bit unwarranted though, she has a long way to go; winning a match by playing great tennis against a top player would be a start.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
country flag TZVETI83

TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future

She has potential but there are many others players who have much more, if she wasn't from the USA nobody would even be mentioning her name, she is definitely not the next Serena or Venus. She will be lucky if she is the next Chanda Rubin.
TZVETI83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navratil View Post
She had solid results and definitly has a good potential. But she didn't play sensationel or anything like that...
Who said that? Name names!

But I won't be holding my breath you will mention even one name.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
country flag Navratil

Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future Navratil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZVETI83 View Post
... She will be lucky if she is the next Chanda Rubin.
I thought the same

And there are actually a lot of similarities: power forehand, solid serve, abbility to volley, good movement and variaty of shots!

And: an Australian-Open semi

But Rubins was way more spectacular and she almost made the step to the final!
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
country flag Navratil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Who said that? Name names!

But I won't be holding my breath you will mention even one name.
Me!!

But to be honest it was pretty much what German Eurosport commentator said during the match!
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
country flag bobito
Tennis 'toonist

bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute bobito has a reputation beyond repute

The only uninjured players that she beat were Halep, Mladenovic and Jovanovski so I do think people are getting a little carried away.
bobito is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #8
country flag TZVETI83

TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future TZVETI83 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I thought the same

And there are actually a lot of similarities: power forehand, solid serve, abbility to volley, good movement and variaty of shots!

And: an Australian-Open semi

But Rubins was way more spectacular and she almost made the step to the final!
Exactly, and at about the same age too!

But Chanda was more talented in my opinion.
TZVETI83 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
country flag Raiden

Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute Raiden has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Me!!
Then you are the culprit, doofus.

Your ARE the guilty one who's responsible for any Sloane hype.

Yet here you are, falsely pretending to be an innocent bystander and wondering what is going on.
Raiden is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #10
country flag JarkaFish
Multiform

JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future JarkaFish has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
The only uninjured players that she beat were Halep, Mladenovic and Jovanovski so I do think people are getting a little carried away.
Please stop, she'd beat Robson even if she was uninjured most likely; Sloane's defense just makes Robson shit the bed just like Niculescu's defense and etc.
JarkaFish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #11
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Two immutable laws of TF:

* players always get hyped after a couple of somewhat notable wins
* players always get bashed as soon as it turns out that the hype was premature

Nothing to see here, move along
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #12
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

When she had a look at a title just weeks ago & Vesnina went thru her, that raised some questions about how she handles pressure.
But Oudin didnt handle the hype at all. Give Stephens a chance. She definately has talent. Ultimately its mental, when you get near a title, or play a big match as the favorite.
Vika had a lot more to lose in that match, but she was thrilled that Serena wasnt playing
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #13
country flag Beat

Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute Beat has a reputation beyond repute

your threads =

i don't condone hype, but stephens just reached a slam SF and beat the best player, so it's not that hard to understand that there's a buzz.

Beat is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #14
country flag JAS_

JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute JAS_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I get it. Typical American hype. Why, few days ago there was a thread here obout the article: 5 reasons why you should like Madison Keys. http://tennis.si.com/2013/01/16/madi...stralian-open/
The author just happened to put the eggs in the wrong basket, but if Keys or Hampton were in Sloan's position you'd be getting the same hype. On the other hand, if she were not American, she would now be hammered on twitter.
JAS_ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #15
country flag Navratil

She's not the next big superstar - she is just a very talented player!

(Eurosport commentator)