Is Sloane Stephens the new star USA have been waiting for? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Sloane Stephens the new star USA have been waiting for?

Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:32 AM   #16
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Sloane Stephens the new star USA have been waiting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
And saying Keys has a better future than Stephens is not hype? Who has Keys beaten? There is a case to be made that Kerber´s poor passive play all tournament was a result of own her back injury and Keys couldn´t take advantage like Stephens today. Stephens has shown an all around game with a good serve, a big forehand, some variety on the backhand and good volley skills. All I have seen from Keys so far is a big forehand and a big serve. Hradecka and Gajdosova possess those, too. Doesn´t mean shit, if you cannot defend.
The paradigm from the 1990s/early 2000s was to identify the young player with the most power. The assumption was that said player would eventually learn to harness that power and then dominate.

I think, for me, Henin really changed the paradigm a little. Defense matters a lot more than it used to, particularly the transition from defense to offense. Also, the reality is that many players have power they never learn to harness consistently.

I think we shouldn't hype either Stephens or Keys, but Stephens is the first teenager into a slam semi-final in since 2009 US Open (Wozniacki).

Last edited by mboyle : Jan 23rd, 2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Did my research. I was wrong.
mboyle is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:34 AM   #17
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

It's too early too tell, luck played a huge role in her run.

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 04:34 AM   #18
country flag ACEof DIAMONDS

ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold ACEof DIAMONDS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
The paradigm from the 1990s/early 2000s was to identify the young player with the most power. The assumption was that said player would eventually learn to harness that power and then dominate.

I think, for me, Henin really changed the paradigm a little. Defense matters a lot more than it used to, particularly the transition from defense to offense. Also, the reality is that many players have power they never learn to harness consistently.

I think we shouldn't hype either Stephens or Keys, but Stephens is the first teenager into a slam semi-final in five years, I believe.
Don't forget about court speed. Slowing down all the damn courts turned defense into a luxury.
ACEof DIAMONDS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:08 AM   #19
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

After her win @sloanetweets went from 17,000 followers to 35,000 followers

• Maria Sharapova • Dominika Cibulkova • Ksenia Pervak • Eugenie Bouchard •
• Andy Roddick • Mikhail Youzhny • Grigor Dimitrov • Novak Djokovic •
tumblr.graphics thread
Julian. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:16 AM   #20
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloque View Post
For the moment yes. I somewhat suspect Keys to become better though.
yea looking at their games ud think that once they have matured further, madison keys would have a bigger game than sloane.

that being said..temperament is another big factor and sloane looks solid in that department. madison hasnt been around as long for us to make a case in this regard.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #21
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

the angel, my baby Julian, you don't even like this chick. why are you creating all these threads about her? lemme go wake slamchamp up.
HRHoliviasmith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:20 AM   #22
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute Julian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
the angel, my baby Julian, you don't even like this chick. why are you creating all these threads about her?
I only created this 1 thread about her and I don't have to like someone to create a thread about him/her, do I?

tumblr.graphics thread
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:21 AM   #23
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

GM always does the absolute most whenever an upset happens, proclaiming players as 'future' 'next big thing' 111

It's funny cause Solane fans, who have been following her, are not the ones hyping her up, but the fairweather fans. This match is probably the first time some of you even saw her play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Atomic Bomb View Post
Don't laugh at your superiors. Bow down bitch.
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:30 AM   #24

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
I only created this 1 thread about her and I don't have to like someone to create a thread about him/her, do I?
no you're right. i'm sorry. but i don't like her anymore and so sick of seeing her name everywhere.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM   #25
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

The hype machine is wild now. I hope Sloane can handle it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:32 AM   #26
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

She seems so motivated, fit, and full of weapons. I can't see her not being successful. Yes, this run has been somewhat lucky, but a lot of us saw this coming for a while now.

And maybe Keys will be a threat by Wimbledon.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:34 AM   #27
Royals.

Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute Royals. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
GM always does the absolute most whenever an upset happens, proclaiming players as 'future' 'next big thing' 111

It's funny cause Solane fans, who have been following her, are not the ones hyping her up, but the fairweather fans. This match is probably the first time some of you even saw her play.
EXACTLY. None of them took interest on Sloane before. Now they wanna jump in the bandwagon.
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:38 AM   #28
country flag Julian.
Keep calm and be gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
no you're right. i'm sorry. but i don't like her anymore and so sick of seeing her name everywhere.
Why? Because she beat Serena?

tumblr.graphics thread
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 05:42 AM   #29
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLaura View Post
The hype machine is wild now. I hope Sloane can handle it.
I hope Laura knows how hard you work for her.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 06:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian. View Post
Why? Because she beat Serena?
she's right up there with your girl.