AO SF: Azarenka def. Stephens 6-1, 6-4 - Page 14 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #196
country flag Temperenka
V-I-K-A

Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AO SF: Azarenka def. Stephens 6-1, 6-4

Hopefully all of this nonsense fires Vika up tomorrow.

Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #197
country flag gmak

gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute gmak has a reputation beyond repute

Vika
should've been much easier though
too much drama for no reason

one more
Dementieva Clijsters Safina Novotna Davenport Seles Pierce Mauresmo Bovina Vaidisova Golovin Spirlea Farina Likhovtseva Monami Halard Rubin Bedanova Tulyaganova Maleeva Zvereva Sabatini
gmak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #198
country flag Steff_forever
GIMME SHELTER

Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktymise View Post
My thoughts:

1) Vuvuzenka was within her rights to take that timeout. But really, she should have known better. She's not some catty, mid-ranked journeywoman who is desperate to win her first SF of a 25k in Mali or something. She's the world #1, with plenty of experience at this level. Honestly, if you need a 10 minute break to disrupt the momentum of some rookie who isn't close to your level then you deserve all the shit that you get.

And the crowd are going to be dead silent if she wins on Saturday. She's not even a pantomime villain; crowds just genuinely dislike her, and her generic brand of tennis doesn't do anything to help that.

2) Stephens has a long way to go before she starts contending regularly deep into the second week of slams. She deserves credit for holding it together in the 3rd set against Serena, but gamewise, apart from being super athletic, and having a decent 1st serve and FH, she needs to put in a whole lot of hard work. Really crap BH, non-existant ROS and the inability to play consistently aggressive from the baseline. She was clearly a few levels off the pace for most of the match today.

It's great for the game that she made the SFs, but unless she improves quite a few things in her game, I don't think she'll be making this sort of thing a regular thing.
sums it up quite well...

so my hope is on Na for Sat and Sloane reaching another GS SF one day with matured skills mixed with variety (and a top player on the other side who's not afraid of really fighting it out in a tight situation).
She's on my watch list since losing to Sabine at Wimby '12. Hopefully she's inspired by that loss and not corroded by yearning to reach this stage of a GS again.

Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Annika Beck

forgive, you will never reach the level of my loyalty for the best that has ever played:
__Steffi forever__

Steff_forever is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #199
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane is keeping it classy:

"Stephens, though, said the delay of nearly 10 minutes before she unsuccessfully served to stay in the match had not bothered her. "I did lose the next game," she said, "but I wouldn't say that's because of the medical timeout. I love Vika and we share the same agent. We actually are pretty good friends. I'm sure I'll see her and we'll talk about it. I hope she wins the final. It's happened before. I've had it in the last match, medical breaks, go to the bathroom, the whole showdown. It was just something else, but it didn't affect anything."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ustralian-open
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #200
country flag Temperenka
V-I-K-A

Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute Temperenka has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane is great. Completely worthy of being my #2 favorite.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #201
country flag Roookie

Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute Roookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sloane She started really nervous and Azarenka moonballed to her backhand to death Still loved how she was able to frustrate her at the end I can't wait to see her on clay which I think will be her best surface!

Azarenka definitely added more weight power to her game she came out firing and with smart tactics. I almost feel for her when the crowd was imitating her grunt (as last year) but that MTO was her usual poor sportmanship to stop Sloane's momentum. Some of the respect I gained for her during the match went away by the end.
Roookie is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #202
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the big leagues Sloane. So proud of her for keeping it classy till the end.
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #203
country flag oh yeah i guess

oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of oh yeah i guess has much to be proud of

I made the mistake of reading more than 3 pages of this thread, and I have to say, gotta love the irrationality of much of the TF population.

Unsurprisingly many probably would have preferred she fainted on court rather than seeking necessary assistance. Simply sad.
oh yeah i guess is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #204
country flag Sally Todd

Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute Sally Todd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roookie View Post
Sloane She started really nervous and Azarenka moonballed to her backhand to death Still loved how she was able to frustrate her at the end I can't wait to see her on clay which I think will be her best surface!

Azarenka definitely added more weight power to her game she came out firing and with smart tactics. I almost feel for her when the crowd was imitating her grunt (as last year) but that MTO was her usual poor sportmanship to stop Sloane's momentum. Some of the respect I gained for her during the match went away by the end.
Perfect synopsis and I couldn't agree with you more about Sloane and clay.

She already uses claycourt positioning on hard courts, and she's capable of a much heavier topspin ball than she was hitting in Melbourne.

Hilarious avy btw.
Sally Todd is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote