Some things never change - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
Some things never change

English player Dora Boothby, who won Wimbledon in 1909, recalled:

Quote:
Without doubt my most exciting match was the final last year at Wimbledon. In every player's heart there must be a faint hope that one day she may win the All England Championship. At least it has always been in mine.

From Christmas and all through the spring my family and friends had dinned into my ears that now was my chance, and if I did not win this year I never would. Only when I was leading one set up and 2-love in the second did all these things flash across my mind. I suddenly got nervous. Oh, the misery of it! I served double fault after double fault (I learnt afterwards that I gave away sixteen points in this way), and my friends told me that it was a relief to them when my service went over the net at all, however slowly. My opponent, Miss Morton, caught up, won the set 6/4, and led me 4/2 in the final set. All this time I had been fighting hard to regain confidence. At last my nerve came back--I was determined to win, and, only after a very great effort, just succeeded in capturing the Championship with the narrow margin of 8/6 in the final set.

It was not until I had finished and had come off the court that I realized how very excited I had been, and how relieved I was when it was all over. Only those who have had experience can know how exhausting it is to concentrate one's whole thoughts and efforts, without cessation,for an hour or more. Fortunately you do not feel the strain until afterwards, when it does not matter, and then you can look back with very great pleasure and satisfaction on a hard-won fight.
That was more than hundred years ago. Game has evolved a lot since, but psychology hasn't changed a bit. Marion Bartoli told pretty much the same in her post-Wimbledon interviews.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
country flag Spencer.
New Caro Stan!

Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute Spencer. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some things never change

As much as I hate it when my faves choke, it is such a mental game you cannot be mentally sound 100% of the time. The pressure the emotions the tension the stress makes me nervous just watching. Tennis is all about movement and positioning and being mentally unprepared can cause a game to break down. Takes a lot of mental strength to become solid during tough moments. I admire anyone who works on being mentally stronger as well as physically. I can barely maintain my mentality playing practice sets against friends. Could never imagine doing it in the finals of any tournament, let alone Wimbledon!

We'll always have Wimbly 07
Spencer. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, I'm glad she made it

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
country flag TennisPhan

TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future TennisPhan has a brilliant future

best way to win a slam is to not give a fuck
TennisPhan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
edificio

edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute edificio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
English player Dora Boothby, who won Wimbledon in 1909, recalled:

Without doubt my most exciting match was the final last year at Wimbledon. In every player's heart there must be a faint hope that one day she may win the All England Championship. At least it has always been in mine.

From Christmas and all through the spring my family and friends had dinned into my ears that now was my chance, and if I did not win this year I never would. Only when I was leading one set up and 2-love in the second did all these things flash across my mind. I suddenly got nervous. Oh, the misery of it! I served double fault after double fault (I learnt afterwards that I gave away sixteen points in this way), and my friends told me that it was a relief to them when my service went over the net at all, however slowly. My opponent, Miss Morton, caught up, won the set 6/4, and led me 4/2 in the final set. All this time I had been fighting hard to regain confidence. At last my nerve came back--I was determined to win, and, only after a very great effort, just succeeded in capturing the Championship with the narrow margin of 8/6 in the final set.

It was not until I had finished and had come off the court that I realized how very excited I had been, and how relieved I was when it was all over. Only those who have had experience can know how exhausting it is to concentrate one's whole thoughts and efforts, without cessation,for an hour or more. Fortunately you do not feel the strain until afterwards, when it does not matter, and then you can look back with very great pleasure and satisfaction on a hard-won fight. end quote

That was more than hundred years ago. Game has evolved a lot since, but psychology hasn't changed a bit. Marion Bartoli told pretty much the same in her post-Wimbledon interviews.
Yes, you need great mental fortitude to win these events. Mental exhaustion is definitely a thing. I don't know why people don't realize that.

Consequently, it is nice to see a young player, like Simona, win tournament after tournament--and in a few she's had to set aside some bad moments of play and pull it together to win. She had a lot more pressure on her (along with greater expectations) to win ToC than her other tournaments, too. Impressive.
edificio is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #7
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute

Blast from the Past is a good reading.

Quote:
September 2-10, Pacific Coast Championships, Monterey, California, USA (Hard)

FI: May Sutton d. Hazel Hotchkiss 7-5 4-6 6-4

CR: May Sutton d Florence Sutton (holder) 6-0 6-2 (*note Mark has 6-1 6-2 as score-check)

MX:May Sutton/ G.C. Young d. Hazel Hotchkiss/Melville Long 6-4 8-6

Crowd in an uproar as May stalls in 2 set intermission, taking tea for 20 minutes on the clubhouse porch while Hazel steams on the court. This is the most talked about match of the year on the women's circuit.

"May took the first set 7-5 by running around her backhand. Hazel fought back to take the second at 6-4, with a mixture of drop shots and smashes. Feeling that she had May on the run, she was waiting on the baseline, eager to get on with the crucial third set, when May sauntered off the court without a word, announced regally to the umpire that she felt like a cup of tea, deposited herself in a wicker chair, and sat in silence until a waiter appeared from the hotel carrying her tea on a tray. Twenty minutes later, May was ready to resume play, and she pulled out the final set, 6-4." (From "The Story of Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman" by Herbert Warren Wind.)
Yeah, some things never change, May Sutton, arguably the best player of her time (the early 20th century) with Dorothea Lambert Chambers AND Hazel Hotchkiss, was a supreme b***!

The MTO in 1910 was called a COT (Cup of Tea)!

Last edited by Hugues Daniel : Nov 6th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #8
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Great reads, thanks.

When Justine retired from the 2006 AO final, I immediately thought of the '33 Forest Hills final and the controversy that poured from that retirement.

Yeah some things never change.

A few years before May Sutton, the likes of Juliette Atkinson and Marion Jones played five set major final matches in those dresses. And then scrawny teenage girls like Seles and Hingis played them in the 90s and who knows if and when the women will ever play them again.

But we know one thing for sure, these tennis playing women are tough and great and with interesting personalities. That's something that will never change.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

About Suzanne Lenglen (Wikipedia):

Quote:
Temperamental, flamboyant, she was a passionate player whose intensity on court could lead to an unabashed display of tears.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
aka hitting a wall
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #11
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisPhan View Post
Navratilova d. Jaeger, 1983 Wimbledon

also possibly: Graf d. Hingis, 1999 French
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #12
country flag JohnMcP

JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues Daniel View Post
About Suzanne Lenglen (Wikipedia):

Didn't she drink brandy during the changeovers? And her outfit was actually considered risque for that era (she was the first one to expose her ankles).

Thank God some things do change. Although the brandy part might make things more interesting.
JohnMcP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #13
country flag JohnMcP

JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all JohnMcP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post
Navratilova d. Jaeger, 1983 Wimbledon

also possibly: Graf d. Hingis, 1999 French
I think Andrea admitted that she tanked that match, but by that time her heart had been won over to philanthropy and helping kids.

On the other hand, Hingis definitely didn't tank her FO final against Graf. That was the one slam she did not have and wanted it badly. She just couldn't handle the French crowd and was beaten by a player "who had a little success in the past."
JohnMcP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #14
country flag VeeJJ
Flawless

VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute VeeJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Idk for me it's just getting that rhythm. I always try and warm up for at least an hour before matches. If I don't start a match hitting the ball half decent it's hard for em to find it. Especially against a choppy player. I live for the pressure though. I just zone in when it's crunch time. and if I have been hitting well I can find those low percentage shots or dig it out. I just really have to feel good before a match.

Victoria Azarenka ~ Venus Williams
Maria Kirilenko ~ Petra Kvitova
VeeJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #15
country flag KarlyM*

KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold KarlyM* is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Crowd in an uproar as May stalls in 2 set intermission, taking tea for 20 minutes on the clubhouse porch while Hazel steams on the court. This is the most talked about match of the year on the women's circuit.

"May took the first set 7-5 by running around her backhand. Hazel fought back to take the second at 6-4, with a mixture of drop shots and smashes. Feeling that she had May on the run, she was waiting on the baseline, eager to get on with the crucial third set, when May sauntered off the court without a word, announced regally to the umpire that she felt like a cup of tea, deposited herself in a wicker chair, and sat in silence until a waiter appeared from the hotel carrying her tea on a tray. Twenty minutes later, May was ready to resume play, and she pulled out the final set, 6-4." (From "The Story of Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman" by Herbert Warren Wind.)
KarlyM* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote